Replica ebike - 1881

^^ First post in this thread? A woodcut "picture" of Gustave rolling on Paris streets... So I guess a "one of" in ebike terms, but he built other battery stuff too. Boats and broaches, and a piano, etc. :)

I meant did you build yours? Yeah, Trouve's is famous, but apparently no photographs and some disagreement on what it looked like. Such an exciting time to go to your garage to whip something up and you make history with it.

And his was the first public exhibition at the International Exhibition of Electricity in Paris, but there were others known to exist before it. Such as:

Ayrton_Perry_Electric_Trike_1882.jpg

^^ Hehe... WRONG DL... hehe... earlier in this thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25295&start=75#p381144

The trike pictured was put together by English Professors William Ayrton & John Perry in London in 1882.

:wink: :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_photography

Includes:
In the mid-1820s, Nicéphore Niépce first managed to fix an image that was captured with a camera, but at least eight hours or even several days of exposure in the camera were required and the earliest results were very crude. Niépce's associate Louis Daguerre went on to develop the daguerreotype process, the first publicly announced and commercially viable photographic process. The daguerreotype required only minutes of exposure in the camera, and produced clear, finely detailed results. The details were introduced as a gift to the world in 1839, a date generally accepted as the birth year of practical photography. The metal-based daguerreotype process soon had some competition from the paper-based calotype negative and salt print processes invented by William Henry Fox Talbot. Subsequent innovations made photography easier and more versatile. New materials reduced the required camera exposure time from minutes to seconds, and eventually to a small fraction of a second; new photographic media were more economical, sensitive or convenient, including roll films for casual use by amateurs. In the mid-20th century, developments made it possible for amateurs to take pictures in natural color as well as in black-and-white.

So newspapers in the late 1800s were still full of images made by stamping out line drawings carved into wooden blocks.

file.php

Curious... Can ANYBUDDY "beat" Gustave Trouvé date of April 8th, 1881 for riding on ANY wheeled "motorized" vehicle? :roll:

LockH said:
Curious... Can ANYBUDDY "beat" Gustave Trouvé date of April 8th, 1881 for riding on ANY wheeled "motorized" vehicle? :roll:

Um, since Gus DID NOT ride on an electric vehicle on April 8th, 1881, or any OTHER day for that matter. . . . What? You DIDN'T know that the first public appearance and the only recorded operation wasn't until November at the at the International Exhibition of Electricity in Paris? Prior to that the pictured English vehicle that was being readied for market and the French effort of Charles Jeantaud (First to set a land speed record) are documented but not EXHIBITED publicly. Jeantaud was the first to use a STEERING WHEEL. Maybe you should get interested in his associate, 'Electric' Count Gaston de Chasseloup-Laubat, who actually drove for the record.

That picture of yours, that's created much later. Gus wasn't even the operator of his vehicle at the exhibition, though your graven image depicts him. It hadn't even been until August that he'd announced the creation of the motor he was going to use.

On 1 August 1881 Trouve made his benchmark report to the French Academy of Sciences, stating: “I had the honour to submit to this Academy, in the session of 7th July 1880, a new electric motor based on the eccentricity of the Siemens coil flange. By suggestive studies, which have allowed me to reduce the weight of all the components of the motor, I have succeeded in obtaining an output which to me appears quite remarkable.

A motor weighing 5kg [11lb], powered by 6el of Plante producing an effective work of 7kgm per second, was placed, on the 8th April, on a tricycle whose weight, including the rider and the batteries rose to 160kg [352lb] and recorded a speed of 12km/h.

Maybe let the world know EVerybuddy is wrong `cept you...
http://www.electricvehiclesnews.com/History/historyearlyIII.htm

^^ :lol: :lol:

I see that this thread is over 1 year old but, I just ran across it.
I have been working on a "practical" replica of the Trouve modified trike.
It isn't exact but I think that it is pretty close.
My build uses the Starley Coventry Lever trike as opposed to the rotary trike, based on the famous artist impression we have all seen. I made the decision before I read the Kevin Desmond biography on Trouve. The artist impression appeared more like the lever trike based on the what Trouve's foot was resting on. Granted this is just an impression from and artist and should not be considered accurate. Unfortunately nearly all the Trouve archives were lost in a fire in 1980. I could not find an actual reference that stated he used a rotary over the lever trike. I am not saying I am right, just that we can't be certain. If anybody can find an actual reference let me know. There was not a reference in Desmond's book that I could find. I have built mine so it can be used as a regular trike or electric powered.
It is not finished but "roughed" together.
It would not let me post a photo.

Westok

The rear battery box is done but not mounted at time of photo. This was the first time it was on its wheels. It did work but not pleasant to pump.

Attachments

• Trouve trike.jpg
    Trouve trike.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 676
Awesome replica! Don't forget the rider of the replica bike has to get a top hat as from the pic:

file.php

3Color-Steampunk-Hat-DIY-Mad-Hatter-Top-Hat-Victorian-President-Traditional-Wool-Fedoras-Hat-Uncle-Sam_637x.jpg

Believe it or not, I have already ordered one.
I have the trike apart now for grinding and painting. I'll post more pix in a couple of weeks.

Back