Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

Rube said:
Hi, any chance a BBSHD would fit on a beta? This site indicates bottom bracket sizes of 68, 73, 92, 100, 110, and 120mm. Previously I've only seen listing for 68, 73 and 100mm.
Or am I off track and the larger size is irrelevant considering the 68mm bottom bracket?

Kepler said:
BBS02 won't fit. Believe me, I tried. The bearings around the Bottom bracket plus the swing arm clamps make it too wide by about 10mm. BB is 68mm
bump?

Been enjoying the Beta heaps but it has nearly got me in trouble a couple of times so far. Problem lies in that I need to have a left-hand throttle because of the rapid fire shifter on the right-hand side. Tried a few throttles and went with a left-hand mount half twist. This had a nice feel but it wasn't intuitive so if things happen suddenly like the front wheel coming up unexpectedly under power, it always took a split second too long to rectify. Managed to save it each time so far but I could see it was just a matter of time before it was going to bite me big time.

So I though I would try a reverse mounted thumb throttle. This means you push it forward for more throttle. Now I hear what you saying. Surely this has got to be even less intuitive. However, although I am still getting use to pushing the throttle forward to go, the natural reaction if you get into trouble is to just lift your thumb away and let it go. Also when you have hit the throttle too hard and the front is lifting, the natural movement is to release the throttle rather twisting more throttle on like you do with a twist throttle.

Anyway, I like so so far and will run like this for a while to see how it goes. BTW, the red lever is for the dropper seat post.

20170130_090905.jpg

Other addition is a regen microswitch on the front brake lever. So a light touch of the front brake gives you regen which is all you need most of the time. Then if you need more just pull in more to activate the front disc. This setup really does give you one lever braking. I hardly touch the rear brake anymore and am half considering removing it completely to give my swingarm a bit more clearance.

20170130_090848.jpg

Very nice John, as always, I am impressed with your creative solutions. Left hand thumb throttle, I think it would take some getting used to for me, I have been riding 2 wheeled machines with right hand twist throttles since 1974.

Thanks Rix. I can well imagine this wouldn't suit someone like yourself who has been using a righthand twist throttle for that long. Not sure if this will definitely suit me either but I am liking it so far.

Kepler said:
Thanks Rix. I can well imagine this wouldn't suit someone like yourself who has been using a righthand twist throttle for that long. Not sure if this will definitely suit me either but I am liking it so far.
I am sure there is a little bit of a learning curve. You mention quite a bit that front wheel comes off the ground alot :twisted: that just sounds awesome. BRAAAAPPPPPP! BTW, I messaged JK and told him about the Alpha undergoing a face lift this spring. Told him I was inspired by your big wheels on your Beta. I won't say much more about until its done, but we will see a strange combo of 27.5" front MTB wheel with a MC rear wheel tire combo I have not yet tried before. I blame you for spending the money to go bigger :lol:

I don't regret going with the big wheels that's for sure. The bike rolls over everything like a steam roller. Never had a bike that gets so many looks when parked either. Even more then my Bomber use to get.

Kepler said:
I don't regret going with the big wheels that's for sure. The bike rolls over everything like a steam roller. Never had a bike that gets so many looks when parked either. Even more then my Bomber use to get.

Not surprised one bit your Beta gets more looks than the Bomber. Really sweet build.

My Beta 29'er went on a rescue mission today. A mate of mine had his Bosch powered cargo bike break down today. 36 degree day (97 degrees Fahrenheit) about 10km from home with a bunch of hills in between.

No worries, hooked up the cargo bike to the back of the Beta and towed him home. The cargo bike had never gone above 25kph (speed limited) until today. Sat on 35kph to 40kph not a problem. Not bad considering the 160kg (350lb) load.

Attachments

• 20170208_183940.jpg
    20170208_183940.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 2,515
so... a guy in Perth (Rod) has just installed a mid drive (I assume a BBSXX) on a Beta. It's on the Endless Sphere Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/endless.sphere/permalink/1248127308589668/
Anyone have any idea how he did it? / Rod, how did you do it?

a question...
I really like Kepler's 29er Beta, but not the idea of trying to get the swingarm adjusted.

If the Beta was to be made into a 96er (or a 97.5er): could the geometry be sorted out through the use of a longer rear shock than the 220mm?

PRW said:
so... a guy in Perth (Rod) has just installed a mid drive (I assume a BBSXX) on a Beta. It's on the Endless Sphere Facebook page.

Rod machined some custom brackets because the swingarm pivot is part of the BB. Rod is going to give us a break down of his build when hes satisfied with it.

Rix said:
PRW said:

Rod machined some custom brackets because the swingarm pivot is part of the BB. Rod is going to give us a break down of his build when hes satisfied with it.
Excellent, thanks Rix. A Beta with bbshd would be an ideal trail bike, for me

Rix said:
I dont think he even did that in the end - the cyclone brackets are made to go under the bottom bracket and be pinched/held in place between the frame and the screw in BB ends. You could probably make shorter ones to bring the motor in closer to the frame but as you can see, they seem to fit out of the box. I like the concept of a cyclone beta, it's something Rod and I have spoken about for a while. They're a tad noisy for me but when I get time I'm going to experiment with fitting one internally in the bottom of the frame and see if that quietens them down.
The BBSHD noise level is good but a tad anaemic for me. If the stock drive line holds up I reckon 3kw would make it a sweet little single track machine.

cyclone-beta.jpg

I still haven't finished my own beta yet. What a travesty :(
The only thing standing in the way is a controller (blew up a brand new one trying to sort the hall combos! :x ) but have been too busy helping others with their builds lately. There'll be another army green alpha to match yours Rix floating around the US soon and I've just started work on a high powered alpha for a guy in the UK. It should be nice - gunmetal and carbon with red highlights :)

PRW said:
Rix said:
PRW said:

I would never do this. The Beta is to heavy and bulky for such a small motor. If you want to go with a puny BBS then invest in a real MTB frame this will save you a lot of weight and bulkiness, way better for the trails.

Allex said:
PRW said:
Rix said:
PRW said:

I would never do this. The Beta is to heavy and bulky for such a small motor. If you want to go with a puny BBS then invest in a real MTB frame this will save you a lot of weight and bulkiness, way better for the trails.
thanks Alex, I am planning on getting a decent DH frame shortly. Will look at this for BBSHD.
The reason for looking at a mid drive for off road: went this weekend on an off road ride with lots of twisty, steep hills. Me on a Phasor with +-6000W (Mxus 3k), wife with BBSHD at +- 1600W. I weigh about 50% more than my wife... :). Where I could fly up - great. But, there were also walkers around, and lots of tight corners with steep hills - meaning my motor started hitting the thermal limit after about an hour's riding. My wife's bike could crawl up hills all day - and she didn't change down below "3rd", =15T, with a 42T Lekkie bling ring.

Allex said:
[q

Excellent, thanks Rix. A Beta with bbshd would be an ideal trail bike, for me[/quote]

I would never do this. The Beta is to heavy and bulky for such a small motor. If you want to go with a puny BBS then invest in a real MTB frame this will save you a lot of weight and bulkiness, way better for the trails.[/quote]

I agree with this Alex, problem is, a real MTB frame doesn't have a battery compartment, using the beta frame allows Rod to have a place to put the batteries. Yah, a MTB frame could use a triangle bag to hold the batteries, but there is something about having a dedicated battery compartment that just makes it nice.

Be kinda cool if you made a 18s2p pack and lay it flay while keeping the side covers off
so you can look through the frame and not see anything.....

it would be light and a BB mid would work

but

that is like buying a convertible Ferrari to gut the rear seats and turn it into a ute.

MAX Ah MAX POWER

Rix said:
Allex said:
[q

I agree with this Alex, problem is, a real MTB frame doesn't have a battery compartment, using the beta frame allows Rod to have a place to put the batteries. Yah, a MTB frame could use a triangle bag to hold the batteries, but there is something about having a dedicated battery compartment that just makes it nice.

This is the cyclone motor and its 3 kilowatt currently. It has its own mount and i bolted it to the BB.

The BBSHD will not fit this frame by the way. I used a locking ring to stop the movement. I was thinking i would need additional mounts but its tight.

Back