Sanyo UR18650FM4 Batteries

Bob K

10 W
I received a lot of Sanyo UR18650FM4 cells today. It was a trade for services received.
I would like to make up a 48 V 20A battery pack for a bike, but I don't know where to start.
I have soldered-up a lot of NiCads and NiMh cells with out any problems and soldering is my
only way of making a pack. I have no charger or BMS or CPB. Kind of a clean slate.
Quite honestly I don't know what I have here. The cells have a faint printing on the side.

" C "
NLCM4E9

The bottom has a printing:

4 NLCT1

There was a tag that had the numbers 091212-9

Does anybody know what these identifications mean? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks! Bob K

Attachments

• Sanyo UR18651FM4 002 (2).jpg
    Sanyo UR18651FM4 002 (2).jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 548
This is my 40 watt Hammer Head iron. It has not yet touched a lithium battery ,yet.

Attachments

• 001 (2).jpg
    001 (2).jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 546
Bob K said:
This is my 40 watt Hammer Head iron. It has not yet touched a lithium battery ,yet.

Hammer head is perfect. If you have soldered other kinds of cell types before then you will not find these any different.

I would recommend using plastic brackets to hold the cells together in a pack. Like these. http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004028/1290405-diy-18650-battery-holder-case-box10-pack

Cheap and widely available online.

dt0AEko.png

look for the EMBOSSED code on the plastic wrap. not printed w/ ink. may be a bit difficult to see

Thank you gentlemen.

I did not know about those nice spacers. I like them a lot!

I looked for the faint embossing and found it was marked : Japan 002A
4 year old cells?
Also, they do have the Teal colored ring around the positive electrode.
( if that means anything )

The only other ID I have is a loose scrap of paper that had written on it:

T-901-983-00

So, all I can figure out is that I can use them at 2.5 amps ( 5 amps intermittent) .

Actually, I have enough cells to power my custom skateboard and a high powered bike.
I am thinking of starting with the 450 watt/24 volt skateboard first. ( pretty flat terrain)
I am thinking of 6S6P for the skateboard. I have to study up on BMS boards though.
These cells seem to be really nice and I would hate to damage them by my inexperience...

Back