Range

Hey guys. I just read that a DIY board will run upto about 5 miles before the battery drains completely.
Is this per battery pack or for 2 packs? 5 miles would be fine for my daily school commute that's 2 miles away from my house, but that means I have to charge it if I'm planning on going somewhere else again.

It depends on which battery you're using.
You need to calculate the Watt-hours (Wh) of your battery.
Multiply the voltage with the capacity.
Example: 6S 5000mAh lipo pack = 22.2V x 5Ah = 110Wh.

As a rule of thumb you should get about 6 miles per 100Wh so for the example you'd get just over 6 miles.

Gabriel_chino said:
Hey guys. I just read that a DIY board will run upto about 5 miles before the battery drains completely.
Is this per battery pack or for 2 packs? 5 miles would be fine for my daily school commute that's 2 miles away from my house, but that means I have to charge it if I'm planning on going somewhere else again.

range depends on how many batteries you want to carry onboard. You could get 100 mile range if you carried enough batteries. Saying a board only last 5 miles without specifying battery chemistry, voltage, capacity is stupid.

I meant with the (2x) 3s 5000mAh most usually use like what Trbt555 specified. I'll probably end up buying $100 worth of batteries just to go around 12 miles.

Another noob follow up question: what's the maximum amp discharge of 18650 packs? How come it's not common in elongboards, but common in ebikes? DIY packs costs 1/2 to 3/4 of lipo packs.
My guess is that ebikes usually runs with 48-96volts rather than usual 6s or 22.2volts.

Gabriel_chino said:
Another noob follow up question: what's the maximum amp discharge of 18650 packs? How come it's not common in elongboards, but common in ebikes? DIY packs costs 1/2 to 3/4 of lipo packs.
My guess is that ebikes usually runs with 48-96volts rather than usual 6s or 22.2volts.

18650 packs are composed from different cells (Samsung being one of the better i feel). Different cells have different capacity and discharge rates. So some will allow higher discharge than others, and others will have higher capacity.

HTH - GL!

Back