Regenerative Motor without slowing down

Samd said:
Thats not so.
Samd....I am not trying to go over unity. :D

Samd said:
You inferred you weren't chasing overunity quite a bit earlier, then went on to state a number of logical fallacies that breached your statement.

Feel free to point them out.

Samd said:
So I tried to spell out the simple equations of motion and the flaws in converting the energy, and you wrote me off with anyone else who tried to state the obvious.

I didn't write you off. I heard you 100%

Samd said:
You thought I was taking the mickey with the flywheel comments? It's certainly more practical and just as an expensive waste of time as what you propose above...

OK, now you have confused me... are you taking the mickey or not? I mean if it is practical how can it be a waste of time. As I have stated, flywheels seem heavy for a bicycle. Not to mention all the inertia issues. Nope, not something want to work on. :D

Over unity? Is this conversation only regarding the improbable, or is it ever going to take a tangent which allows it to be useful to the common Joe?
For myself, regen has an immediate benefit, if only at a small capture-rate. So, can this conversation be about "without slowing down very much", because I'm really interested in hearing about capturing enough power to handle the trivial (? :lol: ?) things like light and communications.
Using regen for those things would be a boon regardless, as they are almost imperative for an E bike, don't you think?
A modest CycleAnalyst is a communication device. Lights are lights.
If I'm off-subject here, I apologize.

HAROX said:
Over unity? Is this conversation only regarding the improbable, or is it ever going to take a tangent which allows it to be useful to the common Joe?
I hope so. A lot of negativity popped out on this one. Not to dismiss the intelligences of those who posted. There is a lot of very smart people on this forum.
HAROX said:
For myself, regen has an immediate benefit, if only at a small capture-rate. So, can this conversation be about "without slowing down very much", because I'm really interested in hearing about capturing enough power to handle the trivial (? :lol: ?) things like light and communications.
I am with you on that front. How much extra can we gain?
HAROX said:
Using regen for those things would be a boon regardless, as they are almost imperative for an E bike, don't you think?
I think so. Others don't.

ebeach, always remember, when it comes to me, i am one who can be (almost) diplomatic when asking what others would regard asinine nonsense. I don't mind being the one to do it. In a similar thread, I said, every couple months someone poses these questions and the answers get closer, to which, Dauntless asked "closer to what?"
Dauntless said:
POOF!

They charge the battery. A penny's worth?

To you (HAROX), even more than those usually asking that question, I have an analogy. It's been said that if you were stranded with no food or water except celery, you would die sooner if you ate the celery. For the effort of getting a stalk of it and chewing/digesting it, not only are you using more energy than you can get from celery (This is why it's considered diet food) but the SALT would dehydrate you faster. Now, can you convince yourself, starving as you are, to NOT EAT THE CELERY????

It's an expensive diminishing return, ebeach.

Light generators, which unfortunately wear out the wall of the tire, and hub generators, and regen capable hub motors, are, to some, a mess, and a DRAG to ride :lol:
And still, some power can be generated, maybe at great expense. I see bikes with hub generators all the time, though not many wheel wall powered light generators anymore. However the bikes with hub generators produce nominal wattage, used for lighting and not much more.
I guess when you asked that question, the logical answer was to discuss unity. Obviously it's a burdensome PITA to wade through.
...and all for the sake of a frikken light...give me a gas lamp...i have algae on the brain

amberwolf said:
The only way i can think of that you could take any energy from the motor without slowing it is to take the waste heat away from the motor and use that to do whatever you want. Such as putting Peltier junctions within the motor, and tapping the voltage across them. While they are very inefficient, at least taht would not cause the motor to slow down by taking that energy away.

OK, thinking about efficiency and Peltier. Lidmotor has been a favorite of mine on YT for several years now. His projects are always fun. The payoff is at the end of the video so stick with it. Epically for those of you who live in places where it gets hot! This is a thought about capturing heat for voltage in not only the motor, but also the controller or any other place where your bike gets hot.

Efficiency. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2wmjKLRl8s&feature=plcp

90__320x240_benshotfirst_web.jpg

John in CR said:
AW,
Too bad there's not a way for you send the thread to overunity.com where it belongs.

Yeah, and if there can be a Unity College, why not an OverUnity College? A lot of teams have won victorys over Unity College.

Well DANG, there's a whole bikerbar section that could have it's own OverUnity forum. And let's not forget cheerleaders for our OverUnity College.

cmualisha_rickman_0a.jpg

unity_nrrw.jpg

HAROX said:
Using regen for them is an extremely inefficient way to power them, if you intend to get that regen at any time other than braking for the explicit purpose of slowing down.

If you are trying to accelerate or cruise at a speed, then you are wasting power by regenerating power from the motor, because every bit of power you take out will have to be replaced from teh battery, and it will take notably more power to do that than you took out. You'd be lucky if it was 60-70% efficient, and I'd bet on less than 50% (meaning you are throwing away more than half the power you could have used to simply power the devices directly from the battery).

If you are only using the power from braking, then there's no efficiency loss there, because it would ahve been either lost or put into the battery anyway.

But as I've said before, and you'll see if you try the experiments:

--Any power you take off the motion of the bike/motor/wheel will slow it down.

--To get back to speed you have to take more power from the battery.

--With a dynamometer and the right Wh measuring equipment, you can test the amount of power going in and coming out of each stage of your power conversion (battery to controller, controller to motor, motor to ground), to see the power losses at each stage, to find your actual efficiency of them. That will let you see exactly how much power you lose every time you pull power from teh battery to regain speed in the motor/wheel/bike.

--you can also use the same Wh measuring equipment to test the amount of power coming back out of the regenerative (or other) power pickup from the motor/wheel/etc., which then goes into whatever conversion electronics you build or have, and then into the devices to be powered from them or the battery if using it to recharge the battery.

--Then you can see the full efficiency of the entire cycle of power you're recapturing and re-using.

Once you know that, you can see directly how ineffficient the power recycling method is, vs simply direclty tapping it from the battery in the first place.

An alternate method is to setup the bike on a dyno (to eliminate all road and weather variables), and try the test first with:

--pulling power for all the accessories/etc directly fromt eh battery

--pulling power for them from the motor

Then you can see the Wh used for the exact same speeds and distances will go up for the latter instance, vs the former. That shows you the percentage of inefficency of the latter method.

If you don't see the problem after doing the experiments, you probably haven't instrumented correctly, or are not doing the exact same test run between the two. ;)

Yes, you *can* power all your stuff from the motion of the bike. It's the same thing as hooking one of the old friction generators to your bike wheel, even if it's mechanically different, it is sthe same in principle. But it is less efficient than doing it from the battery directly, and will result in shorter range and lower overall usable battery capacity because of the higher drain on the system.

If you're expecting to be able to pull power from the motion of the bike/motor/wheel and use that power for something else, without having to put even more energy back into it than you got out, and still maintian the same speed, then you *are* expecting over unity.

Please, try the experiments! :)

miuan said:
aw, you're being too patient :)

And we appreciate that. :lol:

Hi e-beach.

Joined the forum recently, but have been interested in electrics for a while now.

While I respect what else others have had to say, even agree with it to a point there are always two sides to the coin I believe.

I have built and tested unusual designs of motor/generator configurations where there is no BEMF applied when the stator is short-circuited, or loaded. To really understand what is going on you must analyze the concepts of induction closely. What Id also like to point out is that there is still alot of confusion in regards to terminology and in general the entire process. This can complicate things, the use of the word "overunity" is a classic example.

Physics on the basic level says energy can never be created or destroyed, merely transformed. It also states that you cant get out more than what you put it, the process of Entropy dissipating energy through the system so that the total efficiency of the system is less than 100 %. Most people fail to recognize that this is only applicable to a CLOSED SYSTEM. And unfortunately, pretty much all our electrical devices are designed to run in a closed system. So the general understanding is that once energy enters our CLOSED SYSTEM it will be subject to resistance which leads to heat dissipation, and thus less than 100% of the energy ends up driving our load. Thus overunity is impossible. But if one was to add, say, a solar panel, or a method to convert heat back into electrical energy then one would essentially be operating an OPEN SYSTEM, one where energy is allowed to enter into the system, and has not been furnished by the user.

The thing is, science still hasnt caught up to make this a viable and intelligent solution, but that doesnt mean it is impossible.

People above have suggested that it is impossible to turn an electric motor with an electrical input, and then draw power from the electric motor from generator action without causing the motor to slow down. The effects of BEMF and CEMF are well documented on conventional designs. And actually can be tailored to the users advantage, i:e, one can get the motor up to speed then using BEMF/CEMF one can cause the motor to become a regenerative brake.

Where things get interesting is when people think outside the box. It is possible through clever design to develop a generator that has no CEMF, that is when the stator (coils) are shorted there is no corresponding backloading of the prime mover (device turning the generator). Infact I have actually seen designs that SPEED UP when loaded. I can point you to some examples if you like.

Please understand that while the above designs display promise and future possibilities they are not classified as OVERUNITY. I prefer to measure there COP (co-efficient of performance). It is entirely possible to have a COP of greater than 100% that still conforms with our present understandings. A heat pump does this all day.

I will probably recieve backlash for some parts of this post. There are always people that disagree. The fact remains, there are a number of motor/generator designs both past and present that do not follow the same rules everyone is used to with "off the shelf" technology. They are worthy of note, and study, but development of a "gamechanger" is no easy feat. The brushless technology we have today is very good at doing what it does, conversion of electrical energy into mechanical energy efficiently. To develop a design that provides torque and horsepower as well as develop electrical energy requires a complete redesign of motor/gen topology.

Perhaps those with an open mind might enjoy reading the following pages.

http://www.totallyamped.net/adams/

There is some good information there that may encourage others to start thinking outside the square.

Regards

Back