Reversable Brushless motor controller

Geoff V

100 mW
Gentlemen

I've been running a large Turnigy outrunner in an electric outboard motor leg with different RC ESC's and have become tired of ESC problems (another story).
IMAG0344.jpg
I wish to use an electric bike controller but need to be able to reverse the motor direction which I currently achieved with two relays, swapping two of the phase wires. My concern is, if I have to fit Hall sensors to the motor will I also have to switch these to achieve reverse? and what would happen to the 'timing' of the sensors?

As this application has very low starting torque I would be quite happy with a controller that does not require hall sensors as is the case with RC ESC's, can you suggest a suitable controller?

The installation is 24V and I normally run at 300-400w but on occasions it is desirable to have 700-800w available for emergencies.

This morning I tried an Ecrazyman 12v 18A controller to see if it would run sensorless, without success. I also have a GNG1 48V 480w controller but am not hopeful that that will be any more appropriate.

One possible solution might be the Golden Motor BAC-0501?

Your comments and advise would be greatly appreciated.

GeoffV

Not sure how it works, but my el cheapo 12 fet Ebay controller came with a two wires hanging out of it labeled reverse switch. Connect the plug, and the wheel goes backwards, but not as fast. Reverse is also engaging a speed limiter.

Should be able to find one someplace. Mine is a Yi Yun YK89, in 48v 40 amps.

That's a sensored controller. Reversing sensorless simply requires a switch to flip from blue yellow green to green yellow blue for example. Flip the wires to the end sensors.

Hello Dogman , I just bought one of the controllers you have , the Yiyun YK89 1000watt , and it is without English instructions or labels . Would it be possible to get a diagram or a list of the wires and their corresponding uses ?

Also do you know if it is possible to run this using only the 5 thicker wires for the motor and battery and throttle and 5 hall wires , possibly even without the hall wires ?

Thanks

Fly high !

I used mine up long ago, and don't have it anymore. It did have English labels on it.

Post a good clear picture of it so we can take guesses what is what. Halls and phases should be obvious. It's a sensored controller, so you need three phases and 5 halls to run it.

The various jumpers, one should be reverse, another should be regen.

Should be easy to find the pair of wires that make it reverse.

There will be some others too, stuff like lights circuits, or door lock. And two sets of ebrake plugs.

Back