Show me the biggest DIY E-moto battery.

harrisonpatm

10 kW
One of the biggest perceived restrictions of consumer market electric motorcycles is range. Mid range motos can get around 60-90 miles, ish. I think I recently read that the longest range motorcycle can almost get to 200 miles, but reviews put real world range lower than that.

The Harley Livewire has a 15kwh battery. The biggest Zero battery is 17kwh. But I feel like if you really wanted to, you can match or beat the ranges for Zeros and Livewires. If that was the goal, that is. I took a 450cc frame and got 5 kwh into it, because of size constraints, and budget, and that I don't actually need 200 miles of range. And that was with LFP; if I had used Li-ion, I could have put twice as much capacity in the same space. And that was on my first attempt, with room to spare. Or, I could have gotten a larger frame as a starting point. I know that adds weight, decreases range a bit, but I'd have to think that there's a balance of tons of battery space in a heavy frame, that's offset by how much battery you can put in it.

So, I've scoured this thread and others. Has anyone seen someone's DIY build where they focus on range, and put in the most absolutely gigantic battery they possibly could into a frame? Like, i bet if the goal was range and capacity, you could relatively easily put 20kwh into the frame of a Fat Boy or Goldwing. I'm curious what's out there. Share pics if you got em, please and thank you.

Check out the University of Nottingham's Isle of Man TT bike. I think they managed to get 21 kWh in there. It weighs about 290 kg, but it had all the cells and then some.

Back