• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

SATIATOR MISTAKE

Oscdav

100 µW
Hello All,
I have wrongly charged my 48v battery on the 52v profile on my Satiator Charger.
Now all I get on the screen is 'SHORTED' followed by '17.5v' repeatedly. Can anyone please help me?
Thanks so much, Oscdav.

Welcome to ES.

Tell us more about your battery.

Does it have a BMS?

What type of cells?

How many series/parallel?

If your battery has been overcharged it may be damaged, and it may be a fire hazard. The longer it is overcharged, the more damage to the battery. The goal would be to discharge the battery back to normal while taking precautions so that if it does catch fire it won't spread.

Oscdav said:
Now all I get on the screen is 'SHORTED' followed by '17.5v' repeatedly. Can anyone please help me?
You will get the SHORTED message when the output is reverse polarity (so check that) or if the voltage cannot be brought up due to a short on the output.

It's possible your BMS was destroyed during the overcharge and now presents as a short to ground. That would be unusual since any BMS should be able to stand off a 4 volt overvoltage.

If you don't have a BMS then it is possible that your battery has been overcharged and has internally shorted. This is NOT recoverable and you should keep the battery outside far away from anything flammable, since it may light off at any time. After a while (a week?) put it in a metal box and dispose of it.

Hello again,
Thanks very much for the prompt response. I had already put the battery outside.., heard so many stories!
The cells were supplied and built so that they would fit snugly in a Topeak saddle bag by Boston Batteries of Insat international UK.
Built around 3 years ago.Not sure of series or parrarel, through pretty sure there would be a BMS within, as this is a solid supplier.
Could try discharging though of course it doesn't respond when wired up to Bafang 750w.
Safest way to discharge anyone?

Thanks, Oscdav.

Back