Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

Rix said:
icherouveim said:
Hello guys,

I have an issue with my DNM USD-6 fork I've bought from Alex for my flux beta (I think it came from Hyena).
When the fork was new I had to pump air every 4-5 days, gradually it was getting worst and worst so after about 6 months of use I have to pump air every day.
Does anyone else has a similar issue with a DNM fork ? is this normal ?

please advice.

This is an indicator you may need a fork rebuild. Local bike shop can do this. Let them know what the problem is, and model so they can order parts. Also, contact DNM and tell them whats going on. dnm@dnmshock.com I don't know what kind of warranty coverage they offer, but its worth a shot. Tell them the USD 6 with 1 1/8th stem, and the year you got it.

Hello,

Actually this is a new fork, I haven't done more than 1000km - 1200km with it and it was only at urban roads.
The reason I am asking is because I want to find out if mine is defective or if it's a normal behavior for this fork.
By the way my other marzocchi fork can hold the air pressure for months.
I've also sent an email to DNM, let's hope they are going to answer.
It seems that DNM manufacture low quality forks.
Please share your experience with your DNM forks, there are so many guys that use them.
how they behave after 4-6 months of use ?

Thanks,

Ioannis

I have had excellent luck with DNM products, so far, they have the best performance for the price of anything i have had on 2 wheels. I know a couple of guys have had their shocks revalved. One guy said his suspension tech described the DNM as being very similiar internally in design to Elka systems. Sometimes things happen or fail and there is no reason. I suspect with what you subjected your fork too, maybe a fluke incident.

Rix said:
I have had excellent luck with DNM products, so far, they have the best performance for the price of anything i have had on 2 wheels. I know a couple of guys have had their shocks revalved. One guy said his suspension tech described the DNM as being very similiar internally in design to Elka systems. Sometimes things happen or fail and there is no reason. I suspect with what you subjected your fork too, maybe a fluke incident.

You very rarely see a DNM failure, yet ive blown seals on forks, cracked resevoirs on rear shocks etc.. on rockshoxx stuff over the years. They were only dealing with mountain bike weight too, not a 30kg ebike.
Infact, my old Dorados are the only big brand fork Ive never broken.

I'd love to feel a set of USD8's after revalving, did you get to ride the revalved ones Rix?

Sean9002 said:
Rix said:

You very rarely see a DNM failure, yet ive blown seals on forks, cracked resevoirs on rear shocks etc.. on rockshoxx stuff over the years. They were only dealing with mountain bike weight too, not a 30kg ebike.
Infact, my old Dorados are the only big brand fork Ive never broken.

I'd love to feel a set of USD8's after revalving, did you get to ride the revalved ones Rix?

Yes I did, infact, last fall. I don't know what was done with the valve stack, but a stiffer spring was added. They performed very well, right on par with my MRP Groove. IN stock form, they are just a hair soft for riders over 200#s on Ebikes. But even in stock form, they work very well albeit a little too plush.

Rix said:
icherouveim said:
Thank you all for your feedback.
I thought DNM is the worst company.

No, RST is :lol: :lol:
No Zoom is!! :lol:
DNM are actually great bang for buck. Mtb purists and pro riders may find faults but I've been using them on ebikes for years and I think they're pretty damn good for the job. I guess alot of others think the same as they're rapidly becoming the standard fork now on high powered ebikes.

Rix said:
So is that HEB ALpha build for you?
No it's not, but now I wish it was! I liked white initially but now I'm digging the gunmetal and red.
The good thing about building bikes for other people is having people throw you a stack of cash at you and getting to build a sweet bike. The down side is having to hand it over at the end! That alpha is actually going to an existing bomber owner - it's largely more of the same but with a schlumpf instead of the vboxx. Oh, apart from double the power and 50% more range 8)

In other news I FINALLY got around to editing a bit of an assembly tutorial for the beta. Nothing too exciting but it's a quick run through for those who are interested. I also did a time lapse of assembling that grey alpha to the same stage which I'll post shortly too.

[youtube]g0hria8RPzs[/youtube]

I've also just had the new crystalyte gear arrive this morning too so I'm keen to get a look at that this afternoon.
I never ended up getting my white beta on the road so I'm going to scrap the previous controller and keep it all crystalyte so the configuration it's exactly what I'll be able to offer to others in kit form. I'm off to Canberra later this week for a conference and will take this bike with me so I HAVE to finish it off in the next 2 days.

Hyena said:
Rix said:
icherouveim said:
Thank you all for your feedback.
I thought DNM is the worst company.

I've also just had the new crystalyte gear arrive this morning too so I'm keen to get a look at that this afternoon.
I never ended up getting my white beta on the road so I'm going to scrap the previous controller and keep it all crystalyte so the configuration it's exactly what I'll be able to offer to others in kit form. I'm off to Canberra later this week for a conference and will take this bike with me so I HAVE to finish it off in the next 2 days.

Damn you even got Hyena engraved handlebar stem, next time I order some parts from you, hook me up with one. Nice vid. Almost exactly how I assembled my Beta.

PRW said:
nice clear concise video, Jay! Looking forward to hearing about the Crystalyte.
Thanks. My crystalyte gear has arrived - stay tuned for a review on that. They have a new option of a 90A 18 fet controller which externally looks the same as the 60A with a whopping great heatsink hanging off it that's about the same size again as the controller. Combined with hubsinks on the motor this will make for quite a spikey looking ride :lol:

Rix said:
Damn you even got Hyena engraved handlebar stem, next time I order some parts from you, hook me up with one. Nice vid. Almost exactly how I assembled my Beta.
Not quite engraved - the side covers are laser cut but the stem is just a sticker. I actually ordered plain black ones but they arrived with some logo that I didn't really like so I had the stickers made to go over it instead. It'll largely be covered by the CA anyway but yeah, it matches the side covers.

Hyena said:
PRW said:
nice clear concise video, Jay! Looking forward to hearing about the Crystalyte.
Thanks. My crystalyte gear has arrived - stay tuned for a review on that. They have a new option of a 90A 18 fet controller which externally looks the same as the 60A with a whopping great heatsink hanging off it that's about the same size again as the controller. Combined with hubsinks on the motor this will make for quite a spikey looking ride :lol:

rs.

What Phase/Amp ratio will your controllers be programmed with?

They're programmable so I'll be experimenting. Probably 2:1 at this stage.
I'm just waiting on the software (I forgot to ask for it earlier)
It'll be interesting to see what sort of flux weakening type shenanigans you can manipulate too. Depending on what sort of over speed/boost I can achieve, on paper, I'm thinking the H4065 might be perfect if I can squeeze a bit more top end out of it.

Back when I built my first white fighter (5+ years ago now!) the H4080 was perfect on 18S but a bit too inefficient and ran hot on higher voltage up towards 24S. The H4060 though lacked mid range and top end sting on 18S because it'd rapidly accelerate to 50km/hr odd then die off (with the up side that in the twisties at low speed it wasn't pulling high current all the time on it's way to a higher RPM) . The H4065 on 20S with a bit of sinewave black magic should be perfect I reckon.

Jay, have a ride on my Fighter on Friday.
I'm running a Leaf motor which is about the equivalent winding of the HS4065, but because it uses 0.35mm laminations it's higher efficiency puts it close to the HS40xx motors in terms of overall performance given enough amps.
The weight savings and low cogging more than make up for the minor drop in off the line torque IMO.
Given the cost, I think anyone considering a HS40xx these days would be mad not to consider the 35mm Leaf motor.

Cheers

Hm I use Leaf 4T 35mm@18s and this thing is way to fast. I am hitting 80km/h with no stress. So I bet it is similar to 4080 when it comes to RPM.
I think I will grab 5T in the hopes to lower the temperature as my riding speed is 40-60km/h anyway.
To bad the Merlin is out of ferrofluid I used my last syringe for my 4T.

Allex said:
Hm I use Leaf 4T 35mm@18s and this thing is way to fast. I am hitting 80km/h with no stress. So I bet it is similar to 4080 when it comes to RPM.
I think I will grab 5T in the hopes to lower the temperature as my riding speed is 40-60km/h anyway.
To bad the Merlin is out of ferrofluid I used my last syringe for my 4T.
I wasn't sure, but now you say that, yeah, mine is definitely a 5T as I'm maxing out at around 65km/h on 18S.
Combined with venting, fan cooling, FF and heatsinks this 5T handles a hell of a lot of abuse considering it's only 35mm wide.

While I like occasionally hitting 70-80+, realistically I don't enjoy it as much as the only places I feel safe doing so are wide open spaces usually on the road, or empty bike paths where doing so is frowned upon anyway. Your right Allex, 40-60km/h is where it's at mostly.

Cheers

Hyena said:
T

Back when I built my first white fighter (5+ years ago now!) the H4080 was perfect on 18S but a bit too inefficient and ran hot on higher voltage up towards 24S. The H4060 though lacked mid range and top end sting on 18S because it'd rapidly accelerate to 50km/hr odd then die off (with the up side that in the twisties at low speed it wasn't pulling high current all the time on it's way to a higher RPM) . The H4065 on 20S with a bit of sinewave black magic should be perfect I reckon.

Totally agree there. BTW, for motors in terms of DD and light weight, the H series you have been running over the years is king. They are a around 1kg lighter than the MXUS and put out alot of grunt for their size. The only way I see of improving the H40 is with an aluminum stater armature. Probably would save another pound, and be even more tolerant to heat. I heard a rumor the H40 may be upgraded to an aluminum stater armature. Any truth to that?

Cowardlyduck said:
Jay, have a ride on my Fighter on Friday.
I'm running a Leaf motor which is about the equivalent winding of the HS4065, but because it uses 0.35mm laminations it's higher efficiency puts it close to the HS40xx motors in terms of overall performance given enough amps.
The weight savings and low cogging more than make up for the minor drop in off the line torque IMO.
Given the cost, I think anyone considering a HS40xx these days would be mad not to consider the 35mm Leaf motor.

Cheers
Yah, the Canberra ride! get some video.

Rix said:
Hyena said:
T

Totally agree there. BTW, for motors in terms of DD and light weight, the H series you have been running over the years is king. They are a around 1kg lighter than the MXUS and put out alot of grunt for their size. The only way I see of improving the H40 is with an aluminum stater armature. Probably would save another pound, and be even more tolerant to heat. I heard a rumor the H40 may be upgraded to an aluminum stater armature. Any truth to that?

Yeah Crystalyte motors are not so bad. I use an HS3540 for the last two years, now it works with my flux beta frame, it doesn't have to much sag compared to MXUS v3 (as reported) and at 6500W - 230 phase amps it gives you a really good punch. I had to drill some holes at the side covers because it was overheating in 15 minutes. now it's ok.
for more power of course you need something better.

Rix said:
I heard a rumor the H40 may be upgraded to an aluminum stater armature. Any truth to that?
I posted a pic of it a dozen or so posts up :p

Rix said:
Yah, the Canberra ride! get some video.
Here's a FB live vid of a few alphas. More vids to follow.

https://www.facebook.com/hyenaelectricbikes/videos/1294793750607904/

Got some nice shots of my alpha too

AogOOaP.jpg

gGTFJ0b.jpg

Hyena said:
Rix said:
I heard a rumor the H40 may be upgraded to an aluminum stater armature. Any truth to that?
I posted a pic of it a dozen or so posts up :p

[/img]

I didnt know that was a H40, seem I remembered you said it could have been something with a 40mm or a 55mm wide stator. I guess I remembered it wrong. :oops:

@hyena any chance you got youtube links for those videos? Facebook is the devil remember.

PRW said:
Your memory's fine, Rix - Hyena was being all mystical at the time...

Oh man, Okay, glad that its not the on set of CRS, cant remember $h!t. I didn't have time to go back and look. Later today I will. H40 with an aluminum stator with a 14mm X 10mm axle would be the cat's meow. Sign me up. If I recall correctly, the H series is compatible with the Adaptto where as the Crown/TC series isn't.

IanM said:
Nice pics Jay, makes me want to go to Canberra, oh wait I'm already here. :lol:
Those are ally nice pics. Top notch, of course, we expect nothing less than that from the mighty Hyena.

Back