• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

puncture proof, airless tire, .. almost there.

Architectonic said:
How well does ghetto tubeless hold up against nails etc?

That crap is a hobby. You already have a hobby.

Chalo said:
Architectonic said:
How well does ghetto tubeless hold up against nails etc?

That crap is a hobby. You already have a hobby.

Ok, thanks.

I wasn't intending to make my own sealant or anything like that, I was just interested in the reliability of it eg Stan's tubeless method for tyres/rims which were not originally designed for tubeless.

My coworkers seem to have to mess (literally) with their improvised tubeless setups at least as often, and at greater length, than they'd have to fix plain old flats. Watching them has effectively prevented me from wanting to give it a try.

WOW! I just got my 2.0 x 26" Schwalbe Marathon Plus's today, and i am pretty impressed They are over a pound each, and the rubber tread is taller and more substantial than any tire i've seen, outside of a mountain bike knobby tire.

Almost all my flats have been from riding up sidewalk curbs too hard, the spoke breaks at the elbow then punctures the tube from the inside. I just had another flat yesterday just like that. I've been using a couple layers of electrical tape as tire liner to help prevent that but I ran out and had nothing there to prevent my most recent flat. I can only remember one or two flats being caused by debris passing through the tire in my case. I never have flats or broken spokes on the front wheel, only the rear with the heavy motor.

electr0n said:
Almost all my flats have been from riding up sidewalk curbs too hard, the spoke breaks at the elbow then punctures the tube from the inside. I just had another flat yesterday just like that. I've been using a couple layers of electrical tape as tire liner to help prevent that but I ran out and had nothing there to prevent my most recent flat. I can only remember one or two flats being caused by debris passing through the tire in my case. I never have flats or broken spokes on the front wheel, only the rear with the heavy motor.

All spoked wheels require a rim strip. If you have a single-walled rim (with spoke nipple heads protruding on the inside surface), you can get away with a rubber band rim strip. Those are so cheap I don't charge for them at my shop. If you have a double-walled rim (with the spoke nipple heads down inside holes) than you need a fabric rim strip or tape. That's $2.50 to $4 per wheel at my shop. Electrical tape is not a suitable substitute for either kind of rim strip.

If you don't use an adequate rim strip, you'll get punctures on the spoke side of the tube regardless of how you ride.

Spoke breakage is usually a matter of poor quality spokes or (more often) sloppy build quality. A well-built wheel generally won't break spokes even with impacts hard enough to buckle the rim inward.

Uh, not to brag too much, but i just pulled this out of my Schwalbe Energizer Plus's after JUST 20 miles of riding here in Utah.

schwalbes_rule.jpg

I have pulled 3x of this crap out of the tires since i've owned them. No flats.
Some of this aforementioned crap has been sticking outside of the edge of the tread.

Pretty amazing.

That's consistent with my experience of the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, which has a protective belt twice as thick as the Energizer Plus.

how about this...get a kenda airless EZN innertube and put it inside a tubeless tire. there should be enough air to give it the same feel as a regular tire, but if you ever do get a flat you have the innertube to get you the rest of the way to a shop/home.

Back