Programming Alltrax AXE controller

AnsonK

10 µW
Hi,
I have a 2006 ZAP truck with an Alltrax controller. I need to reprogram it. Wondering if anyone knows where the serial port is. Is it under the round black rubber thing on the face of the controller?

Yes, I believe it is under the rubber plug. There should be a DB-9 connector there.
Do you know which model it is? Attached is a manual for the AXE series. This should be very close.

Attachments

• AXE-Operators-Manual.pdf
    268.9 KB · Views: 2
Thank you! My controller looks like it's the longer, higher amp version. I need to reprogram the controller to work at a lower amperage. It keeps tripping the BMS on the basically brand-new Lifepo4 battery the previous owner installed.

Do you already have the Alltrax software? SHould be this for the AXE

Is the BMS setup with that current limit to protect the cells (meaning, is the cell current spec what the BMS limit is based on), or is it just a cheaper BMS than was actually needed for this system, so it can't handle the higher current required?

If the cells are capable, then a better BMS (or setting the BMS limit higher if it's programmable) would also be an option.

Thanks for this, Amberwolf. I downloaded the software and driver and will try to reprogram the controller soon.

It's possible that the battery pack I have has cheap cells AND a cheap BMS... the cells are undoubtedly cheap. They are 90ah with a .5c rate of constant discharge, if I remember correctly, and the overcurrent protection trips at 1c. So I will dial back the current to 10 percent and see if what I get is drivable. I don't have a way to measure current yet. Down the line I might install a high current Cycle Analyst, especially if it turns out my existing throttle is 0-5v. (Haven't figured that out yet).

Best,
Anson

If you need a cheap way to measure votlage, current, Ah/Wh, etc, you can use things like this easily enough:
They dont do what the CA does, and may not be as accurate, but they usually work ok for the other stuff.

That's a good idea.
Connected laptop with RS232 to USB cable.
Haven't managed to get the controller software to recognize the controller yet, but working on that between one thing and another. It could be the cable, it could be the controller, it could be that I am using a Mac with a virtual machine to run the Windows-only Controller Pro software. Lots of trouble shooting to ensue.

Back