Specialized Demo 8 build - Battery pack design doing right?

raggertje

10 mW
Hi there great ebike builders out here!

I gonna start my second build. I had great fun with the first one, an electric conversion of my son’s 24 inch mountainbike which he really likes, see https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106277&p=1578467#p1578467

The base of the next conversion is my old Specialized Demo 8 which is collecting dust for to many years :wink:

IMG_1191.jpg

I’m building a real off-road bike which has to fill the gap between my mountainbikes and my KTM EXC350 :) The range I’m looking for is at least 30km and topspeed at least 50km/h. Torque is more important for me then speed. I will be mostly riding singletracks with it.

I am building with a DD hubmotor. Over here in the Netherland there will be no real climbing involved and I prefer a quiet bike so I won’t disturb other people (for that is the KTM :wink: ). First thought was to buy a MXUS 3K Turbo. But after reading this forum about torque plates (which are hard to build in the Demo) the need for an extending wheelbase and I want to keep the bike light, nimble and simple at this phase, I ended up buying a 1500w 26 inch kit from Aliexpress.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32476876343.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.7318595fJcyjzH

Does anybody now which hub it is and what to use in www.ebikes.ca simulator

Next thing is a proper battery setup. Maybe a 52v or even a 72v battery would work with this motor and the KT45A 36v or 48v controller or should I stick with a 48v? For simplicity I can mount a shark case battery under the downtube (near the BB so I can use full fork travel) with a DIY skidplate protecting it.

IMG_1197.jpg

Or better go for Turnigy Lipo packs? What do you guys think?
Choices choices, what a luxury :D

I decided to go for a custom Li-Ion pack. There is room for a shark pack under the downtube but range wouldn't be sufficient for me and it will look quite odd.

My Idea is:
- custom 14S8P 52V 20Ah pack build with Samsung INR18650-25R 2500mAh - 20A cells
- DIY Battery case made of aluminium plates so it can have some abuse

battery-design-demo-8.jpg

batterycase-demo-8.jpg

The design of the cells (left and right view):

battery-design-cells-demo-8.jpg

• Do you guys think this setup will work?
  • Which BMS will suit this pack?
  • Some ideas of constructing a aluminium case?

Back