• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Ryobi 18v 4ah, INR18650-20Q

bluovalguy said:
BYqSXt8Z said:
I ran a test. It is important to note that there was no load on the batteries beyond the fuel gauge.
1-I put my 4 batteries (2s x 2p) in my wire harness
2- let it sit for 5 minutes
3- removed the harness and measured voltage. They were all up there (20v).

Was this the kind of situation where you had a battery going offline?

Try first disconnecting whichever battery was put in the gauge second. If I remember right, that was always the inactive one.

Ohhh because disconnecting the first one activated the second because it was the last one left?

BYqSXt8Z said:
bluovalguy said:
BYqSXt8Z said:
I ran a test. It is important to note that there was no load on the batteries beyond the fuel gauge.
1-I put my 4 batteries (2s x 2p) in my wire harness
2- let it sit for 5 minutes
3- removed the harness and measured voltage. They were all up there (20v).

Was this the kind of situation where you had a battery going offline?

Try first disconnecting whichever battery was put in the gauge second. If I remember right, that was always the inactive one.

Ohhh because disconnecting the first one activated the second because it was the last one left?

Exactly, the gauges would reset to the other battery. I guess what I said previously about unplugging them all and checking voltage wasn't accurate. You would need to check whichever battery in each parallel set was plugged in last.

If I remember right, you can get them both active with the following sequence, and then mantain a load on it to keep them going past 1 minute. Connect and disconnect battery A, connect battery B, connect battery A. In this scenario battery A would time out after 1 minute without load even though A gauge is showing full voltage on the LEDs (actually displaying battery B voltage since they are parallel.)

So here is what I did

-put in 2p1s in the first row of the harness
-put in the second 2p1s for a total of 2p2s in the harness
-removed the last battery that was inserted and test it - perfect, 21v
-proceed to test all the other batteries in reverse order, same, perfect.

It seems I can't replicate your issue on a 2p2s setup.

Do you have another suggestion for further troubleshooting? Maybe wait 2 minutes with all the batteries in the harness?

BYqSXt8Z said:
So here is what I did

-put in 2p1s in the first row of the harness
-put in the second 2p1s for a total of 2p2s in the harness
-removed the last battery that was inserted and test it - perfect, 21v
-proceed to test all the other batteries in reverse order, same, perfect.

It seems I can't replicate your issue on a 2p2s setup.

Do you have another suggestion for further troubleshooting? Maybe wait 2 minutes with all the batteries in the harness?

Yes, wait 2 minutes before disconnecting. If its still good, maybe the s/p configuration will work without issues? Would still recommend riding for awhile and make sure its drawing them down evenly. Good luck!

bluovalguy said:
Yes, wait 2 minutes before disconnecting. If its still good, maybe the s/p configuration will work without issues? Would still recommend riding for awhile and make sure its drawing them down evenly. Good luck!

Just did that 3 times starting by removing the last and first batteries. I never had any issues when removing the last batteries first, and only once did I get an 8v reading when removing the first battery I had put in the harness.

bluovalguy said:

yup, that's what I've been doing. I've been trying both just to make sure everything works, and it only happened once on the first one and that's it.

Back