Should I Build A 52v 24ah Lithium Battery For An Ebike Build

Brentis said:
ArcticWolf_11 said:
Thanks, but I mean this bike rack from this website http://www.thebikeseat.com/

Interesting product. I still wouldn't trust it not to crack/bend frames, break seat post, or snap axles. Don't let me stop you though, we need Guinea pigs to test these things out.

Also how would I put the spokes in if I just got the bare hub? I saw that mxus 3k turbo motor for $349 and it could take voltages up to 150v lol http://kinaye-motorsports.myshopify.com/ but it does come out in june :/

You could have them spoke it for you, or you could learn yourself, or take it to a LBS that's willing. Forget 150v that's for the drag racers, the insane or guys with tiny peckers. Complete overkill.

Im tempted to get 2 of them lol but I do not want to wait anymore and where am I even going to get a 150v battery lol

Whoa! Walk before you run.

Also do you have any idea why my hub motor cracked on my old ebike? Has something like that ever happened to you?

I have no idea exactly why yours cracked. It has never happened to me, but others here have had side covers crack, freewheel mounts shear off and axles snap. Chalk that upto poor manufacturing. Some Chinese companies have been known to use suspect materials such as shit pot metal.

Its just that I kind of want motorcycle power available when I want too lol. So what about 2 at 72v then or 1 at 84v lol? Its just that motorcycles are really loud and electricity is basically free lol

ArcticWolf_11 said:
Brentis said:
ArcticWolf_11 said:
Thanks, but I mean this bike rack from this website http://www.thebikeseat.com/

Interesting product. I still wouldn't trust it not to crack/bend frames, break seat post, or snap axles. Don't let me stop you though, we need Guinea pigs to test these things out.

Also how would I put the spokes in if I just got the bare hub? I saw that mxus 3k turbo motor for $349 and it could take voltages up to 150v lol http://kinaye-motorsports.myshopify.com/ but it does come out in june :/

You could have them spoke it for you, or you could learn yourself, or take it to a LBS that's willing. Forget 150v that's for the drag racers, the insane or guys with tiny peckers. Complete overkill.

Im tempted to get 2 of them lol but I do not want to wait anymore and where am I even going to get a 150v battery lol

Whoa! Walk before you run.

Also do you have any idea why my hub motor cracked on my old ebike? Has something like that ever happened to you?

I have no idea exactly why yours cracked. It has never happened to me, but others here have had side covers crack, freewheel mounts shear off and axles snap. Chalk that upto poor manufacturing. Some Chinese companies have been known to use suspect materials such as shit pot metal.

Its just that I kind of want motorcycle power available when I want too lol. So what about 2 at 72v then or 1 at 84v lol? Its just that motorcycles are really loud and electricity is basically free lol

You really need a scooter style ebike. I had one I loved it. Wish I never chopped it up.
Baja Rat

Would I be able to ride an electric scooter on the sidewalk then? Also how fast do you think the cyclone would go at 3000v? Iv seen people say 40-47 mph or something but i'm not sure

ArcticWolf_11 said:
Would I be able to ride an electric scooter on the sidewalk then? Also how fast do you think the cyclone would go at 3000v? Iv seen people say 40-47 mph or something but i'm not sure

That all depends on the bylaws of your city. You can't ride those scooters on the sidewalks here. But it's unlikely you are allowed an ebike to go 35mph on the sidewalks either. Nor should you that's road speed.

I'm not sure if 3000watts is enough to reach 47mph, but the cyclone uses the bikes gears so, as big a chain wheel as possible and as small a rear sprocket will get you close. I don't think 40 is unreasonable though.

Brentis said:
ArcticWolf_11 said:

That all depends on the bylaws of your city. You can't ride those scooters on the sidewalks here. But it's unlikely you are allowed an ebike to go 35mph on the sidewalks either. Nor should you that's road speed.

I'm not sure if 3000watts is enough to reach 47mph, but the cyclone uses the bikes gears so, as big a chain wheel as possible and as small a rear sprocket will get you close. I don't think 40 is unreasonable though.

Yeah ik, ill mainly be going 20 when im commuting and whenever I feel like it I could go faster when no one is around lol

So if I got this right, a mid drive is faster than a hub but I have to switch gears to do so. But a hub is basically an automatic right? So small gear = more speed while bigger gear = more power?

ArcticWolf_11 said:
Yeah ik, ill mainly be going 20 when im commuting and whenever I feel like it I could go faster when no one is around lol

So if I got this right, a mid drive is faster than a hub but I have to switch gears to do so. But a hub is basically an automatic right? So small gear = more speed while bigger gear = more power?

No not in general. It all depends on the voltage, amperage and kv of a hub vs. Voltage, amperage, kv and gearing of a mid drive.
A mid drive just lets you keep the motor spinning in its most efficient range over a variety of surfaces and grades by changing gears. A hub is one speed. So a steep sustained hill will slow it down to an inefficient range and it will overheat.

Small gear=faster speed, less torque. Bigger gear=slower speed, more torque.

Your needs really are best served by a DD hub in the 1000-3000w range.

Brentis said:
ArcticWolf_11 said:

No not in general. It all depends on the voltage, amperage and kv of a hub vs. Voltage, amperage, kv and gearing of a mid drive.
A mid drive just lets you keep the motor spinning in its most efficient range over a variety of surfaces and grades by changing gears. A hub is one speed. So a steep sustained hill will slow it down to an inefficient range and it will overheat.

Why a direct drive hub? I thought a mid drive would be faster if they were the same voltages, wattage, ect

ArcticWolf_11 said:
Brentis said:
ArcticWolf_11 said:

Why a direct drive hub? I thought a mid drive would be faster if they were the same voltages, wattage, ect

The answers to your question is in the previous responses.
I think you would be best served by reading up on some build threads to broaden your understanding.
There is a section for non hub drives, and a section with hundreds of hub builds.
I'm not the best teacher. Just wanted to return the help I've received, but I'm afraid I'm confusing things for you.

The short answer though, for your use and terrain a hub will meet your needs and be more reliable and easier to maintain.

You're quite welcome.
Find a few builds that you like, learn all you can, then come back to this thread and ask questions before you buy anything.
I'm happy to help and would hate to see you spend good money on bad parts.

Happy learnin's
All the best.

I can never understand guys demonstrating an e bike unless there's a really good hill . Cyclone steps might be an exaggeration . Its why my batteries are always
up front & as low as possible to not end on one butt.

Back