Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

Lash said:
Cowardlyduck said:
Has anyone else done anything like this yet for their Alpha? I know Lash made a similar pack a while back, but can't recall if it was 14p like this.

Hey CD, my pack was 20s10p the cells were nested together but only 5 wide i think from memory. I like simple packs so you can build fast.
14s14p is 196 cells, so 20s10p is slighlty more. I think alex holds the record for 20s12p?

I like a little wiggle room and room for padding.
Thanks for the feedback!

Well I've promised the pack will be an 18S14P monster so I better stick to that now. The 2 x 7 wide is not a problem in terms of padding....the padding is just minimal. 8)
The same config on my Fighter is still holding up well so I know it can work. I won't be using any spacers or bulky parts (including no BMS) so it should all fit nicely.
I asked the buyer of my Alpha to get onto ES, but he doesn't even use facebook, so not much chance although he might be reading this. :)

Now I don't have an Alpha any more I guess I better exit this thread....now I'm getting an LMX 64. :p 8)

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Lash said:
Cowardlyduck said:
Has anyone else done anything like this yet for their Alpha? I know Lash made a similar pack a while back, but can't recall if it was 14p like this.

Hey CD, my pack was 20s10p the cells were nested together but only 5 wide i think from memory. I like simple packs so you can build fast.
14s14p is 196 cells, so 20s10p is slighlty more. I think alex holds the record for 20s12p?

I like a little wiggle room and room for padding.
Thanks for the feedback!

Well I've promised the pack will be an 18S14P monster so I better stick to that now. The 2 x 7 wide is not a problem in terms of padding....the padding is just minimal. 8)
The same config on my Fighter is still holding up well so I know it can work. I won't be using any spacers or bulky parts (including no BMS) so it should all fit nicely.
I asked the buyer of my Alpha to get onto ES, but he doesn't even use facebook, so not much chance although he might be reading this. :)

Now I don't have an Alpha any more I guess I better exit this thread....now I'm getting an LMX 64. :p 8)

Cheers

Well CD, post up a link to the LMX64 when you get it.

Cowardlyduck said:
Well I've promised the pack will be an 18S14P monster so I better stick to that now.

Cheers

Wowzers 252 cells! that will have to be the record for sure. the range on that will be epic. Interesting about no BMS...

LMX 64! - serious.!? They look very nice, I especially like the drive chain. Chain slap is so annoying.

as Rix says, looking forward to seeing pics of the lmx and for me i want to see pics of your battery build... ;)

lash-ebike-beta-mac-assailant.jpg

Putting the BETA through some more testing today.

First up damn, these are the best offroad tyres ive used, Michelin Rock R & Rock R 2s' I think in the rear. Big n chunky and awesome in rocky nasty terrain, lots of good grip up the front, and you get a little warning time if you are drifting the front a touch and pushing the limits a bit.

I have the s12sn 40A controller at 50% power - this shows about 300-600w on the screen most of the time under load, maybe even less, yet the punch is still significant from 10-20 odd ks (switch back single track stuff). There is enough pop to pull you out of corners and to pop the front end over stuff out of a corner etc. Max speed is about 42-43 kmh before it tapers off. I think this is right on the 12t.

Anyway what a capable little off road machine, really enjoying how nimble it is.
BUT I'm still having occasional chain drop. Damn I thought i'd got to the bottom of it, but I think I am going to need a chainguide fitted as the chain comes onto the main ring.
(they dont make the guides big enough to suit 48t so will have to mod an existing one I have....)

I think I am going to pony up for a clutch deraileur of some sort too to help hold the show in place.

Theres not quite enough all round toque to just go with a tensioner only, although that would be nice - just like the alpha setup.

TBH it would be nice to just ditch the whole chain mechanism, and be done with it. Or have some kind of battery regen pedal system instead so your pedalling just charges the battery.

In other news I took out a 1500w BETA today Im working on to see how it goes. I am a little underwhelmed with it unfortunately - though still just on a stock 35A chinese controller, so when i get a temp monitor I might have to push it a bit further to get some smiles going.... so far its only pulling 1200w and is a bit of a wet blanket at 40kmh. (battery was a bit low though)...

Thanks cd. I have a bionicon C . Eco guide for that part of the chain, which certainly helps but I think I need a guide as the chain enters the main cog.
So at the top. I have a guide that goes on the BB behind the crank, theres a slider adjuster thing that I'll need to the a bit longer out of aluminium, should be straight forward for a one off.

Just have to get around to doing that. The deraileuer is crap, no tension.

I'll post some pics up sometime soon too sure what I mean.

One day I'll get a 3d printer, I actually got some files the other day for a giant glory for alloy dropouts conversion, so will be hunting down a CNC milling dude in Australia at least to make up a set...

They are a bit too exe to get just one of!

Happy riding over the holidays everyone!

Might be staying over your way Thursday lash. Will have my beta with me. I’ll throw one of my tensioners in the van and show you my setup.

3ca07497501aae798d1e186b1cb4ccfa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samd said:
Might be staying over your way Thursday lash. Will have my beta with me. I’ll throw one of my tensioners in the van and show you my setup.

Dargh, and I was kind of down your way, coming back from a few days away in the caravan for a pre-xmas escape.

Hit me up anytime for a ride, I want to do more rides next year. Be good to see your setup and compare notes. Looks likes yours is single speed - im running a 7spd on the MAC.
Your tensioner looks nice and compact though.

I'm off to the Harcourt MTB park to run amok down there on the BETA and put it through its paces and see how it likes to 'fly' over some jumps.
Shouldn't be any chain drops over this smoother terrain so should be right for today.

Lash said:
Samd said:

Dargh, and I was kind of down your way, coming back from a few days away in the caravan for a pre-xmas escape.

Hit me up anytime for a ride, I want to do more rides next year. Be good to see your setup and compare notes. Looks likes yours is single speed - im running a 7spd on the MAC.
Your tensioner looks nice and compact though.

I'm off to the Harcourt MTB park to run amok down there on the BETA and put it through its paces and see how it likes to 'fly' over some jumps.
Shouldn't be any chain drops over this smoother terrain so should be right for today.

Take some video?

Now that my Alpha has been finished for a number of weeks, I think it's time to share some photos of it!
Here it is finished (excluding a mudhugger 29" rear mudguard I have since put on the rear, and also ignore the large lock mounted onto the fork)
FqH2Wyo.jpg

and here are some pictures from my battery build.
oLslMgu.jpg

rnLj7M1.jpg

kWS8757.jpg

ZlC5hVQ.jpg

the battery is made up of 200 LG HG2 cells in spacers for a total of a 84v 30ah pack, the pack was welded with a arduino spot welder v3 with .3mm nickel strip and reinforced with 2.3mm solid copper which was tinned and then soldered on at 480 celcius for only 2-3 seconds then cooled with an ice water paper towel sponge, the cells didn't even get warm, so I certainly suggest this for anyone running lots of current, all credit goes to lash who I stole the copper reinforcement idea from - Cheers bud!

Also it took me forever to find real pure nickel strip and not nickel plated steel, for anyone also looking here's where I purchased my .3mm nickel from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/150pcs-0-15-8-100mm-Pure-Nickel-Plate-Strap-Strip-Sheets-99-96-for-battery-spot/32776302141.html , the battery is also now shrink wrapped in a blue pvc wrapping to protect it from dust etc, i'll get a photo of the battery fitment next time the side panels are off.
The BMS I use is the 300A bluetooth type from aliexpress with the vbms app, I 10/10 recommend the 300a Bluetooth bms's, they're really excellent.

As for the torque arms/ chain tensioners I mentioned earlier, here they are finished and on the bike, they've been working excellent so far.
6uRGQBP.jpg

R4jOxuU.jpg

njHJkFB.jpg

DvNhHpl.jpg

cXZHXD7.jpg

I also have M16 Nordlocks under the axle nuts now, which have been working great, basically a must have for anyone using regen on their bike. Be mindful that QS motors use M16 axles yet most of the Mxus motors are M14 from memory,

Anyway that's all for now, I'm thinking of doing some pretty serious travel in a year or so aswell so I may have to sell this bike at the end of 2019 unless I can figure something else out, Just a heads up to gauge interest - But as for the current moment I'm loving every second on the bike - I've never had a toy that consistently leaves me laughing after every ride.

\\ (•◡•) / said:
Now that my Alpha has been finished for a number of weeks, I think it's time to share some photos of it!
Here it is finished (excluding a mudhugger 29" rear mudguard I have since put on the rear, and also ignore the large lock mounted onto the fork)
FqH2Wyo.jpg

and here are some pictures from my battery build.
oLslMgu.jpg

rnLj7M1.jpg

kWS8757.jpg

ZlC5hVQ.jpg

the battery is made up of 200 LG HG2 cells in spacers for a total of a 84v 30ah pack, the pack was welded with a arduino spot welder v3 with .3mm nickel strip and reinforced with 2.3mm solid copper which was tinned and then soldered on at 480 celcius for only 2-3 seconds then cooled with an ice water paper towel sponge, the cells didn't even get warm, so I certainly suggest this for anyone running lots of current, all credit goes to lash who I stole the copper reinforcement idea from - Cheers bud!

Also it took me forever to find real pure nickel strip and not nickel plated steel, for anyone also looking here's where I purchased my .3mm nickel from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/150pcs-0-15-8-100mm-Pure-Nickel-Plate-Strap-Strip-Sheets-99-96-for-battery-spot/32776302141.html , the battery is also now shrink wrapped in a blue pvc wrapping to protect it from dust etc, i'll get a photo of the battery fitment next time the side panels are off.
The BMS I use is the 300A bluetooth type from aliexpress with the vbms app, I 10/10 recommend the 300a Bluetooth bms's, they're really excellent.

As for the torque arms/ chain tensioners I mentioned earlier, here they are finished and on the bike, they've been working excellent so far.
6uRGQBP.jpg

R4jOxuU.jpg

njHJkFB.jpg

DvNhHpl.jpg

cXZHXD7.jpg

I also have M16 Nordlocks under the axle nuts now, which have been working great, basically a must have for anyone using regen on their bike. Be mindful that QS motors use M16 axles yet most of the Mxus motors are M14 from memory,

Anyway that's all for now, I'm thinking of doing some pretty serious travel in a year or so aswell so I may have to sell this bike at the end of 2019 unless I can figure something else out, Just a heads up to gauge interest - But as for the current moment I'm loving every second on the bike - I've never had a toy that consistently leaves me laughing after every ride.
Very nice build, need to make a video of it in action.

\\ (•◡•) / said:
Nice build! Really like the battery.
I take a different approach for current carrying capability. I layer up multiple spot welded nickle strips on top. Seems to be working for my 14S14P Fighter pack with 6 x 4 series layers per parallel group.
I'll be taking the same approach but with 6 layers for the 18S14P battery I'll see building for the buyer of my Alpha over the coming weeks.
Doing it this way minimises added height in the battery and eliminates the need to solder. That being said if I wasn't doing 14P I think we copper approach is totally valid for lower parallel count groups like yours.

Cheers

Rix said:
Very nice build, need to make a video of it in action.
I actually have a lot of gopro footage from the 500km I have done on the bike so far, I may release the vids as an unlisted youtube video some time soon - however, most of the footage isn't super exciting anyway as I have only recently become comfortable corning a bit harder on it, however I've found my way onto some really incredible trails , I was actually planning on going back to them tomorrow, so I'll bring along the gopro and see how I get on.

Cowardlyduck said:
\\ (•◡•) / said:
Nice build! Really like the battery.
I take a different approach for current carrying capability. I layer up multiple spot welded nickle strips on top. Seems to be working for my 14S14P Fighter pack with 6 x 4 series layers per parallel group.
I'll be taking the same approach but with 6 layers for the 18S14P battery I'll see building for the buyer of my Alpha over the coming weeks.
Doing it this way minimises added height in the battery and eliminates the need to solder. That being said if I wasn't doing 14P I think we copper approach is totally valid for lower parallel count groups like yours.

Cheers
I though about doing that, yet decided on the copper as I can discharge my battery at peaks of 150-200amps, So wanted something that could carry a huge amount of current, plus just with the .3mm nickel I used i went through 85$ of nickel strip (used two 10 metres rolls of .3mm x 10mm nickel) - Glad to here it's working for you though, I'm sure it's certainly making for a thin layer in comparison to the copper, come to think of it 4 strands of 11awg solid copper plus the .3mm nickel was probably overkill as the hottest i have seen is get was 33 Celsius on a hot day when the cells were also 33 (so was probably the cells were just heating the nickel), and that was after a 60km ride on one charge when I road along an incredible track that just didn't stop!

Also I forgot to mention some specs about the bike if anyone is interested

power - 16,800 theoretical watts from full charge, the power comes from:
battery: 20s 10p battery of LG HG2 cells, which are rated at 20amp continuous discharge and 25amp peak bursts, so hot off the charger the battery can deliver 200a at 84v, I've yet to use more than the 95amps the controller is currently programmed at, which keeps everything super cool and still puts a big smile on my face at 8kw, the bike on cruise control at 50kmh uses less than 2kw (it's around 30wh/km), which is what I use when commuting on roads - I really want my battery to last many thousands of km's - too much love and labour went into it to abuse it haha.
On the cell's datasheet even at 15a continuous discharge the cells still hold 2200mah after 600 cycles - so even if i could somehow use 11-12kw continuous for every ride i'd get at least 35,000km out of the battery, probably more like 50,000km - however that's not considering the short range that would come from the inefficiency of 11kw cruise and all the extra drag and such high speeds - anyway i'm a happy man with that lifespan, still a lot cheaper and much more fun than paying for petrol.
also I feel I should mention i'm loving the range with 30ah, plotting along on a bike path or trail the percentage hardly moves.

controller: 200a powervelocity sine-wave controller which can deliver the full 84v at 200a to the motor with 450 phase amps

motor - QS205v3 4T (7awg phase wires) with ferrofluid and hubsinks all sealed with high temp silicon gasket - highest temp recorded so far after 8kw speed runs spread out through a 10km ride was 85celcius

general specs:
19" moto rims front and rear with shinko 241 19 x 2.75 tires
hope tech 3 v4 brakes front and rear
203mm hope floating rotors front and rear

as far as future upgrades now i'm just considering getting a 3 speed schlumpf alternative on the front and a rockguardz front carbon mudguard which i'll have to custom mould some new plastic fork guards to mount the mudguard to - damn you inverted forks.
I wish someone sold custom made fork boots with the wheel arch thing at the top like standard forks have, exactly like what the dvo emerald forks have - I guess i'll just have to made them myself in the coming weeks/ months - I have also asked the guy who helped me manufacture the torque arms about this and am currently planning something which I may even sell to others here running the DNM USD 8's if I can get the design/ manufacturing right and affordable - could perhaps be popular amongst the new stealth's running the usd8's on the front?

\\ (•◡•) / said:

Hey man thanks for the cred - but I must pass cred up the line to 9lives who I copied for my design. Plus countless others on here and around the traps. Ive never used cell holders, but see now that some hexagon shaped ones are out that allow for more dense cell packing. They could be handy for future builds. Looking at your pack with all that copper - there should be no warming there thats for sure. And as CD's methods of stacking nickel, this can be effective for lower draw packs, I have done this on some smaller packs where I just need a slight bump up in capability.

\\ (•◡•) / said:
Also it took me forever to find real pure nickel strip and not nickel plated steel,
Ive switched to 25mm wide .2mm thick nickle strip for my packs (based on SamDs designs) it covers 2 cells at a time and can carry more / spread the current load better than the narrower stuff. I imported about 5kgs of the stuff (150m?) from a factory when I was getting serious about building batteries. I'm happy to supply strip to ES peeps in AUS who need it, say in 10m+ lots , at basically cover price. Just PM me if anyone’s interested.

But lastly, great looking bike!
The little details like black bolts look good too.
Good to hear you like the bluetooth BMS, I think I'll get one of those next year for this new Alpha I have underway.

and yes as others have said +1 for video footage - Im in the same camp I need to record more stuff. I should of had a cam on the other day, accidently rode over a snake! poor bugger.

IMG_20181228_143836_zpsvlxzhkzl.jpg

This bike shreds downhill! Not so much uphill though. I think I've got the wrong phase/Hall combo for this motor so it definitely feels sluggish after its Hall sensor repair. I think a mid drive is in the future for this bike as I love how light this bike feels when riding.

Lash said:
But lastly, great looking bike!
The little details like black bolts look good too.
and yes as others have said +1 for video footage - Im in the same camp I need to record more stuff. I should of had a cam on the other day, accidently rode over a snake! poor bugger

thanks for the reply Lash, since you build so many great looking bikes heres were the black bolts came from if you're interested: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100PCS-M6-series-10-9-round-head-hex-socket-screws-M6-8-10-12-70-mm/32774016318.html
The correct length is 10mm btw.

that'a no good at all, hopefully now you can make a luxury snakeskin saddle bag?

oh also I just found these if anyone's interested: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-M12-M14-M16-M18-M20-M22-Plastic-Metric-Dome-Bolts-Nuts/32879758325.html since the axle is the lowest point at the back it's what will touch the ground if an alpha is dropped/crashed. So these are basically cheap frame sliders as it should hit pedals, barends, these covers and the front fork guards.

Cowardlyduck said:
I threw together a little video to 'launch' my new youtube channel 'Ebike Garage'. Enjoy!
[youtube]TRzNZHxlZiI[/youtube]

I'm open to any constructive feedback...new to this as you can probably tell. ;)

Cheers

It's great to see more e-bike channels, and more vids covering the FUTR's, I've subbed. Looking forward to seeing these new projects you speak of :thumb:

\\ (•◡•) / said:
Cowardlyduck said:
I threw together a little video to 'launch' my new youtube channel 'Ebike Garage'. Enjoy!

I'm open to any constructive feedback...new to this as you can probably tell. ;)

Cheers

It's great to see more e-bike channels, and more vids covering the FUTR's, I've subbed. Looking forward to seeing these new projects you speak of :thumb:

+1 here.

Hi all

Well im nearly at the stage where my Beta will be finally finished and i think ill want to transport it to some trails, any recommend a good Bike Rack for car, i guess the one that wheels rest in but wanted to see anyone used one yet.

I'm in Australia so might not have access to some brands

This is one I'm thinking but it says only does 40lbs I think my Beta will be over 30KG so double that

Cheers
Peter

cheeko said:
Hi all

Well im nearly at the stage where my Beta will be finally finished and i think ill want to transport it to some trails, any recommend a good Bike Rack for car, i guess the one that wheels rest in but wanted to see anyone used one yet.

I'm in Australia so might not have access to some brands

This is one I'm thinking but it says only does 40lbs I think my Beta will be over 30KG so double that

Cheers
Peter

https://www.discountramps.com/folding-motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-400-F/

This is what it looks like with a Stealth on it.

Attachments

• Fighter on hauler.jpg
    Fighter on hauler.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 2,023
Looks Sweet but might look pretty beefy on sedan LOL

I seen that place in Australia makes them for Stealth

Yes I found the company that makes it for Stealth and its alot cheaper then what Stealth Quoted me.

Thanks again guys, Hopefully soon ill be riding.

Back