• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Rear wheel 8 to 7 speed

E-HP said:
Even if you end up shifting for some reason, 7 speeds are all you need for a hub motor, since you need to maintain decent speeds to keep your motor from frying itself on climbs anyway, so the really low gears don't get used. <sorry, that was a long sentence>

Do you have more on this?
I recently went to a lower gear for big hills carrying a heavy load (~300 # with trailer).

I'm also frequently biking w/out any motor input at all, which I've heard can be bad for hub motors.

What makes low speeds and driving w/out motor input bad for motors?

batpot said:
E-HP said:
Even if you end up shifting for some reason, 7 speeds are all you need for a hub motor, since you need to maintain decent speeds to keep your motor from frying itself on climbs anyway, so the really low gears don't get used. <sorry, that was a long sentence>

Do you have more on this?
I recently went to a lower gear for big hills carrying a heavy load (~300 # with trailer).

I'm also frequently biking w/out any motor input at all, which I've heard can be bad for hub motors.

What makes low speeds and driving w/out motor input bad for motors?

I was referring to riding slow under motor power, so with high loads (climbing) and with the motor running slow, there's a lot more heat created. I try to maintain over 12-13mph if I'm climbing 15%+ with my rear hub to avoid meltdown.

Not being a know it all, but never heard of pedaling with the motor off being bad. If it's a direct drive hub motor, it would be bad for the rider trying to pedal with the motor drag, but it wouldn't damage anything. Anybody else have input on that one?

Re the low speed question, I think the point was that one way to burn up an underpowered hub motor is to start on flat ground at full throttle, then head up a steep hill, and as the speed drops, keep it at full throttle and start going thru the gears as the speed drops and drops, until the motor is barely turning, with no back EMF to slow down the full throttle current.
So low speed and gearing down isn't a problem, as long as one isn't cranking the throttle and having unrealistic uphill speed cravings.

7sp is fine you need friction shifters non index. For you new brake levers with cutoff and so the throttle fits. brake levers with cutoff should come with kit as with controller and throttle. The most important part is getting a good battery not some cheap no-name AliExpress bulshit.

Back