Small, light front hub motor, 24 inch wheel

MikeSSS

1 kW
I'm looking for a small, light, 48v, front hub motor, with a 24" wheel for my wife's Electra Townie bike. Front motor for simplicity, ease of flat repair and because I ride a front motor and its worked very well for me.

Small and light is important because she is small and light. Besides, light is easier to lift onto the SUVs bike rack. My bike uses an Aotema direct drive front hub motor, it is very heavy but works really well. I mention the Aotema because it is far too heavy for my wife to use. We put it on a bike she used to have and it was too much weight for her, also she found the thumb throttle confusing.

Speed of say 12 mph is enough but more is better. Outrunning dogs speed burst would be a plus.

Quiet operation is needed, not easily noticed is good too.

Low drag when pedaling only would be desirable.

Use is mostly flat ground and shallow climbs. Rides are seldom more than 6 miles, but might be more when she has electric assist.

48v so it can use my battery which is 13s, 4p, 13.5 ah, Panasonic 18650 GA cells from Luna. Battery will be mounted on a rear rack. Later I'd like to get her a smaller lighter battery.

Twist grip throttle would be good because it works the same as a gas scooter like a Honda Metro.

The Smart Pie V5 that Luna offers might be OK, but they don't offer a 24" wheel.

Perhaps getting her a second bike for conversion might be the better option, that way she would have the choice of pedal only or electric assist.

What do you think/advise? Thanks in advance for the help.

Grin offers the G311 in a 24" rim. it's listed under their custom build version, ebikes.ca/shop/...front-g311-kit-basic-throttle-custom-build

It's a geared hub, so it will be very light compared to your Aetoma, and it's a helical cut geared hub, so it will be quieter than other standard gear hubs. The inclusion of the Cycle analyst would mean you can set speed limits if it's too fast, and adjust the amp rating if it's too "peaky" or powerful for her when she first turns the throttle.... 2 things I ran into when building a 24" wheel for a tiny girl a few years ago.

Thanks DS, that Grin site has a lot of information and options. Must study it several times. I've been away from the ebike study and decision process for a few years, got to do the homework to catch up.

I really appreciate that link.

Back