running ampedbikes kit at 60V

turoczi

1 W
Just for giggles I added 2 more 12V 10AH batteries to my ampedkit so now Im at 60V I still didnt notice any heat from hub or controller but it was running dangerously fast at full throttle.

How long can I do this? If its creating no heat then no problem right?

You can do it as long as you want, or live, if its dangerous.

Yeah. I guess its unnecessary but fun and without disc brakes too dangerous

if you are talking about testing the wheel by spinning it for a few minutes off the ground with 'dangerous speed' then of course it wont overheat.

If you try riding it for like say a few kilometers or so and see if it heats up much especially going up hill.

Just becareful not to blow your controller up when accelerating full throttle going up hill if you are not sure ur controller can take it.

I rode it yesterday back and forth to work at 60V.. It is unnecessary and too fast. Im dropping back to 48V.

How fast (mph) does it do on 60v?
I ask because I was thinking I'd change my 408 motor to a 406 for more speed but vendor availability is very rare these days on 406's. The motors on the ampedbikes kits seem to be just as fast as a 406 but I'd just like to verify.

406 Top speed @ 48v is 31mph.

Were you using the stock 22A 36-48V motor controller for the 60V test? I have the same ampedbikes kit and I would like to know the max voltage it can handle. Thanks

At 60V, it's likely seeing between 31-35 mph top-speed(according to my calculator).

We must have different motors, I have an amped bikes kit and its rather slow. 21-22 mph at 48v. I'm fairly disappointed, but it gets very good range, and it is cold out, so less speed= less wind chill...

nomad85 said:
We must have different motors, I have an amped bikes kit and its rather slow. 21-22 mph at 48v. I'm fairly disappointed, but it gets very good range, and it is cold out, so less speed= less wind chill...

Ampedbikes owner Danny Ray has been trying different different configurations of controllers and motors with windings for different speeds since he stopped selling Golden Motors motors. He explains that in the Ampedbike forum.

His latest batch of controllers and black colored hub motors combo that sold out at the beginning of October 2008 were his fastest (and I feel) his best. They could do 26mph unloaded and 23mph with load at 36V. Those black hub motors could do 31mph at 48V.

But staying legal is a must for him and longevity of his business so he said he will make his next batch of hub motors with windings to do only 22mph unloaded and 20mph with load (the legal limit for most of U.S.) at 36V. At 48V you should be able to get those motors to go 26mph.

I swapped out the front motor for a rear motor(I bought one of each) and man its a lot better. Feels better, not as noisy, and much faster. Only problem now is the noisy freewheel... ah well

nomad85 said:
I swapped out the front motor for a rear motor(I bought one of each) and man its a lot better. Feels better, not as noisy, and much faster. Only problem now is the noisy freewheel... ah well
Don't worry about the noisy freewheel... that's an easy fix. Just get a good quality Shimano or SRAM freewheel for around $15 - $20. I'm just glad you're getting faster speed now. That at least something that keeps me looking to buy an Ampedbikes kit in the future.

I'm anxtious to see what capabilities the new Ampedbikes controllers will have. Word on their forum is that they're supposed to be programmable/configurable thru a USB ports and have a nice digital display that will show lots of stats.

I only wish they had a pedal assist feature like my Crystalyte. The pedal assist is a big deal to me because I much prefer to control my speed with the pedals instead of a thumb or twist throttle. My hand gets numb and start to hurt after holding on to that throttle for long time too. So for now I'm very happy with the speed and features of my Crystalyte.

turoczi said:
What does the pedal assist feel like? how does it work etc?

How does i feel? It's really quite simple... you pedal when you want to go faster and... you stop pedalling when you want to go slower. Just as natural as riding a regular bike. Only difference is that you can feel the power of the hub motor assisting you. It feels great and effortless especially when accellerating or going up hills and you're still doing 20mph. DirtDad tried my ebike and described the feeling pretty acurately when he said "it makes you feel like you're Superman". :mrgreen:

The way it works is interresting and simple too. There is a small black plastic wheel with magnets that attaches to your pedal crank axle and rotates when you pedal. And then there is a stationary sensor mounted to the bike. When you pedal it turns the black wheel with magnets. The sensor "senses" the movement of the magnets and turns on the motor.

Lastly, there is a sellectable switch on the controller that lets me toggle between Pedal Assist Mode and regular Throttle Mode (yes there is a half-twist throttle on the right side of the handle bars).

Here's a couple of pics from my 2nd build showing the Pedal Assist Wheel & Sensor.

Attachments

• 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,532
  • PAS.jpg
    PAS.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,949
Back