Sabvoton SVM C7245 has fireball flaming spark at battery connectors and melts xt90 and anderson powerpole cables

boytitan

100 W
Not sure wtf I did but it was scary. So my brand new sabvoton after 2 days of texting off load was working fine. I finally put everything on the bike. I test my rear lights and have the rear lights connected via usb to the sabvoton. I notice a short in the light strip and try to fix it. Doesen't work. 60 or so seconds later the bike turns off. I assumed it was the 750c display auto off. I go to plug everything back in and get a huge spark xt90 plug is melt. Good thing I use a 8inch cord which isn't directly connected to the battery and controller. Cord has a connection on both ends and the battery and controller have plugs on one end. Anyways I solder some new xt90 connectors big blaming spark xt90 connector gone. I solder anderson this time since it was my first time using xt90s I assumed they just short outa easy. I connect everything and this time small spark. I push the cord end at the controller side and this time a much larger fireball the size of my head. I give up on that controller. I test with 3 different generic controllers and they are fine. Now I get that usb cord is used for programming but wtf could it do to cause connector melting fire soon as current is sent to it. Is this just a error from using the usb port when I shouldn't or the usb port shortening or should I just avoid the smaller model of sabvoton. Each time the cord melts were at which ever point was connected last. If I connected to battery last that plug melted, If I connected to controller last that plug melted. Motor, throttle and even display are fine. I also never programmed the sabvoton. I like the smaller sabvoton as it is water sealed somewhat where as the larger sabvotons have exposed terminals.

And you did not stop to think after the first shorted melted connecter to get a multimeter and test for shorts bad wiring etc? you may have had a pinched wire or bad Mosfet, or a failed switch, etc.
Always retest before reconnecting power if you just had a massive short. And where did you hear that you can pull power out of Sabvoton's USB port? you may have shorted it and messed up the controller's programming, and somehow blow a Mosfet.

Back