raleigh battery repair

andreaskhoi

100 µW
ive got in 3 raleigh batteries to repair, ive rebuilt all 3 packs, turns out also only one of the bms from these work. So ive got two packs without bms's. so i was wondering if these could be repaired with 3rd party bms's. I see they have three wires marked "c" "d" "r". i was wondering if these were really all that important? ive recently repaired a bafang bike which used to have comunication with the old battery but i ended up not using that and it worked just fine. if it matters the batteries are 36v 17ah packs.

Do the bikes using the batteries work if you connect the main + and - from the cells to the controller without any other wires?

If not, then their controllers probably require communication of some type (at least an enable signal) with the battery to function, and you may require the original BMS to make them work, or to change the controller/display on the bikes to ones that don't require the communication, and use a "generic" type of BMS.

If they do work with only +/-, then you can use any BMS that supports the system requirements (number of cells in series, chemistry (LiFePO4, Li-Ion, etc), max current the controller will draw worst case, and any features you want). There are many subtypes of BMS, which include

--balancing / non balancing
--common charge / discharge ports
--separate charge / discharge ports
--user-programmable for various limits
--non-programmable
--Bluetooth to a device running an app to display assorted data (and sometimes change limits)

etc.

Back