Recommend heavy duty/semi heavy duty bike stand

ebike11

1 MW
Hi guys
Can anyone recommend a heavy duty yet small and compact stand for heavy ebikes. I dont have a garage and I cant lift my bike while removing the qs motor in the rear. Maintenance on the rear motor is hard. I suppose there are motorcycle types but Id like to get something small. I seen one video where an ebike was being lifted by the stand at the center where the bottom bracket axle ends were inside the grooves of the stand.
Something like this but I dont see a logo

https://youtu.be/49HcfEGKJ1s

Thanks in advance!

Look at motorcycle stands, because that sure isn't a bike service stand.

It's far from ideal but if you need a 'hack' you can either hook the front of the seat over a tree branch/board of the appropriate height, or use a strap attached to the seat/top tube area to suspend the rear wheel. If you don't have a garage or a convenient tree, you can add an eye bolt to a ceiling joist.

I flip my bikes upside down for servicing, always did with bicycles and just continued with ebikes. I build them for this though, because many bikes I see would damage some gadgets doing so. :wink:

A bike work stand, wether you buy or make it, need at least to let you set working height, otherwise it is more like a storage or demo stand that is not practical for maintenance.

Its hard to flip "bicycles" upside down when they start weighing a lot with a battery and heavy motor
or have weight in odd area's.... like a battery on the rear rack

I have something like this - the issue at the rear is clearance of the derailleur, it works, but is not ideal

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7S7LNNFL/title/motorcycle-lift-stand---front

PRW said:
I have something like this - the issue at the rear is clearance of the derailleur, it works, but is not ideal

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7S7LNNFL/title/motorcycle-lift-stand---front

The problem with rear bike stands is that the connect to rear frame points that the ebike frame doesnt have

Get or borrow a 4 inch grinder. and and a little MIG welder then find an old bed frame in the trash that's all you need. why because they have for pivoting anchor points where you can shorten or lengthen reweld them together and use that pivot points deform a pyramid. oh you would also need a drill and bolts maybe some two-by-fours to attach it to. Fabricate. Feel good about yourself.

I have used my park tool prs-25 up to 65 lbs without issue, but not sure how heavy you need to go

999zip999 said:
Get or borrow a 4 inch grinder. and and a little MIG welder then find an old bed frame in the trash that's all you need. why because they have for pivoting anchor points where you can shorten or lengthen reweld them together and use that pivot points deform a pyramid. oh you would also need a drill and bolts maybe some two-by-fours to attach it to. Fabricate. Feel good about yourself.

I live in the city with no garage. Wont be welding anything..prefer to buy

You can rent a garage stall whats called DIY garage repair.
You can buy a 120V welder, maybe out back of a Walmart that has an outlet lay some beads.
I once painted a car with spray paint behind a Walmart :lol:

ebike11 said:

This seems to be a theme of yours.

Thus my advice is, when your bike needs anything, take it to a professional and pay him to take care of it.

MadRhino said:
I flip my bikes upside down for servicing, always did with bicycles and just continued with ebikes. I build them for this though, because many bikes I see would damage some gadgets doing so. :wink:

A bike work stand, wether you buy or make it, need at least to let you set working height, otherwise it is more like a storage or demo stand that is not practical for maintenance.

I do the same.

Anything I mount on the bars is low enough so the grips are what touch when flipping the bike over, I have a small accessory bar in front of my handlebar to mount my cycle analyst and headlights that keep those low and out of the way.

For flipping it, my bike's weight is biased toward the rear, so I stand on the left side of the bike, so my strong side is toward the rear, bend over the bike, and grab the chainstay with my right hand, and usually the fork leg with my left hand, mainly to stabilize, since my right side is carrying most the the weight. I lean the bike into me, while lifting, so the bike rolls over. I'm really only carrying the weight of the bike for a moment as the bike rotates over, to rest on the bars and seat. Similar technique when turning the bike back over, but easier, since the weight of the motor is now on top, so when leaning it towards me and rolling, the weight actually helps to get the bike flipped.

Getting old and have a bad back, so most of my lifting involves technique. I called a junk moving guy a month ago to take away some old and extremely heavy couches from my house. One skinny old guy showed up, and I asked where his helpers were. No helpers, he moved both couches, squeeze them through the front door sideways, had to make a narrow bend at the corner of the entryway, down 8 or 9 steps, then down the sidewalk to his truck, and rolled it up onto the truck bed. Pretty amazing since I could only lift one side of the couch, and I'm probably still pretty strong for my age. He said when he was young, he moved everything with brute force, but his dad said once he gets old, he'll need to learn how to use technique to do the work, so when he got over 50, his dad's advice kicked in. Before he started, he scoped out everything, and knew how he'd handle each of the hard parts. He removed other junk, like a 200lb wood chipper from my backyard. The truck bed was pretty high, and I helped him one time, just to balance, not lift, the chipper, but he didn't really need the help.

markz said:
You can rent a garage stall whats called DIY garage repair.
You can buy a 120V welder, maybe out back of a Walmart that has an outlet lay some beads.
I once painted a car with spray paint behind a Walmart :lol:

Not doing that just for a stand..im sure there is a stand out there for heavy bikes..just gotta keep searching. Thought they would be common on here since a lot of members have heavy bikes

Chalo said:
ebike11 said:

This seems to be a theme of yours.

Thus my advice is, when your bike needs anything, take it to a professional and pay him to take care of it.

Chiming in with useless comments seems to be a common theme of yours

MadRhino said:
I flip my bikes upside down for servicing, always did with bicycles and just continued with ebikes.
Yep ... that works if you have a puncture away from home as well (assuming you also have a flat kit and air pump) :D

ebike11 said:

In that case have you considered building this with two-by-four? Wouldn’t be strong as something made out of metal but it could offer you a stand while working.

I have been using one of those $15 suspended bike storage pulley systems, screwed into the bottom of a deck joist. You stated you don't have a garage, but if you can find a ceiling joist that would be strong enough to suspend a heavy bike. Mine holds a 85lb.+ utility ebike without problem, usually hooked by the handlebars and seat, or handlebars and rear rack, depending on which angle I need.

E-HP said:
For flipping it, my bike's weight is biased toward the rear, so I stand on the left side of the bike, so my strong side is toward the rear, bend over the bike, and grab the chainstay with my right hand, and usually the fork leg with my left hand, mainly to stabilize, since my right side is carrying most the the weight. I lean the bike into me, while lifting, so the bike rolls over. I'm really only carrying the weight of the bike for a moment as the bike rotates over, to rest on the bars and seat. Similar technique when turning the bike back over, but easier, since the weight of the motor is now on top, so when leaning it towards me and rolling, the weight actually helps to get the bike flipped.

Getting old and have a bad back, so most of my lifting involves technique.

How about this technique:
I lock the rear brake and back up the bike by the handlebar until it is standing up on the rear wheel in front of me and the rear mudguard touches the ground. Then I hold it by the stanchions and back up some more to lay the handlebar down to the ground.

My back is good now, most of the time. Yet, using technique instead of force is something I started young. The farm work and livestock are forcing you to find solutions to spare your bones, and stone masonry too, just as well.

99t4 said:
I have been using one of those $15 suspended bike storage pulley systems, screwed into the bottom of a deck joist. You stated you don't have a garage, but if you can find a ceiling joist that would be strong enough to suspend a heavy bike. Mine holds a 85lb.+ utility ebike without problem, usually hooked by the handlebars and seat, or handlebars and rear rack, depending on which angle I need.

The upper balcony frame should be OK to hang pulleys, or else ask the neighbors kid to go buy a sky hook at the corner hardware store. :twisted:
Still, it won’t stand still. You might need a set of pendulum Allen keys. :mrgreen:

MadRhino said:
How about this technique:
I lock the rear brake and back up the bike by the handlebar until it is standing up on the rear wheel in front of me and the rear mudguard touches the ground. Then I hold it by the stanchions and back up some more to lay the handlebar down to the ground.

My back is good now, most of the time. Yet, using technique instead of force is something I started young. The farm work and livestock are forcing you to find solutions to spare your bones, and stone masonry too, just as well.

That's a good one, and probably easier, but since I have a rear rack that won't support my bike's weight, it's trickier to get it flipped all the way over. But that's how I always did it for my pedal bikes.

The best technique for dealing with heavy stuff, that I've developed recently, is to ask my son-in-law, or my other daughter's boyfriend to move it for me :lol:

https://youtu.be/2tA-fvTJGWE

Among others ... Google "DIY Bike stand".
A lot depends on which wheel one needs to get off the ground.
Rear wheel is simple ... front wheel, not so much.

I saw another but being senile, I can not longer find it.
It was made from a bit of of 2x4 scrap and intended to go under the bottom bracket.
Best I remember it looked something like this and had an addition hole intended to allow it to be "clamped" to the down tube.
(rough sketch)
Wooden Bike Stand.jpg

Back