Severe Motor Chattering Problem?

Ken McNeill

100 mW
I have a few bikes I built that I use for e-bike tours. When I built them in 2019, they worked great. But lately, one by one they have begun to severely chatter under load. The stuttering start has really been hard on clutches, even shearing an axle key. 100-200 miles if that. I have changed motors & controllers with no effect. Once it’s rolling, it’s silent and perfect.

I’ve attached a video of what I’m experiencing. I just replaced the clutch/gear assy in this motor. Could it be noisy electrical power from the controller? Hall sensor issue? Is it possible the CA3 is causing this? Could it be a noisy throttle signal?

CA3
40 amp Infineon Motor Controller -
EM3ev 48v 16ah Battery
MacMotor - Ebike Hub Motor For Sale | MAC

Video link -

Last edited:
It doesnt' have to be high heat, and the caps don't have to have visible failure indications. It just has to be enough heat over a long enough time, plus normal aging, to degrade the capacitors enough to no longer filter correctly, so that the previously described problems occur.

Might not be the caps, but they're really the only part (besides that resistor) that ages and fails, in these controllers. There's nothing else I can think of (besides connections and wires that could corrode, or solder joints crack) to fail over time the way you see happening, and all of those other things would cause random types of failures, not the same one in every controller. The caps *would* cause the same type of failure (assuming the same type of cap failure, which is likely given the same conditions and same controllers, etc), so they are the most likely cause, and the thing I'd still check.
I’m saving them all for a rainy day project. It’ll be fun and won’t impact my business! 😎🌴

There's a few scattered around in the old Infineon threads, and I think Avandalen has a complete S06P (or S) in one of this threads (or linked from his website). Most of them are fairly similar in design, but there are a lot of variations in detail.

There's also a few open-source controllers like VESC and some here on ES that have their schematics, but they will be less relevant to repairing the ones you have there, if that's the purpose of the request. :)

Just an update on my efforts to identify the issue. I finally received and installed a new motor controller which now tests good with the tester. I still had bad chattering under load, so I installed a new motor. As a tour operator, I try to keep replacement parts on the shelf. Same issue. Chattering.

Then it hit me. Check the battery. While it indicates a full 57.1V charge (14S5P), I decided to observe the amp output on the CAV3. Without any load on the wheel (free spinning), I could only observe 3 amps. It’s a 12FET controller rated at 36-72v, 40 amps. Under load, the chattering started at about 2 amps and and shuts down. I connected my BMS app via Bluetooth to the battery and verified the data. All cell groups were 4+v except one group that was 3.8v. Obviously I need to balance that cell group. Wish I had a square wave oscope.

Based on this data, I would conclude this Is where the problem is? Weakening battery? Bad or corroded connections? I plan to clean them asap but feel this might be a hopeful long shot. Thoughts?

It’s likely that the low cell group either has a bad connection or the cells are bad, that it’s diving from 3.8V to what seems to be an undervoltage cutoff by the bms under load is a lot of voltage drop.

It’s likely that the low cell group either has a bad connection or the cells are bad, that it’s diving from 3.8V to what seems to be an undervoltage cutoff by the bms under load is a lot of voltage drop.
Very likely. I plan to individually re-charge the cell group to balance the battery. We’ll see how it goes.

Can you measure voltage at the controller? You could compare what the BMS measures inside the battery vs voltage at the controller.
Wouldn’t the CAV3 be reflecting what voltage is at the controller (through its data connection)? I confirmed BMS voltage to CAV3 voltage. Identical.

I’m thinking the smart BMS is stuttering power output as one cell group drops below a safety threshold. An LVC cutoff. I’m going to balance that group tomorrow.

I would think though that if the BMS is causing this stuttering you'd see it on the CA or BMS app. Usually if the BMS shuts off it takes a few seconds to recover just to avoid this sort of stutter behavior.

Back when I converted a Bionx motor to work with external controllers I also experienced this sort of chatter. I figured that the hall sensors were getting disrupted high currents (about 40A), so when I lowered it to 20A the chatter was gone.

I would think though that if the BMS is causing this stuttering you'd see it on the CA or BMS app. Usually if the BMS shuts off it takes a few seconds to recover just to avoid this sort of stutter behavior.

Back when I converted a Bionx motor to work with external controllers I also experienced this sort of chatter. I figured that the hall sensors were getting disrupted high currents (about 40A), so when I lowered it to 20A the chatter was gone.
I am seeing the current stutter on both. After 6-7 stutters, power shuts down and I hear a hum for a second or two. Once I’m riding on level ground, and apply throttle it works until amps hit 2-3A. Turn uphill under load, and there is not near enough power and shut stutter and shutdown with hum.

I’m going to swap the battery this morning. That will be definitive.

Wouldn’t the CAV3 be reflecting what voltage is at the controller (through its data connection)?
The CA has no data connection to the controller.

THe voltage the CA displays is measured inside the CA itself, from the battery positive connection to the CA (so wherever that comes from, is what it will display).

If the wiring is thin enough between battery and controller, or there is any excessive resistance in any connection between them, the load from the controller can cause enough voltage drop that the controller can see a lower voltage than that the CA sees, if the CA's battery connection is not from inside the controller (if it's a more direct connection to the battery).

If a BMS is shutting off power to protect a battery, all power to the system is shut off. Normally this does not recover quickly enough to cause a stutter, but rather a complete loss of system power. Because the voltage drops very very quickly under a load when this happens, even the CA would usually shut off--but even if it does not, you would see the Vmin drop below the BMS shutoff point, probably well below it.

If the CA has any low voltage protection enabled/setup, and you have the throttle being modulated by the CA, then if the voltage to the CA drops below the LVP point, it will do whatever limiting you have setup, which could cause stuttering as the load is released and CA then reengages throttle and load recurs and CA disengages throttle and cycle continues until load drops enough for the voltage to not drop below the LVP point.

Same thing for the controller itself--any LVC it has will do the same thing (except that instead of shutting off throttle it stops powering the motor, or does whatever it's limiting is designed / setup to do).

In any case, these are all caused by voltage drop in the battery cells, which is the second cause (aging, etc) I listed in my original reply. ;)

The CA has no data connection to the controller.

THe voltage the CA displays is measured inside the CA itself, from the battery positive connection to the CA (so wherever that comes from, is what it will display).

If the wiring is thin enough between battery and controller, or there is any excessive resistance in any connection between them, the load from the controller can cause enough voltage drop that the controller can see a lower voltage than that the CA sees, if the CA's battery connection is not from inside the controller (if it's a more direct connection to the battery).

If a BMS is shutting off power to protect a battery, all power to the system is shut off. Normally this does not recover quickly enough to cause a stutter, but rather a complete loss of system power. Because the voltage drops very very quickly under a load when this happens, even the CA would usually shut off--but even if it does not, you would see the Vmin drop below the BMS shutoff point, probably well below it.

If the CA has any low voltage protection enabled/setup, and you have the throttle being modulated by the CA, then if the voltage to the CA drops below the LVP point, it will do whatever limiting you have setup, which could cause stuttering as the load is released and CA then reengages throttle and load recurs and CA disengages throttle and cycle continues until load drops enough for the voltage to not drop below the LVP point.

Same thing for the controller itself--any LVC it has will do the same thing (except that instead of shutting off throttle it stops powering the motor, or does whatever it's limiting is designed / setup to do).

In any case, these are all caused by voltage drop in the battery cells, which is the second cause (aging, etc) I listed in my original reply. ;)
This makes a lot of sense And you’ve got me re-thinking this. The battery would shut everything down, not just drop current flow. The power to the CA is supplied by the controller (6 pin connector). I thought maybe it was a data connection, but on second thought I don’t suppose it has to be. The throttle is connected directly to the CA configured to Pass-Thru to the controller. I tried connecting the throttle directly to the controller and the amp-clamping stutter was still there, but the 6-pin CA connection was still connected. I have not seen any voltage dropping while amps are being clamped, both on the CA or the BMS app. LVP on the CA is set to 48v (52v system) and battery is 58.1v. Changing the cable between battery and controller later today once battery finishes balancing. Then I’ll swap a CA from one of my other 6 e-bikes. There all identical, and programmed the same.

Thanks to all of you for your time and thoughts. It is truly appreciated. 🤙

BTW, I have a 3 position switch that is programmed for 20A, 30A, and 40A. Problem occurs regardless of switch position.

Well, I balanced the cell group and reinstalled the same battery. Connected BMS app and all groups balanced. Worked for a minute or two while I was attempting to put a load on the bike.. then the BMS lights on the outside of the pack went out. Now I got nothing. 🫤

I'm not sure if it's this thread, but there's a post where I mention the CA's limiting is visible by the capitalized letters on the diagnostic screen, so it's very easy to check fi the CA is causing the problem just by looking at that screen. If none of the letters ever capitalize, the CA is not doing any limiting, and isn't causing the stuttering by modifying the throttle signal.

However, if the throttle was connected directly to the controller, not to the CA, and the stutter is still there, the CA (v3.x) is not causing it because it isn't receiving a throttle signal to modify and then send to the controller.

So in that event, and your system power is not shutting off during the event, so the BMS is not shutting off, then the controller is creating the event.

If it's creating the event because of a hardware problem inside the controller, or battery voltage dropping under load, you'll need to diagnose by swapping the battery from a problem bike to a non-problem bike, and vice-versa. If the problem moves with the battery, the battery is the problem. If the problem stays with the controller, the controller is the problem.

This makes a lot of sense And you’ve got me re-thinking this. The battery would shut everything down, not just drop current flow. The power to the CA is supplied by the controller (6 pin connector). I thought maybe it was a data connection, but on second thought I don’t suppose it has to be. The throttle is connected directly to the CA configured to Pass-Thru to the controller. I tried connecting the throttle directly to the controller and the amp-clamping stutter was still there, but the 6-pin CA connection was still connected. I have not seen any voltage dropping while amps are being clamped, both on the CA or the BMS app. LVP on the CA is set to 48v (52v system) and battery is 58.1v. Changing the cable between battery and controller later today once battery finishes balancing. Then I’ll swap a CA from one of my other 6 e-bikes. There all identical, and programmed the same.

BTW, I have a 3 position switch that is programmed for 20A, 30A, and 40A. Problem occurs regardless of switch position.
If the switch is connected to the CA, and the throttle isn't going thru the CA, nothing will change when you change the switch position.

If it's connected to the controller, it will change the setting regardless of CA being connected or not.

The battery would shut everything down, not just drop current flow.
Only if the BMS is actually turning power off due to cell LVC or overcurrent.

If the battery is just dropping in voltage (due to age, etc) below the CA or controller LVC, then the battery can cause the problem without shutting off.

The power to the CA is supplied by the controller (6 pin connector). I thought maybe it was a data connection, but on second thought I don’t suppose it has to be.
The ebikes.ca CA info page (and the manual) show the wiring for that connector. It only has battery power, ground, speed sensor signal (from either a motor hall or a separate speed sensor), throttle signal, and shunt + and - wires. Not all of those have to be connected inside the controller, but they usually are.

If the CA gets it's power from the controller, then any voltage drop the controller experiences will be visible on the CA by looking at the Vmin readout. This shows the lowest voltage the CA sees between stat / trip resets. You may not be able to see short voltage drops on the realtime display, even if they cause a problem, but you will see them on the Vmin.

Only if the BMS is actually turning power off due to cell LVC or overcurrent.

If the battery is just dropping in voltage (due to age, etc) below the CA or controller LVC, then the battery can cause the problem without shutting off.

The ebikes.ca CA info page (and the manual) show the wiring for that connector. It only has battery power, ground, speed sensor signal (from either a motor hall or a separate speed sensor), throttle signal, and shunt + and - wires. Not all of those have to be connected inside the controller, but they usually are.

If the CA gets it's power from the controller, then any voltage drop the controller experiences will be visible on the CA by looking at the Vmin readout. This shows the lowest voltage the CA sees between stat / trip resets. You may not be able to see short voltage drops on the realtime display, even if they cause a problem, but you will see them on the Vmin.
All of your posts have been tremendously educational. I thought I knew e-bike operation well, but this has been enlightening. Thank you for that! 😎🌴

I never thought of the CA as just modulating throttle signal. Are wattage and current just calculated? How are they limited?

There is a screen with lower cap letters that go CAP when limited. a/A for amps, s/S for speed, etc. I did look at this screen during my troubleshooting process and noted no limiting by the CA. That’s what initially led me to believe the issue had to be the motor controller?

Lastly, when I balanced the low cell group yesterday, the BMS app reflected a balanced battery pack. 👍 On the CA, I changed the max Amps from 40.0a to 99.0a to ensure no limiting. Shortly there after, the BMS led’s went out. Interestingly, the CA still reflected 57.6v and the drive system still operated. Only after I disconnected the battery did it not come back to life.

I created a diagram for balancing my batteries on the bench. Can you take a look at it? I want to verify connections to charge the 14th cell group. Do I have it correct? Thanks.

Attachments

• 14S5P Battery Balance.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
I never thought of the CA as just modulating throttle signal. Are wattage and current just calculated? How are they limited?

The CA v3 info page and it's manual has a fair bit of detailed info on how the CA works, how each thing is measured, calculated, etc, but in general:

The CA reads the battery current via whatever shunt it is connected to (the current is calculated based on the shunt resistance calibration setting in the CA, which you must set for whatever shunt the system has, it needs to be fairly precise to get reliable readings and correct operation).

Watts are then calculated from that based on the CA-measured voltage at the battery input to the CA.

Then the CA counts PAS pulses and timing, and measures throttle voltage, temperature sensor, torque sensor, ebrake input, etc.

Then it processes all of those via the settings you've chosen in all the menus, and outputs a throttle signal to the controller based on all of those.

There is a screen with lower cap letters that go CAP when limited. a/A for amps, s/S for speed, etc. I did look at this screen during my troubleshooting process and noted no limiting by the CA. That’s what initially led me to believe the issue had to be the motor controller?
If there is no limiting happening in the CA, then the next step is to look at the Vmin recorded by the CA during an event. That will show if there is any voltage drop occuring, and how far it drops.

If there is no voltage drop occuring, or not enough to engage the LVC of the controller, then the battery is not causing the problem.

That then typically leaves the controller. For instances where a problem starts after a settings change, it can be software or settings doing it, but when no settings changes in the controller have occured, it's usually hardware failure. When the problem is gradually increasing in frequency or effect, it's usually a part that ages or gradually fails, like oxidizing connections or aging capacitors or vibration slowly fracturing solder joints or wires (at the point they connect to something).

Lastly, when I balanced the low cell group yesterday, the BMS app reflected a balanced battery pack.
A balanced battery just means all the cells are at the same voltage at the point they are measured to be equal. It does not mean the battery is working correctly.

Rebalancing a pack with an imbalance (especially a severe one) does not fix the pack, it only makes all the cells the same voltage, and makes it possible to use more of the available capacity of the pack than ohterwise.

To actually fix a pack that has an imbalance, the cell(s) that are causing the problem(s) would have to be replaced with ones that are identical to the rest of the cells in the pack that still match each other in capacity, internal resistance, etc. Without doing that, the imbalance will simply recur over time, and grow worse with aging as the cells that are already different in characteristics become more different.

On the CA, I changed the max Amps from 40.0a to 99.0a to ensure no limiting. Shortly there after, the BMS led’s went out. Interestingly, the CA still reflected 57.6v and the drive system still operated. Only after I disconnected the battery did it not come back to life.

If the system still operated but the BMS's status lights that indicate it is working are no longer lit, the BMS could have failed but left the FETs turned on, or the FETs actually failed (which is usually in the stuck-on condition). In either case, once disconnected from the load, etc., the output of the BMS might have finished failing in the totally disconnected state (assuming you read 0V on the output), or the FETs might have turned off.

Or some other type of failure of the BMS itself with the equivalent results.

If a cell failed or dropped below the BMS LVC, the BMS should shut off the output (it might also shut itself down completely to prevent recharge of the potentially-damaged cell), but if the FETs are damaged from something they would still let current flow (and thus be unable to protect the cells, ever).

I created a diagram for balancing my batteries on the bench. Can you take a look at it? I want to verify connections to charge the 14th cell group. Do I have it correct? Thanks.
The first three on the left and top appear correct, but the lower right will probably destroy your balance charger and short out your pack, because you are connecting it both backwards (reverse polarity, with the positive charger lead on the more negative side of the pack than the negative charger lead), and across multiple cells, creating a much higher voltage across the charger input than it can output, which even if it were not connected backwards would still force a high current thru it's output stage.

Since the output stage is usually a fairly low resistance, it will also short across all those cells.

To charge any cell group you must connect across the cell group in question exactly like you did with the other three.

Connecting the negative charger lead to cell 13's positive, and the positive charger lead to cell 1's positive, doesn't allow charging any cell group. May I ask what your thought process / reasoning was for connecting this way?

Connecting the negative charger lead to cell 13's positive, and the positive charger lead to cell 1's positive, doesn't allow charging any cell group. May I ask what your thought process / reasoning was for connecting this way?
I drew this a couple years ago for reference. I had been working with EM3ev at the time and can’t specifically remember why I drew it that way. When I looked t it yesterday, it just didn’t look right?

If you were using a voltmeter to measure things, it would tell you the voltage across those two points (though it would show negative), but I can't think of anything else it would do (nothing at all with a single cell charger)

Maybe it was supposed to illustrate what *not* to do?

I drew this a couple years ago for reference. I had been working with EM3ev at the time and can’t specifically remember why I drew it that way. When I looked t it yesterday, it just didn’t look right?
Could be used as a screening test for potential new hires.
1. “What is wrong in this diagram?” Explain.
2. Please apply corrections to the diagram; include the wiring locations, colors and polarities, in your response.

Back