Rim Tape advice...

What should I use for rim tape.

Sure enough, my rim didn't come with rim tape. Got lucky, since the tire went flat while the bike was loaded in the car, on the ride home. (You guys were right, check before assembling!)

So, since I'm removing the quirky roadbike tire it came with, I decided to replace it with my original Mountain bike tire. I thought I would be able to use the rim tape from it. It turns out it's kinda narrow. It will cover all the holes if I position it right but by the time I get the tire and tube in place the tape will shift and expose some of those sharp edged open spoke holes.

Will I need something stronger and wider? Where to get it if I do? could I get away with just using some pieces of adhesive tape to hold it in place?

(Three) Tires came w/"rim tapes", but beefed up now w/ "Mr.Tuffy"
http://mrtuffy.com/

Per Master Sheldon:
http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html
Tire Liners
Aftermarket tire liners, such as the well-known Mr. Tuffy, are not necessary for most cyclists. They make your wheels heavy and sluggish, and, if incorrectly installed, they can actually cause flats!

In some regions, notably the Southwestern U.S., "goat-head" (tribulus terrestris) thorns are so common that such liners, or thornproof tubes, are a desirable option.

Hehe... "heavy and sluggish"... It's possible Sheldon is still getting "up to speed" re ebikes.

I normally use a couple layers of cloth Gaffer tape.

I wouldn't use the cheap rubber tape on a double walled rim. Any of the quality fiber tapes like Kore Chastity Belt rim strips should work well. Friction tape also works well on double walled rims.

The rim strip, in addition to move around in a wide rim, can also get forced partially into the spoke holes if it's too narrow, exposing the edges. I use Stan's tape. I believe it's a polypropylene tape.

StudEbiker said:
Not sure why we're now talking about tire liners. I believe the OP was asking about rim tape. :?

One post mentions liners and one post added info about liners. Now two posts talk about why we talk about liners.

If you can't come up with proper rim tape, duct tape or gaffers tape will work. So will electrical tape. Generally at least two layers if you use whatever tape you happen to have on hand.

Hehe... and reduces flexing (bad) in the tire itself. And reduces "down times" (fixing flats). Of course, carrying a lock increases mass inertia and nobuddy does THAT anymore.

Thanks again everyone...!

4.99 got just what the doctor ordered. Went to my favorite bike shop after work, and the friendly staff helped me select the right width. It's the velox cloth stuff. Just had to open up the air valve hole a little bit. The roll was just enough to go over the rim one time with a tiny bit of extra. Seems like it should protect the rim. I like my tires pumped up to the max. I have them at 60 psi right now.

Battery charging, now hope to ride a little before dark. And the bike looks 100% better with matching tires. Now the rear rim isn't so obvious looking. Hopefully the slightly more aggressive tread doesn't hinder range so much. So far, one distance run has gotten me 24 miles, but that's for a different thread.

Attachments

• CAM00932_picmonkeyed.jpg
    CAM00932_picmonkeyed.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,432
My favorite rim tape is hockey tape. It's cheap, made of the same stuff and does the job of keeping the spokes from poking the tube. Go to Sport Chalet, and grab some Velox, and some hockey tape, compare the price and make your choice 8)

9 out of 10 times I use ordinary pvc electrical insulating tape twice around the rim. I've never had a problem with it.

Back