Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

I'll check on the shock mounts tonight for those of us who nabbed the NOS Fox DHX 5.0's being cleared out on fleabay, and I will report in with the result.
Might need a bulk buyup on CRC between us.

If anyone else is looking for a cheap rear shock, same vendor has a Fox Vanilla R 220mm for $150AUD. (I am not affiliated).
Given the BB height reported by Rodney, this might be a good way to go. PM if needing details and I will send the link.

If anyone else is sizing shocks, here is a good primer.
http://www.tftuned.com/tech-help/71-mount-kits-and-bushings-for-rear-shocks-a-guide

chilau2000 said:
Hi

Can someone measure the minimum seat height and minimum frame standover height.

As the bikes set up now, the standover height is 730mm (29.2") and the seat height minimum is 920. This would change depending on which set up that you use.

I have fitted brakes too the front.

Rear adaptor doesn't fit. This was taken off my white phasor.

Rodney64 said:
chilau2000 said:
Hi

Can someone measure the minimum seat height and minimum frame standover height.

As the bikes set up now, the standover height is 730mm (29.2") and the seat height minimum is 920. This would change depending on which set up that you use.

I have fitted brakes too the front.

Rear adaptor doesn't fit. This was taken off my white phasor.

Why it does not fit :?: :!: :?

Rodney64 said:
Not the correct adaptor. I will need to get the correct one. They're code R.

Thanks i was confused :mrgreen:

I there any way of doing new holes and putting the seat suport a bit lower so it is not that tall for small people :?:

Shock mounting width is 30mm wide inside the flanges.
Shoulder bolt that comes with the kit is 8mm.
Most shocks have a 12.5mm/12.7mm internal.

I bought up six kits - enough to do three shocks last night Jay. Hence the 30mmx8mm 3 piece kit is outta stock.
Will shoot you one up in the mail when I receive them.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rockshox-rear-shock-mount-hardware-1-2-x-1-2-/rp-prod54654

An alternative for anyone wanting to mount shocks is is head to your local bearing store and buy a 12.5mm bush with a hole smaller (eg quarter inch to half inch bush), cut it to 30mm long, and drill the center hole out from quarter inch to 8mm. Then add washers or tubing to each side of the shock to prevent lateral movement.

chucho said:
Rodney64 said:

I there any way of doing new holes and putting the seat suport a bit lower so it is not that tall for small people :?:

If you run a smaller rear shock lower mounting point on the shock
And run with a 160mm front fork then this would reduce the bottom bracket height. I have a 220mm shock so I'll do some tests tonight. I can also lower the front forks too 160mm.

Rodney64 said:
chucho said:
Rodney64 said:

If you run a smaller rear shock lower mounting point on the shock
And run with a 160mm front fork then this would reduce the bottom bracket height. I have a 220mm shock so I'll do some tests tonight. I can also lower the front forks too 160mm.

And what happens if you put the the seat suport the other way round? up fasing down :roll:

Rodney64 said:
I haven't tried it. I can to night. What your ideal seat height and stand over height

Thank you very much :!: :!: I am about 1,68, i use 19" shinko, 240 rear shock... so i would like it as lower as possible :cry:

Jay: do you think fighter seat mount is compatible with flux? Dont understand why they make them taller in the flux :?

chucho said:
Rodney64 said:
I haven't tried it. I can to night. What your ideal seat height and stand over height

Thank you very much :!: :!: I am about 1,68, i use 19" shinko, 240 rear shock... so i would like it as lower as possible :cry:

Jay: do you think fighter seat mount is compatible with flux? Dont understand why they make them taller in the flux :?

No, the seat triangle angle on the trellis is way different. I can tell that much by the pics posted. There is no way those are interchangeable.

chucho said:
Rodney64 said:

Chucko, why did you go with such a large tyre.

Samd said:
I bought up six kits - enough to do three shocks last night Jay. Hence the 30mmx8mm 3 piece kit is outta stock.
What an arse!
Oh, what a gentleman :p

chucho said:
Not particularly - the inside of the frame is reinforced where the shock mount and seat subframe are so it'd be weaker if you tried to put it lower. And then it could hit the shot. Certainly the reservoir. You could get more clearance by mounting it upside down with the reserviour at the bottom, which may or may not be an issue. Someone with more shock experience wanna chime in ? Rix ?
If they wanted to do it it would have to be done at the factory, and it'd have to be a future revision. Unless there's sufficient demand to make a new seat subframe that bolts up to the existing holes. And even then it's a maybe and I don't speak for them. It looks to me like it'd be easy enough to drop the minimum seat height down an inch with a slight redesign though.

chucho said:
And what happens if you put the the seat suport the other way round? up fasing down :roll:
LOL, you mean like this ?

lol-chucho.jpg

In your case definitely ditch the 240mm shock and look at using a 200mm one. 19" shinko should be OK if you use the same up front too.
I will see tonight how low I can get it with a 220mm shock.

In the mean time I got these comparison measurements from stealth which might be useful.

Top of seat tube:
Bomber - 820mm
Fighter - 770mm
Flux - 800mm

Intersection of top of subframe and frame -
Bomber - 770mm
Fighter - 700mm
Flux - 700mm

Conclusion - the flux is half way between a bomber and a fighter, which in terms of form and function we knew from the get go.
The lowest 'dip' in the frame is the same on the fighter and the flux but the minimum seat height is 30mm lower on the fighter and 20mm higher on the bomber.
That all sounds about right - my flux in its current state feels about 50mm higher to sit on than my old fighter - 30mm of that is the frame design and so the other 20mm wheel size and shock position.

IMG_20150811_232902.jpg
IMG_20150811_232827.jpg
Added carbon bars, seat and seatpole. And shocks/boxers.

Reamed the bb and added a schlumpf hsd but need to check chainstay clearance for chain.

Laced up a 24*50mm front to a 20mm front hub. Also laced up one of my Mxus v2 hubs to a 19" moto rim.
Cut 10mm out of the headtube. Yep.

And I added magnets to one of my 24fet 80v 80a Bluetooth controllers so I can swing it in/out while playing with batts.Trying to avoid the clunky look of a cav3 here. Removed the keyswitch so I can mount my smartphone there maybe.

You could get more clearance by mounting it upside down with the reserviour at the bottom, which may or may not be an issue. Someone with more shock experience wanna chime in ? Rix ?
If they wanted to do it it would have to be done at the factory, and it'd have to be a future revision. Unless there's sufficient demand to make a new seat subframe that bolts up to the existing holes. And even then it's a maybe and I don't speak for them. It looks to me like it'd be easy enough to drop the minimum seat height down an inch with a slight redesign though.

You can invert the shock and get a little more seat tube clearance, but I as far as the seat height goes, you can cut the post as short as you want, but that seat isn't going any lower than the top of the seat tube on the frame. For lowering the Flux, going with a 200mm long shock (8") shock with say a 2.5" stroke would bring you down the ground good, but you wouldn't get nearly all the travel out the Flux that a shock with a 3 or 3.5" stroke would afford. Rods got the right idea for folks wanting a lower seat height, go with a 17MC rear wheel and same on the front. That's going to give you tires sizes from 23 to 23.6 inches, vs 25-27.5" of your bit MTB tires, that mod alone will lower your seat height up to 1.5" giving everything else being equal Just remember if you go this route in the rear and don't change nothing up front and use a short shock, your head tube angle will be more slack and this can affect slow speed handling noticeably.

Hyena said:
You snooze you lose Alex :p

So you think running a slower wind for offroad efficiency and flicking into boost mode with higher values for OVS when you need more speed is the way to go ? That seems logical to me but everyone seems to be just running around with OVS maxed out these days

Well, lets just hope that the Flux will evolve further to something else as well :D
Yeah, OVS and slower wind will get the bike move faster so it is not such a bad combo.

Allex said:
Hyena said:
You snooze you lose Alex :p

So you think running a slower wind for offroad efficiency and flicking into boost mode with higher values for OVS when you need more speed is the way to go ? That seems logical to me but everyone seems to be just running around with OVS maxed out these days

Well, lets just hope that the Flux will evolve further to something else as well :D
Yeah, OVS and slower wind will get the bike move faster so it is not such a bad combo.

Those are my thoughts as well. I have been running the numbers on a "MXUS 4T with 17" moto wheel" or a "5T with the 19" moto wheel," combined with the 19" moto up front.

Hyena said:
Samd said:
What an arse!
Oh, what a gentleman :p

chucho said:
I there any way of doing new holes and putting the seat suport a bit lower so it is not that tall for small people ?
Not particularly - the inside of the frame is reinforced where the shock mount and seat subframe are so it'd be weaker if you tried to put it lower. And then it could hit the shot. Certainly the reservoir. You could get more clearance by mounting it upside down with the reserviour at the bottom, which may or may not be an issue. Someone with more shock experience wanna chime in ? Rix ?

chucho said:
LOL, you mean like this ?

In your case definitely ditch the 240mm shock and look at using a 200mm one. 19" shinko should be OK if you use the same up front too.
I will see tonight how low I can get it with a 220mm shock.

In the mean time I got these comparison measurements from stealth which might be useful.

Top of seat tube:
Bomber - 820mm
Fighter - 770mm
Flux - 800mm

Intersection of top of subframe and frame -
Bomber - 770mm
Fighter - 700mm
Flux - 700mm

Conclusion - the flux is half way between a bomber and a fighter, which in terms of form and function we knew from the get go.
The lowest 'dip' in the frame is the same on the fighter and the flux but the minimum seat height is 30mm lower on the fighter and 20mm higher on the bomber.
That all sounds about right - my flux in its current state feels about 50mm higher to sit on than my old fighter - 30mm of that is the frame design and so the other 20mm wheel size and shock position.

Did not know bomber was so hight :shock: I am going to try with 19" and 240 shock cause changing the shock would change geometry and changing wheels would be too expensive for me :cry: If i cant use it i would try to make a seat holder similar to fighter that seems to be a solution... the really bad thing would be matching the colour with the frame.

Rix thank you also for the ideas... cutting i dont think is going to make much change but i thought about it also :wink:
Rodney64 19" moped are not so big... a bit smaller than 26". Never thought seat would be so hight :|

Pd: Any more photos of the Gun Metal frame :?: :?:

Made some more progress today. Cut the Crystalyte phase wire bullets off the 4080, also the Crystalyte hall sensor connection and soldered longer wires so that the cables enter the frame. I've also shrink wrapped the wires white. I have also purchased 1/2'in 20TPI nylock nuts and on the 7 speed cluster side plan on grinding down a washer so it doesn't sit on the freewheel. The freewheel I'm using needs a washer which is under 21mm. Current washer is 23mm. It will work but puts stress on the side cover until it fails which Ive had happen in the past.

Getting there!

Fitted up a 50mm wide front wheel onto a 20mm hub with 12g spokes - the extra gauge of it all is in keeping with the chunkier style of rest of the bike. Not a cheap wheel to build with a 20mm hub.
Rear 19" rim is similar in gauge, might just fit my 3.75inch speedway knobby on yet going by eye. Maybe wishful thinking. 8)
IMG_20150813_223914.jpg

I think about a 30tooth schlumpf chainring may just clear the stays. Will look tonight.

If it's halfway between a bomber and a fighter, can I call her a biter?

Made some more progress today

Managed to get the rear wheel on and lined up.

44 tooth on the front with a 13/32 on the rear. I still need to add a couple of links too the chain and fit a gear shifter

Still need to bleed the rear brakes,fit the controller temporarily, soldier on the wires to the Adaptto controller plug, drill a hole in the front panels for the controller wire and brake and throttle cable to go though. Bolt on the adaptto screen and fit the throttle, plug in a temporary battery and I should be good to go.

Bike looks great Rod. The small splashes of red really suit the white frame. Size wise, the bike looks to be good fit for you too. Look forward to hearing how the bike performs and how it compares to other builds you have done.

Back