Propane Hybrid Side-Car

Hello,

I am coming to the end of a very exciting electric motorcycle build. I have an old Honda CL 175 that I have stripped and converted to a plug-in electric.
Current system is as follows:
-Honda CL 175 frame, wheels, brakes with updated suspension
-Montenergy ME1003 DC motor
-24 CALB 72Fi Lithium Cells for a 72V system and 72AH
-12A 1200Watt smart-charger
-Lights and accessories are on a separate batt.
-Alltrax controller.

I am now exploring the feasibility of an auxiliary system that would ride in a side car next to the bike and house a small, 2000Watt propane generator that I could use to extend the range. I believe this is called a series-hybrid?
I understand that the generator could not provide the power needed to run the bike indefinitely but I wold like to be able to run the generator and charge the battery while riding on the same pack. I would be looking for a 30-40% increase in range mostly on the highway at a cursing speed of 55-60mph.

I have seen systems like this in electric car conversions and like the idea, I am just now working out the tech.
In envision a 2000watt propane generator and a typical BBQ tank of propane riding in a custom aluminum side car. The whole thing shouldn't need to be heavier than 175lbs.

My questions are;
- Would the generator be able to charge the batteries through my 1200watt charger I already have on board WHILE the batteries are under the load of the motor?
- Does a 175lb side car, a 350lb bike, and a 120lb rider just add too much resistance to gain any kind range?
- Any other input from the community here on this idea? I looked up the topic on the search engine here but came up with nothing specific to go off of.

Best, Hank

montgomeryhank said:
- Would the generator be able to charge the batteries through my 1200watt charger I already have on board WHILE the batteries are under the load of the motor?
Depends on the load. If it is higher than 1200watt, then there will be no actual charging going on, just reduction of the discharge of the batteries by that amount. If it is lower than 1200watt, then if the charger can output that indefinitely, then it would continue until the generator runs out of fuel.

Actual range extension percentage will depend on the ratio of discharge to charger output, times the length of time the generator will run it.

- Does a 175lb side car, a 350lb bike, and a 120lb rider just add too much resistance to gain any kind range?
Depends more on the aero resistance of the sidecar plus bike/rider, vs the bike/rider by itself, as far as riding at continuous speeds goes, or riding on the flats.

If you're doing a lot of stops and starts (or hills), then the weight matters more than the aero.

Back