Pushed my bike to the limit today downtown

morph999

100 kW
What a blast. I noticed that if I pedaled and floored the throttle, I could out-accelerate most of the cars. I was actually beating cars to the next stoplight. I would floor the throttle then pedal really fast, people riding along side me in cars did a double take. hahaha. This was just on 36v of lifepo4. Can't wait to get my other 12v pack on there. I got it up to 29.5 mph just on 36v without pedaling.

I just realized something. Now that my batteries are much lighter, I can stand up and really pedal hard without feeling like the bag on the back is going to fly off. I actually was standing up and really pedaling hard today. I never could do that with 40 lbs of SLA on the back. I'm going to have a lot of fun this year goofing with drivers and beating them to the next stop lights.

EDIT: also, the batteries did not even get warm even though I was full throttling it most of the time. I'm impressed.

I know what you mean. The weather is breaking and spring is right around the corner. I went for a ride today and it was great(granted I only had 24 volts @ 7ah). It was fun while the batteries were alive. I need to go lifepo...haha. It was fun except for me taking a spill at 10 mph(I'm fine, just my ego is hurt a little...lol).

Yup, with my 36V LiFePO4 and 35A controller I can beat pretty much any car off the line, when I bump it up to 48V it's no contest. I choose not to however because the bloody cagers usually refuse to let me into the lane and I might go sailing into the back of a parked car. Or have them go sailing into my backside... It really is funny though watching them rev their engines like crazy and try so very hard to beat me because they don't want to get stuck behind a bike. All the while I know that if I choose too I could beat them.

Demosthenes said:
I choose not to however because the bloody cagers usually refuse to let me into the lane and I might go sailing into the back of a parked car.

That's why you never move out of the lane. I believe it's generally considered safer to stay in the same position in the lane and not go swerving in and out of parked cars. I usually stay in a position far enough into it that people opening car doors can't get me either.

I do love riding downtown in cities though. Usually there's a nice combo of stalled traffic in some areas, with wide open roads in others. Gives me a feeling that I own the road instead of them. Plus there's usually so much to look at.

Never tease the big dog. (cars) But do stand up for your road space in a non confrontational way.

Rifle said:
That's why you never move out of the lane. I believe it's generally considered safer to stay in the same position in the lane and not go swerving in and out of parked cars. I usually stay in a position far enough into it that people opening car doors can't get me either.
I only move out of the lane at stop lights so I can push the cross signals. Then nobody lets me back into the lane....

I just realized something. Now that my batteries are much lighter, I can stand up and really pedal hard without feeling like the bag on the back is going to fly off. I actually was standing up and really pedaling hard today. I never could do that with 40 lbs of SLA on the back. I'm going to have a lot of fun this year goofing with drivers and beating them to the next stop lights.
Yup, pedaling with SLA's is a pain, Once you go Lithium you never go back.

morph999 said:
I can stand up and really pedal hard without feeling like the bag on the back is going to fly off. I.

Soooo...when you getting the lycra outfit morph? Your 260lb frame would cut a fine figure in lycra IMO :mrgreen:
and with the more aero friendly get up you could go even faster!

KiM

AussieJester said:
morph999 said:
I can stand up and really pedal hard without feeling like the bag on the back is going to fly off. I.

Soooo...when you getting the lycra outfit morph? Your 260lb frame would cut a fine figure in lycra IMO :mrgreen:
and with the more aero friendly get up you could go even faster!

KiM

I don't know I hear once you go Lycra you never go back. The next step after lycra is shaving your legs......LOL :p

http://cgi.ebay.com/LiFePO4-48V-20AH-Electric-E-Bike-Battery-Scooter-Power_W0QQitemZ180475455828QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a052ce954

Cheap, but quality isn't guaranteed. My charger died after a few weeks. They replaced it, but I had to pay to ship the broken one back. 2nd charger broken after a year but I was able to replace the blown thermistor. Battery has been mostly fine. Had to redo a few connections. Battery probably actually a little short on the amp hours but never had a watt meter to test it until the weather went to crap. Being that they auction 'em off though means you might be able to snag one for wicked cheap. Also, 50% heavier than Ping. http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/the-48V-LiFePO4-Battery-Packs/Categories
His 15ah one might perform pretty darn close to their 20ah one at half the weight.

02jze said:
Im needing to upgrade my batteries soon too. My slas are dying off. I get the low battery light on my way to work now. its a short trip so i need to look at an upgrade.
Whats the best price for a 48v battery and charger anyone got a link ??

for batteries:

elitepowersolutions.com
evcomponents.com
nilar batteries (google it)
ebikes.ca
cycle9.com
hobbyking.com
pingbattery.com

Also check out the Battery Technology section here on endless-sphere to see what people are saying about their batteries.

Best price or best value?

What's your discharge amperage?

For me, discharging 22 amps max, I can't beat the pingbattery. Sure some have had problems, but mine has performed great, and 1/2 way through the 1000 cycles it's still good. I figure it paid for itself in one year, and now I have two more years of free riding coming. With pings, you have to get 15 ah at least to match the battery to a 22 amp controller.

For higher powered bikes, you need the better cells, A123's, headways, tool packs, Hobby king lipo, etc.

Your max discharge rate will be aproximately the same as the controller rated wattage. For example, Ebikekit and Aotema both have 22 amp controllers.

The 2c cells in pingbatteries are fine for kits like that. Once you get into 35 amp or more controllers, other higher c rate batteries are a better choice.

this is a good post. Im loving riding in downtown chicago under the batman el tracks where they filmed the movie.

the 36 volt 12 ah vpower lifepo4 pack has been outstanding. No problems at all and lightweight.

i stand up too when riding. It feels like im flying.

Back