• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Ride report from Chicago

USAEBIKECO

10 kW
Wow its cold outside, but i really wanted to ride today. I broke out some of my cold weather gear I used to wear in the Army. Bacalava, gore tex jacket and pants, gunner goggles, cold weather gloves, and boots. With all that gear on I was suprisingly warm at 17 degrees and going 16mph on my cruiser.

I ran some errands that took about an hour. People were looking at me like i was crazy going into walgreens wearing all this gear and a bike helmet.Went to the bank to cash some checks. Then I rode past the old Schwinn bike factory. That factory used to be humming for like 70 years . (Yes, they used to made in USA)

Pot holes, ice, and stupid drivers are a problem on the streets so i had to watch out.

I rode about 7 miles and called it quits. My Vpower lifepo4 battery is working fine. This is the 4th ride since I got it. Good times.

Ok, so thats my riding story for today.... Anyone else been riding lately?

My lifepo4 is scheduled for delivery TOMORROW !! Hopefully, I'll get it then. I'm almost afraid to take it out in the cold for fear of damaging it so I don't know....I might wait until February.

I have not noticed any difference in the battery when i ride in the cold. The other day I got creative and put a hand warmer inside the battery compartment. Still no difference.

lester12483 said:
Wow its cold outside, but i really wanted to ride today. I broke out some of my cold weather gear I used to wear in the Army. Bacalava, gore tex jacket and pants, gunner goggles, cold weather gloves, and boots. With all that gear on I was suprisingly warm at 17 degrees and going 16mph on my cruiser.

I ran some errands that took about an hour. People were looking at me like i was crazy going into walgreens wearing all this gear and a bike helmet.Went to the bank to cash some checks. Then I rode past the old Schwinn bike factory. That factory used to be humming for like 70 years . (Yes, they used to made in USA)

Pot holes, ice, and stupid drivers are a problem on the streets so i had to watch out.

I rode about 7 miles and called it quits. My Vpower lifepo4 battery is working fine. This is the 4th ride since I got it. Good times.

Ok, so thats my riding story for today.... Anyone else been riding lately?

Hey I grew up a half block from the Schwinn factor. I was actually talking about the Schwinn factor and the park (Schwinn Park) that was across the street with a friend a few days ago. I don't live in Chicago anymore but I'm still in the west burbs.

Gotta tell ya you have bigger B. lls then I have to go out in this weather here. Especially with all the snow on the ground. Did Chicago plow the streets? Tell me is the street by the Schwinn factory still the old red brick? Damn, those were great old days!! What I wouldn't do to be 14 again but with an Ebike of course........LOL

Ruger2 said:
I haven't broke the bike out since the weather hit the teens,probably 2 weeks now. Tomorrow is another story though,mid-20s' & sunshine is right up my alley. The official total on lasts years e-bike miles was 1742 & this year I hope to break that.

To all of you illinois riders here's the latest e-rules http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...0&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=40816&SessionID=76&GA=96

Have you noticed a contridiction in the ruling? In the first statement the speed is 20mph when "solely" powered by the motor. In the second statement it says max speed of 20mph and does not mention solely. The issue being that is statement #1 as long as you are assisting the motor there is no speed limit the same as with a normal bike. But in statement #2 the max speed is 20mph even when the motor is assisted. This is the same as it was and you would think that when modifying the ruling they would correct this contridiction. After all it took an act of the general assembly to add the BS about a gas motor bike.

Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Defines a low-speed electric bicycle as a 2 or 3-wheeled device with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (one horsepower), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour. Excludes low-speed electric bicycles from the definition of "motor vehicle". Provides that a person may operate a low-speed electric bicycle only if the person has a valid current Illinois driver's license, regardless of classification, and the person is at least 16 years of age. Prohibits operation of a low-speed electric bicycle at a speed greater than 20 miles per hour upon any highway, street, or roadway. Prohibits operation of a low-speed electric bicycle on a sidewalk. Provides that, except as otherwise provided, the provisions of the Article of the Code dealing with bicycles also apply to low-speed electric bicycles.

Ya the ebike laws in Illinois were made by State Senator Heather Steans. I am in discussions with her for a possible tax credit for ebikes purchased in Illinois. Its a good idea since wind, solar, and electric cars are subsided.. why not ebikes?

Heather Steans is actually pro ebikes. She has constituants in her area that ebike who were pushing to get the law defined. As screwed up as Illinois is financially, we have a progressive goverment that is definately helping the ebike cause.

Chicago Mayor Daley is a huge advocate of bicycles. If you go downtown there are bike racks everywhere. My website has a fun bike route for tourists.

The old Schwinn factory still has the redbrick. It's on Kildare Ave. Its a warehouse now surrounded by one of the highest crime areas of the city.. :(

lester12483 said:
Ya the ebike laws in Illinois were made by State Senator Heather Steans. I am in discussions with her for a possible tax credit for ebikes purchased in Illinois. Its a good idea since wind, solar, and electric cars are subsided.. why not ebikes?

Heather Steans is actually pro ebikes. She has constituants in her area that ebike who were pushing to get the law defined. As screwed up as Illinois is financially, we have a progressive goverment that is definately helping the ebike cause.

Chicago Mayor Daley is a huge advocate of bicycles. If you go downtown there are bike racks everywhere. My website has a fun bike route for tourists.

The old Schwinn factory still has the redbrick. It's on Kildare Ave. Its a warehouse now surrounded by one of the highest crime areas of the city.. :(

It would be nice if they would at least consider upping the allowable ebike speed limit on open roads.

Back