Reverse motor help needed

d8veh

1 GW
Background: I have a Q128 front geared hub-motor that I want to run at 14S for about 35mph. I needed a disc brake, but the Q128 doesn't have a mounting for a disc, so I had it machined to accept one, but somehow something got mixed up and the disc ended up on the wrong side, so I need to run it backwards. The Q-series motors are the only ones I know with a reversible clutch, so I flipped it and now the clutch works in the correct direction.

Problem: I can't get the motor to run in the right direction correctly with power.

Trials:
1. With the 20A 48v KT controller, I tried every combination of phase and hall to get three that work in the direction I want, but if I open the throttle too quickly it cuts out. If I open the throttle slowly, it goes all the way to 40 mph with no load, but if I open the throttle fully it cuts out except when under load. With a load on, it cuts out if the throttle is opened normally (too quickly for it), but when done slowly, it can be opened all the way. I could ride the bike round the car park if I was gentle with the throttle, but it didn't feel as powerful as it should.

2 I tried a replacement controller harness, battery, controller and LCD. It's always the same. One of the LCDs showed that the maximum power from the battery was about 700w under load, which might explain the lack of power, which should be 1000w

3 With a different 36v controller and battery and one of the hall/phase sequences that makes it go forward, it appears to work perfectly, but slower, of course.

4. I tried two more different 48v controllers that seem to have auto phase/hall sequence detection. With any of the 36 sequences it will run perfectly backwards.

Questions:
1. How does the controller in 3 and 4 know to only spin the motor backwards? I thought hall sensors work the same in each direction with rotational symmetry.

2. Why does the controller cut out in 1 when the one in 3 works perfectly?

3. Has anybody had success running one of these motors backwards? In theory it should be possible. Other geared hub-motors run perfectly backwards when you have the incorrect phase/hall sequence.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorted now. I tried a normal aluminium box KT 20A sinewave controller, which worked perfectly after I found the correct motor wire sequence.

I'd still like an explanation, though, why the other controllers wouldn't work.

Back