Still big scooting in San Jose.

I think it is technically legal in California as long as you stay under 15mph.

Motorcycles, Mopeds, and Scooters - California DMV
  • A motorized scooter has 2 wheels, a motor, handlebars, and a floorboard that you can stand on while riding it.
  • You can only drive motorized scooters on a bicycle path, trail, or bikeway, not on a sidewalk, and you cannot exceed a speed of 15 mph.
  • You do not need to register motorized scooters.
  • You can drive a motorized scooter with any class driver’s license.

Noice.

My world is a strange one, I have a working space beside the house where I usually store my wheeled corpses, but I had everything in the driveway while I was sorting stuff (got another pallet of bikes in) and an officer walks up (we were expecting him) had a chat, let him know he needed to talk to the wife, and as he was leaving, he looks around and oddly says "with all these, don't you ever worry someone will think you stole them?" I pointed out that, I had well, Bought those from essentially him ::pointing at his badge:: He realised I was standing in the grave of bikes that were probably all stolen. My answer "I kind of assumed they all were at some point. either that your you folks are rolling around in your sneak mobiles gacking bikes to convince me to pay less than scrap value for them"

He wants me to build him one.. I need to find a shop around here that I can send people to.

That’s the baddest looking scooter I’ve seen. Way to be creative and innovative with your own design 👍.. I think you had a build thread of this monster scooter, right? Two qs273! Gotta love that.

I would really like to know, 0 to 30mph?
Or 0 to 60mph if you take it that fast?

Stay safe and have fun! 🤠
. Hopefully you guys can see this. ⚡

Those potholes on the freeway look pretty scary at that speed. While I couldn't see the speedometer, it's obviously able to pass cars on the freeway, most of which go over the speed limit, so that thing is crazy fast.

It's especially uncomfortable to watch while knowing that thing is literally glued together.

I like the brutally simple design of the scooter, even if the frontend is kind of an aerodynamic nightmare. The simplicity of what looks like giant stamped steel is awesome.

Is it really glued together? if so, terrifying!

Large homemade scooter

Body is mainly wood, fork crown and some reinforcements appear to be G10 or FR-4 stuck together with glass cloth and resin.

That's why I asked at the top of this thread whether he'd had to do any frame repairs.

Noice.

My world is a strange one, I have a working space beside the house where I usually store my wheeled corpses, but I had everything in the driveway while I was sorting stuff (got another pallet of bikes in) and an officer walks up (we were expecting him) had a chat, let him know he needed to talk to the wife, and as he was leaving, he looks around and oddly says "with all these, don't you ever worry someone will think you stole them?" I pointed out that, I had well, Bought those from essentially him ::pointing at his badge:: He realised I was standing in the grave of bikes that were probably all stolen. My answer "I kind of assumed they all were at some point. either that your you folks are rolling around in your sneak mobiles gacking bikes to convince me to pay less than scrap value for them"

He wants me to build him one.. I need to find a shop around here that I can send people to.
Another day, another beautiful Police encounter! So it sounds like you build bikes and e bikes? So I am bombing down the expressway and yes picture one they see me and really stare hard as I go by. I stop at the next light and they pull up beside me and ask “ What is that thing? “. I say I built it myself to which they reply “Awesome!” I tell them it is all wheel drive and I am having so much fun riding it. I say I want to build them for you guys, law enforcement, because I am way up high and have amazing vision and visibility. I ask them if they could please put out the word for me! They ask what it is made of and I tell them it is mostly composite, carbon fiber and Kevlar. They ask how fast it will go and I tell them over 70 mph, and that it will probably go faster but I am still scared! We have a chuckle, thank each other, and off they go. Are you kidding me right now? Dude I feel amazing. People film me almost everyday and the good vibes are just growing and growing. Hope all is well sir. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_0875.png
    IMG_0875.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0877.png
    IMG_0877.png
    10.3 MB · Views: 9
Those potholes on the freeway look pretty scary at that speed. While I couldn't see the speedometer, it's obviously able to pass cars on the freeway, most of which go over the speed limit, so that thing is crazy fast.
Absolutely. I, like all motorcyclist take potholes on all roads deadly seriously. They can kill us in a blink. As far as speed, this beast is only fun if you like acceleration. It can accelerate from speed like nothing I have experienced. I have taken it from San Jose to Gilroy twice to test the range and power and the performance is phenomenal. I guess I am the first to do serious AWD dual motor street cycle, but when word gets out I will bet more will try it. Just like a dual motor scooter compared to a single motor scooter , dual motor dominates power and acceleration. I would love to get a quarter mile time and I bet that might get some folks attention. Anyway hope you will enjoy more videos. 👍

I like the brutally simple design of the scooter, even if the frontend is kind of an aerodynamic nightmare. The simplicity of what looks like giant stamped steel is awesome.

Thank you so much. The giant stamped steel theme prompted the machine grey color. Light blue metallic with flames might be cool too imho! Yes it is really glued together but there is absolutely nothing to fear, and in fact quite the opposite if you have all the facts. Virtually all things made of carbon fiber are ‘glued together. Virtually all things made of KEVLAR are ’glued together’. Virtually all things made of fiberglass are glued together. Of course some grumpy people will say all new technology is bad even when it is proven to be better! I remember a guy on this very forum just ranting on about how scary and dangerous hydraulic brakes are! I am not kidding. He also ranted about composite construction builds like mine while not seeming to know much about advanced composite materials themselves. I say don’t let people scare you unless they are an expert on the subject at hand. I often smile when I think of dude singlehandedly warning the world of the fatal flaws of hydraulic brake systems, and my composite scooter! Hehe! I believe in my build or I would never risk my life on it like I do every time I ride. ⚡️ just turned over 4 thousand miles too, so that feels good. Best regards.

Yes it is really glued together but there is absolutely nothing to fear,

You still didn't answer the question I asked. Have you had to do any frame repairs?

Interesting, why did you chose to construct the big scooter that way instead of steel/alu?

I'm curious about the backstory is all, i understand glues can be pretty damn strong.

Interesting, why did you chose to construct the big scooter that way instead of steel/alu?

I'm curious about the backstory is all, i understand glues can be pretty damn strong.
Absolutely bro, I love to talk about this scoot. I almost did build it in solid aluminum first but after pricing it out decided I could get more strength and a lot more flexibility with composites. The game changer for me is Kevlar. I learned to use carbon fiber and love its strength, stiffness, and super lightweight, but it isn’t really tough and can break apart. Good luck breaking Kevlar apart! The Police and military sure appreciate their ‘glued together’ bulletproof Kevlar gear, and it is almost as light as carbon fiber. So my scoot is built with all the same composite fabric I used to repair racing hydro boats that go twice as fast on the water as my scoot goes on the freeway. People trust their lives to the strength of composite repairs I have made many times. I also try to overbuild everything, and test for strength before using! Seems like common sense right? After all that, if I make these for law enforcement I would probably be thinking solid welded aluminum body, which would be awesome! When it comes to materials, I don’t discriminate! 😁

Interesting, my dad used to make surfboards in the garage.

But i never considered the application on land due to potholes, the ocean and land forces are very different.

Please don't let Chalo dull your shine; your scoot is cool and i want to hear more. Also, i hope for your own sake that you're right about the soundness of the engineering. I don't know enough about non-metal vehicles to comment further on that.

I like your dad already. I built surfboards and boats and really love foam and fiberglass. Just with those you can almost build anything. I do appreciate the cool words sir as it does get a little old getting trolled for no good reason. I get to blow minds with my beautiful exclusive handmade alternative transportation scoot every day. The overwhelmingly positive reactions of the majority of people that see it is a fact, and no one can take the shine off of that. I want to show you guys more too, and hope to soon. Just today I got my first sponsorship to help me get started, so I am full speed ahead to try and get a title and registration next. I am adding more videos to the San Jose scooter YouTube channel too you guys might want to see. Some have some amazing lucky shots and crazy MASSIVE acceleration. Stay cool bro. 😎

I drive a car with a glued aluminium frame and to the frame glued suspension.
Now it is 20 years old, and it is still going strong.

well, all carbon bike frames are basically fabric and glue and they're pretty tough
Thank you so much for bringing facts sir. I used to own a glued together all carbon fiber Trek road bike and it was incredibly strong. I rode it very hard and trusted my life and health on it all the time. Nothing to fear.

I drive a car with a glued aluminium frame and to the frame glued suspension.
Now it is 20 years old, and it is still going strong.
Thank you so much for bringing informed facts to the discussion friend. We have almost all trusted composites with our lifes in airplanes, boats, and cars/cycles. Not to mention submersibles and spacecraft! Also skis, snowboards, tennis raquets, fishing poles etc. etc. I don’t understand why some folks want to argue about it, and say any ‘thing’ built with composites ‘ is just glued together’, other than the obvious. Have a great day and thanks again bro. 👍👍

well, all carbon bike frames are basically fabric and glue and they're pretty tough
No, they're not tough at all. They can be very strong, but only in the directions that the fibers were oriented when the frame was laid up. But toughness has an engineering meaning. A tough structure is one that can yield without fracturing, and absorbs energy as it yields. That's not carbon-plastic or any other kind of fiber reinforced plastic-- when they reach their structural limits, they either snap off, or rupture and lose their integrity.

That's why fiber reinforced plastics are rarely used in road vehicle applications, except as non-structural body panels. Boats and airplanes are better applications for such materials, because air and water apply gentler, more evenly distributed, and more gradual forces than solid objects do.

But even plastic bikes, planes, boats etc. usually incorporate metal components or subframes where forces are concentrated, because like wood, laid fiber/resin composites give up long before structural metals do. Doing a usually poorer job than metals, but much more expensively, limits their commercial use to highly engineered specialized applications. That's probably for the best, because oriented fiber composites are more energy- and labor-intensive and much less recoverable and recyclable than metals.

There was a guy I knew a long while back, he was super excited about the paper/boron/aluminum frame that someone was making. I can not swear to the boron, but as I heard it: Paper shell, with I guess Boron spooge to make paper mache, the they sputter aluminum into it to end up with "an incredibly light, incredibly strong frame that will out perform steel" He was all twitterpated about it. I learned a long time ago to never volunteer and never be the guy to buy the first of whatever they are selling. I asked years later whatever happened to his paper bike... Evidently they had not figured out a solution the fact that you peddle a bike, therefore need a round spinny bit.

My favorite sword is 200 years old. My bow is only 90, but it is a standard yew bow, they have a bit of history to em. I like leather boots and carry a fixed blade knife.... All of which I learned the hard way is going to be the absolute best thing you do. K.I.S.S. I am also 6'4 and just shy of 300 pounds (well, before the whole terminal illness thing. I stopped looking at the scale). I have never been average sized. I don't muck about much with bikes not made out of steel. yes there are other materials, but steel has been carrying fat guys around the planet for a hundred years. I am gonna go with that. Don't judge me unless you too have had a chair... in a train, break under you.

well, regarding bike frames, if you build from carbon fiber you expect it to be superlight too, so you only use as much material as is necessary. I think that's the main reason carbon frames break, same with thinned aluminium frames. Make them just a bit thicker, give some more margin, and they should hold up well in any situation. I think you could build a wooden motorbike and it would work too, as long as you use thick enough pieces and don't mess up the joints

There is actually a guy that sells a flat pack bike that is made predominantly from plywood. It serves it's purpose.

I have in my time done a lot of biking, never as anything more than an interesting kind of afternoon. i was never a dedicated cyclist. I have however watched people do the ooh ahh dance so many times and I don't poopoo them, hey get your happyness wherever you can. Just don't try to get me excited that someone came up with another way to frost a donut. I have a low threshold for entertainment. I have played in just about every "can ya feel the rush" thing you can imagine, and figured out the hard way.

Getting shot at ruins it.

Nothing gets the old gears lubed up like hearing a zzztwangzzz ... POP and realising, that first noise wasn't a bug. So I get teased by my friends as being a bit tough to entertain.. Pfft, I still giggle at Jeff Foxworthy and I never liked his humour,

I just think that announcing you have the coolest gizmo on the planet should be mayhaps come after the horse. I have watched a lot of Aluminum frams do bad things. Mainly honestly in the cheaper bikes but I grew up ghetto adjacent, all we had were cheap bikes.

There is a time and place for everything, but when you are getting excited because someone figured out how to make paper mache bike frames, you have perhaps dropped that bar a bit low. But again, not an enthusiast. I enjoy things I just seem to not be wired to get giddy about stuff.

Ok, there was the fist time I walked into.. uhm, that owl themed wing joint in Bama.. but I was 18....

I think for DIY builders here we should make an assumption that they know what they're doing and did their thinking and testing already. No need for patronizing remarks, this will not save anyone...

Back