russian recumbent ebiker - FASr7

The ebiker isn't endangering anyone but himself, and that risk is low. I split the gap on 2 lane roads all the time, and it's a lot safer than you'd think. Motos do it here all the time too, and that's not the cause of accidents. The accidents come from them not looking forward enough and doing stupid stuff that gets them right or left crossed or clipped by cross traffic. Us 2 wheel riders aren't going to give up the greater efficiency through traffic that we enjoy, so lose the jealousy. I'd also suggest losing that sense of empowerment and entitlement that some of you cagers get as soon as you get behind the wheel. It's not your place to try to police us, and that kind of attitude will only lead us to greater demonstration of our rights to space on the road as our chosen transportation becomes more popular. We pose no inconvenience to you, but if the issue gets pressed as there are more and more of us on the road we will. Expect Critical Mass type rides to increase dramatically. Imagine if very large groups start to break up into smaller blocks of riders and cover entire areas.

I go out of my way not to inconvenience motorists as I'm sure most cyclists do, but that can easily change if pushed by poor attitudes from drivers. Luckily motorists here are generally quite tolerant and accustomed to a variety of slow moving road obstacles, so everyone gets along really well. That's with the type of driving in traffic where claiming your position on the road without regard to lanes or legal right of way is the norm, though size always dominates.

I very rarely have words with motorists, and it generally stems from something they do that is extremely dangerous to cyclists. I've run across a couple of them afterward and notice much more courtesy to riders, so I think my efforts worked, and was just that the risk to riders just never crossed their mind before. If you crossed the line based on the circumstances with your cute squeeze move on me, then I'd straighten you out too, so just get over the jealously of efficiency through traffic now and relax in traffic. Stress just leads to early death. There's no reason we can't coexist in peace, and the more of us out of cars and on bikes, the less traffic you'll have to deal with. Better yet, park your car and ride more, and be more efficient through traffic to and you'll get a whole new attitude about the road too. :mrgreen:

John

x88x said:
John in CR said:
Better yet, park your car and ride more
I'd love to...unfortunately my 80-mile commute wouldn't exactly work. :(

No wonder you're so testy about those more efficient. The 80 mile commute is sucking the life and money out of you, so get rid of it.

John in CR said:
x88x said:
John in CR said:
Better yet, park your car and ride more
I'd love to...unfortunately my 80-mile commute wouldn't exactly work. :(

No wonder you're so testy about those more efficient. The 80 mile commute is sucking the life and money out of you, so get rid of it.
Thankfully, in a month or so I will have. Then I'll be down to 30...which if I work it right (have to stay off 50+mph roads..which'll bring it up to 44), might just put it within ebike range once I build mine. :mrgreen: 22 miles each way, at 30 mph max legal speed ;) ...should only be about 45 minutes versus the 35 minutes it takes by car. ..actually, crunching those numbers, I'm quite impressed by how small the diffrerence might be.

Still too far. Get it down to walking distance and really get a new outlook on life. You're only going from wasting about 20% of your waking life on getting to/from work, down to 10%. Take it from someone who escaped that rat race almost 2 decades ago, and aim for a much higher quality of life than you're settling for next month.

Walking distance to where I work is still inside the business park. :p Plus, I just bought a house, so I'm not looking to change residences any time soon.

x88x said:
Walking distance to where I work is still inside the business park. :p Plus, I just bought a house, so I'm not looking to change residences any time soon.

Congratulations. Now start your own business.

Interesting. In the movie he mentions that it is a DIY steel frame welded in the garage (except for the fork).
Riding in Moscow is scary though. In the movie the traffic is pretty tame, but more often than not it is rather hectic and aggressive.
I did some stupid things in my life but this is few steps above :) especially on a low-rider type bent.

Everyone has his own perception of what is dangerous, fun, or stupid. Skill level, experience, degree of exposition, and personnal philosophy; influence the level of fear in a particular situation. Then, fear is a powerfull motivation, to judge what we consider acceptable for us, or others.

I have seen enough to tell that, if the lack of fear makes some do stupid things sometimes, fear itself is the main reason for most of the stupid things that people do all the time.

.....you need more power!
[youtube]Zl9ACAbocZ0[/youtube]

The battery has been created not for an electric car or a motorbike,
just for my little trike:
[youtube]U3SAFnheRJo[/youtube]

So isn't this technically a recumbent motorcycle?

Personally I admire the initiative, if there were more rigs like this on any road there would be less 'traffic'.
Remember the cyclists slogan "One less car"

x88x said:
Yes, I am that guy that when I see someone in my rearview doing stuff like that, I will shift over in the lane and block them if it looks like they can stop in time.

I have a couple points here..

Please pinch me like that, I have a great lawyer, its not your place to behave that way, or are you a cop?

and more importantly, I thought splitting lanes is/was legal at least on Ca highways, something about bikes overheating....could be urban legend tho

--T

tom2slow said:

Personally I admire the initiative, if there were more rigs like this on any road there would be less 'traffic'.

x88x said:
Yes, I am that guy that when I see someone in my rearview doing stuff like that, I will shift over in the lane and block them if it looks like they can stop in time.

Please pinch me like that, I have a great lawyer, its not your place to behave that way, or are you a cop?

and more importantly, I thought splitting lanes is/was legal at least on Ca highways, something about bikes overheating....could be urban legend tho

--T

The regualtions are very different!

Here in europe we have the regulation, that you MUST pedal to have a ride. If you stop pedaling the electric motor stops.
Additional the power of the motor not more than 250Watt, the Voltage not higher than 37Volt and the assist speed not more than 25Km/h. On my motor is a sticker with 250W, but who really wanna control that.

If you don't have pedals like the russian ebiker, that's illegal!

LOWRACER said:
If you don't have pedals like the russian ebiker, that's illegal!
It ain't illegal, just need to be registered as an experimental vehicle and plated.
But in Moscow pretty much anything short of serious injury or death can be solved with "fine on the spot" method :). You just need to learn proper bribing etiquette ;).

Opening new season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6sKoMgAlLw

Zdrastwojcie:) Ja nie znaju kak zdzielac bukwy tu.
Wy mnie zkażicie, szto eta lcd?
Doswiedania:)

tom2slow said:

x88x said:

--T

Even a cop knows better than to pinch a lane.
Splitting lanes is part of CHIP training and most other Highway Patrol motorcycle cops in North America.
Do not discourage X88X from his stupid behaviour. Sooner or later, he will pinch the right guy and if he is lucky it will be a cop and he will only go to jail. If he pinches the wrong guy, evolution will happen and Darwin's theory will once again be proven correct.

2 GCinDC
my jacket is turned around body and legs with sticky strips.
I use winter studded tires - "schwalbe snow stud".
two frame pieces are held together with 4 bolts, not welded.

2 toft дисплей на руле это самодельный велокомпьютер.

a short video, side view: http://narod.ru/disk/25792806000/MVI_1109.AVI.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMuvCGXW49U

yes. now I have one big problem - too much salt on the roads.
It is possible to ride normally without dirty streams from riding car tires only under 2 conditions:
1. it should be more than 2 days after snowfall
2. the temperature should be below than -10C

Back