Please help me decide LiPo/A123 (electric outboard)

6349577_pic.jpg

6344159_pic.jpg

70mm2 wire with 350A Anderson Power Connectors.
Mounted 10x 6s 5000mah Lipo into one toolbox which is now 44,4v 25Ah.

In the toolbox is space for another 10x 6s 5000mah :!:

Hello all,
Your e-boat project sounds very interesting and I have always wanted to one too. But what little e-time I have, I have spent on ebikes and emotorcycles.
Your friends are right on with the motor rating vs duty cycle vs cooling and about 6 other variables to keep happy, or the end result is expensive toast.
One point I wanted to add to cooling, in general, was what altitude is your lake at? I ride my bikes where I live near sea level and the temps all seem fine.
When I ride my bikes at 7000ft, the heat just does not seen to dispate. To keep from toasting the motor, I have to keep a close watch the on the gearing and duty cycle.
It would help for me open cooling ports in the motor casing and install a fan.
The Plattenburg motor you want to use could work if you provide enough cool air, like in a speeding airplane. Plattenburg offers some of their motors in helicopter versions that have built in fans.
The advantage to forced air or water cooling is less over all weight and potentially better cooling and higher duty cycle. But you have more mechanical complexity. The cooling drive requires some power and gearing is complex.
Designing gearing for high rpm motors are a headache in their own class.

A heavy framed motor has a limited average duty cycle. Once its heat soaked, it needs a cooling period or its toast. The duty cycle maybe enough for you uses. Its mechanically very simple, but heavy. Gearing is also simple.

If I could replace my etek motor with the Plattenburg, on my motorcycle, I could save 10-15 lbs weight.

I'll watching how your project progresses. Good luck.

Edirtbiker

Back