• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Photo gallery of Open triangle Full suspension frames ONLY

NeilP

1 GW
Hi All
Creating this thread so if any one comes across a frame with a big open triangle that also has some form of rear suspension...be it long travel or an older short travel 'soft tail' type bike, I'd like to see a collection of pictures here.

Just a pic with a name is enough. Don't want this thread to become a discussion thread, like this previous Suitable full sus" thread. Just a gallery of bike frames, old and new that can be used for an e-bike build with all the electrics safely tucked away inside a box within the frame.

What follows is a couple of short paragraphs explaining why I'd like this

My first pic is to explain why I want pics and names of these sorts of bikes. This is my bike, my every day ride and yes ...non suspension, with all electrics hidden in one place, in a nice big easy to construct box. Looking for frames with that sort of layout and also some rear suspension.

I help many people with advice on bike builds. I show them pictures of bikes on here, some neat and well done, with electrics all neat and tucked away like my Mongoose, but also others rather like many of my own 'experimental ' builds, with batts and wires everywhere, many like something out of a mad scientists lab.

Most potential e-bikers really need full suspension, not for off roading but to compensate for poor riding style. They really do need some sort of rear cushioning..to save the rear wheel from too hard a life on the road; speed bumps, pot holes, pavements etc. They often do not know they need it, till they ride one of my project bikes that does have small travel 'soft tail rear suspension, then they do think it is a good idea.

A heavy e-bike does give the rear rim a beating if not ridden with care...and most people do not ride with care, especially if they have not built the wheel themselves. These people ride my soft tail and like it, but they also want all the electrics hidden away as per my Mongoose . Most full suspension bikes DONT allow for this sort of build. They turn up with all sorts of bikes that will make the build difficult.

I want to show a list of bikes with pics that they can look out for, on flea bay etc, that are both full sus AND have an easy frame triangle shape that it is easy to get a box made to fit in the frame to the wires and batts both centred and hidden.

This is why I am asking for pictures and frame names only no discussion please :D

P1090915 small 800.jpg

SO....Please POST ONLY Picture and name of model, year etc. of any bikes that have rear suspension BUT with NO suspension parts within the triangle AND the bike has a big open triangle

Does not matter if they only have an inch or two of travel..Not necessarily looking for pics of bikes with 5-6 inches of travel for 40 mph off road and big air jumps. If it has rear suspension of any sort to give some comfort/ impact cushioning of a heavy e-bike at speed on the road ...No need to bring up the subject of balloon tyres, I do know that is another way..NOT INTERESTED FOR THIS THREAD>>>JUST WANT TO GET A LIST OF BIKES WITH PICTURES

I'll start off with a few

This is not a perfect example of this model, as it has a sloping top tube, so reducing the triangle . Earlier models had a straighter top tube and bigger triangle

Mission merida LRS
meridia.jpg

1991 ish Boulder Gazelle and Defiant
91BoulderSide.JPG

1992 Fisher RS-1
RS192Siide.JPG

Manitou 1995
ManitouFS.jpg

Yeti FRO:
Retrobike-3.jpg

GT LTS3

IMG_3263 small.jpg

Yes...and so will probably come up cheap on e-bay ./craiglist/ gumtree etc. if you know what to look for..I never knew there were so many frames available, so I wanted to to get a list of them..especially the older ones that may appear cheap as used bikes...and a list with photos...the others thread got polluted with modern frames with no triangle..despite the OP asking for a frame with big open space.

Specialized Stumpjumper/Ground Control FSR 1994-97?:

IMG_1681.jpg

images

Carver FS fat bike, big modern frame with effective suspension :wink:

228224d1169311978-balance-fs-mountain-bike-balance.jpg

Balance FS, a retro that works

Drunkskunk said:
The newer versions have the shock in the triangle, but the early version had the shock along the left seat stay.
Yep, very good handling with all Specialized light weight enduro bikes.
This older version leaves the triangle free for batteries, but the shock is the only one in the world that fits there. Proprietary components are a PITA when maintenance time comes. Life is so much easier with standard parts.

Trouble with those two is that the Carver has suspension stuff within the triangle and the Cannondale, although a great bike has that bent top tube, so difficult to make a nice folded box to fit easy in the frame

Back