Show Us Your Homemade Battery Housing

Wood process :)

A123M1 12S4P used (6 years old)

assembly: glued - screwed
billet00893_L.jpg

The battery box is complete:

The flanks are epoxy plates rid of copper (plate for use in making printed circuit boards)

We distinguish the key that acts on a static switch mosfets (3 milliohms to the state on) and the charging socket (protected by a cover)

The wiring in the box:

120911123745673592.jpg

BMS is placed horizontally above the batteries. We distinguish the key switch and charging socket.

BMS DIY: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2498&start=200#p49038

End grain bamboo box. CNC-milled from a bamboo cutting board. It contains a BMS, a key switch, 5V regulator (for lights) and 10S 5Ah lipos from HobbyKing.

I guess it's been posted here recently, so it's probably not a surprise, but I 3D printed my housing to make a series of braces, that are held in place with heavy-duty nylon straps ( cable ties ).

The result is a well supported battery housing that uses the battery structures themselves and allows for use of cheap batteries.

david-IMG_20150331_105502827_Small.jpg

And how it looks on the CAD application -

david-bike_frame_7a_no_dimensions.jpg

Regards
David

cal3thousand said:
I'm liking those mounts unclejam! Any more details you can share? Is that something you had lying around?

Sorry for delay replying Cal - the mounts were bought for the purpose from, (you guessed it - EBay) and are just alloy heavy duty video camera mounts. Easy to source and pretty cheap too. To mount these to the bike, I used countersunk 8mm stainless hex bolts which fit flush with the mounting surfaces, so they didn't interfere with the mounting action. A bit of trial and error was needed here but HEY - bolts are cheap!

Here's the mounts (and bike) in action.

[youtube]E53Bsp6lFvM[/youtube]

Nothing fancy but a quick and dirty soft battery bag for my riding buddy ebike.

The bag is really bad sewn(and in ugly colours but the objective was to do a fast'nd cheap job but better than taping the battery to the frame...
(next thing to do is some retainer for the controller.... :D )

Attachments

• sansinbattery2.jpg
    sansinbattery2.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 3,447
  • sansinbattery.jpg
    sansinbattery.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 2,804
P1030533.jpg
The box is made out of starboard. Available in sheets from 1/4" to at least 3/4" in a few colors. It is very tough. It will not paint, glue or sand. It can be filed, planed, routed, drilled and will hold a screw if you drill it right. I mounted a 12v converter on top. Also a ram phone mount. My grin controller is on top also and the on off switch has easy access but out of sight to add modest security.

4-minute You Tube, builder has a hardtail frame with BBS02, adds wood to the sides of the frame triangle to the width of an 18650 cell on its side, and a plastic side panel held onto the wood by screws. The frame triangle sits low (standover height) and is an odd shape. Builder bought a rectangle pack, and cut/soldered it into a curved triangle pack to fit.

You Tube member "One Stone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ood-EEQp-Ik

BatteryTriangle3.png

Part of my current work in progress. For this ebike, I designed stealth and hiding the battery from the start instead of trying to hide it afterwards (my first setup was a metal and duct tape triangle box which although was great, wasnt very stealthy).

Build Thread :
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70549

7s_5800mah_lipo_waterbottle.jpg

testmount.jpg

Does this Count? I can sew, but only manly,macho and cool stuff.
20150606_185704.jpg
20150602_112119.jpg

Ive built a little battery for skatepark/BMX track duties. I wanted something very robust.
Used a small all weather power box (IP66). Reasonably light and very strong. Ive managed to retain all waterproofing :)
The 12v modules are stripped out of EarthX lithium motorcycle batterys. they are 5 X 3s lipo and should give me 90+amps discharge without causing too many problems.

IMG_5615_zpsz5qsdwee.jpg

IMG_5659_zps7ao4avzp.jpg

IMG_5674_zpsibvncxnb.jpg

IMG_5676_zps6damv51v.jpg

IMG_5677_zpsu8k4ziko.jpg

The other bonus is, I can fit my soon to be other battery (18s Multistar 16ah)

I'm currently using a Seahorse case as my battery box. It's quite large since I'm using home-made battery packs out of repurposed 18650s and they take up a lot of space.

I had to fabricate a custom mount out of aluminum to mount the box above the front wheel. I had considered purchasing downhill forks, but afraid that is not in the budget.

The end result is a good weight balance between the front battery and rear hub motor.

Same deal on mine. Wood composite construction. Aluminum Rivet Nuts to hide attachment points. Air vent compartments that allow air and not water in the front and back. Fan assisted in the summer. Holds a lot of battery :)

SgONlyC.jpg

battery basket.jpgthe battery cases I discussed earlier in this thread.
Sporting 1.6kW of power per case my trikes have 4 times the range I actually use during any day. The only clever part is I can exchange batteries between three trikes at will where the battery packs drop into cages making the exchanges dead simple.View attachment 2left.jpgright.jpgView attachment 3

Townie Conversion with custom battery case designed and built by yours truly. I wanted a retro look to the battery case that would compliment the aesthetics of the bike. I used Alder as the primary wood, it being one of the lightest hardwoods available with the greatest amount of strength. I added walnut stringers and planed the sides down to 1/2". It houses a Calibike battery 48V 15 ah. The Ebikekit controller is bolted to the underside of the case, well out of sight. As you can see, I'm a woodworker, not an electrician. I designed the case so that the battery could be removed, but not easily removed. The charger and switch cables just dangle out the backside. I'm still debating as to whether I should install a permanent switch and charging port, while still being able to remove the battery. The young man pictured is my son. Oh yeah, The bike handles sooo much better with the battery in the mid frame rather than on the rear rack.
IMG_20151224_165122.jpgIMG_20151226_151322.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]e2EaC849-kA[/youtube]

These are some pretty nice mounts. A quick trick: If you're using good batteries (Panasonics, LG's, A grade LiPo's) That you don't have to service often, close your enclosure and fill with spray foam. No rattle, waterproofs your pack and everything inside of it and provides a nice cushion. Don't do this if you have a BMS (I use a balance charger instead) because it'll get hot and fry itself.

I found an old wetsuit at a garage sale for $2.00. It was a jumbo size. I added pieces of it inside my box. Works great...

4sken said:
[...]close your enclosure and fill with spray foam. No rattle, waterproofs your pack and everything inside of it and provides a nice cushion.

You could bed the batteries like I've seen some fragile items shipped-- with the expanding foam squirted into a plastic bag on each side before the container is sealed. That would make later servicing much simpler.

Chalo said:
You could bed the batteries like I've seen some fragile items shipped-- with the expanding foam squirted into a plastic bag on each side before the container is sealed. That would make later servicing much simpler.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense... What about doing it backwards? Using either the batteries or a form encased in a sealed plastic bag inside when you spray the foam so the foam expands against it, then you open up the case, cut out just enough foam to allow a tight fit... Yeah, that's a good idea :D

The neoprene wetsuit worked fine for me. Because I built the box, I created the inside dimensions so the battery and the neoprene created the fit I wanted.

Back