Tire levers, moped tires, and tubes

Just an update to this, after about three years:

A couple years in the original tires wore down enough to need replacing (they're still usable but down past the tread, look more square than round in profile now). Only one flat that I recall, was a slow leak kind of thing. No, wait, there were two--the second was a year or more later, right at the end of life for the tires, and was because of the thinned center tread area, I forget what the puncturing item was.

The second set is still going strong.

The rims and spokes have been great, though I damaged one rim with a serious pothole impact I could not avoid; no spoke damage, but the bead bent inward almost flat in that spot. Tire/tube was fine, and just kept riding to work. No longer trued, but ridable.

Later the same wheel got another bend in the rim next to the first from yet another unavoidable serious pothole. Still no spoke/tire/tube damage.

The tires *do* make a difference in efficiency--run at their rating abotu 35psi, I get less miles per wh than with the bicycle tires, I forget exactly how much poorer it is, but it is noticeable. I've added a lot of stuff ot the trike in the same 3 years, so it's gotten heavier, and less aero, and there's more loss from those than the tires. ;)

Back