• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Successor to the infineon clone controllers in the 1000-2000w power range?

if so, i think you're well qualified to comment on their quality
The quality is excellent. They put a lot of effort into the hardware layout to meet the EMC requirements of the european standard EN 15194. They had a series with weak level shifter transistors for UART in small 6 FET battery build in controllers, but that issue is fixed.
Here is a photo of the 12FET new generation PCB and a clone by JYTCON. You can see the difference in tidiness ;)

regards
stancecoke

index.php

Last edited:
I was told by someone i respect that sabvotons usually come tuned poorly and that is why a lot of them die.. that and not being dummy proof against bad tuning..

Lishui sound really nice and that's great information. If i want a compact 35A-40A rated, 72v compatible controller for 2-2.5kw DD hub motor usage, what lishui would you recommend?

Oh heck, they don't seem to have 72v compatible models and i can't find Lishui's anywhere except some of the lower power models.
Now i understand why i'm not familiar with the brand!

The hunt for an infineon clone and also xiechang controllers of any kind has been almost fruitless.
No current sellers, lyen has a dead webpage, can't find on alibaba.
Hi Nep,

FYI I purchased one of these controllers on a whim that it *might* be an Infineon 4 clone / Xie Chang purely based on the looks.

Turns out my hunch was correct and I was able to get it programmed by adding a programming connector:

The current item they offer looks *slight* different but I bet it's still an Infineon Clone; although a bit of wiring required.

I'm glad to hear they can still be bought somewhere other than Cutler Mac / Mac Motor tech!
Did yours have sinewave drive?

Cutler Mac is telling me they can't sell me a controller now, theirs need fixing 🙄

Above controller is a 6FET, wiring colors and leads are very different than the infineon clones i have here. i'm doubtful!

I can't find lishuis or jytcons for sale. only a few random lower powered models with no matching accessories.

I think all we have in the running for an infineon successor is:
- Sabvotons ( if tuned well and conservatively maybe? )
- KT
- VESCs

Question about the spintend adapter:

1717131695967.png
It looks like they don't sell the accessories ( throttle, brake lever etc ) with the appropriate connectors. Is it true that this requires soldering connectors on - or is there another source for the accessories?

It looks like they don't sell the accessories ( throttle, brake lever etc ) with the appropriate connectors. Is it true that this requires soldering connectors on - or is there another source for the accessories?
Those are just JST connectors -- I tend to buy the kits and solder from the pre-made wires. While you *can* get the pins and clamp your own, they are very small and fiddly.

Love that little kit, wow! Ordered!

Do you have to be picky about what throttle you use with a VESC or can you just use anything?

The FETs in the ubox that spintend sells look badass. The rds-on comes out to 2.3 ( good indicator of efficiency ), impressive for a FET with about double the power handling capability of an ol' IRFPB4110, i see how VESCs get away with having just 6 FETs with such a high efficiency MOSFET.

1717135155626.png

Do you have to kind of de-rate these like RC controllers or are their amps rated based on peak phase power? what's the catch?

Last edited:
Do you have to be picky about what throttle you use with a VESC or can you just use anything?
Generally any hall throttle will work however there is one caveat: the vesc eco system's ADC channels are generally 0-3.3v, but the vast, vast majority of throttles are 5v in, 0.8-4.2 out. This leads to two problems: 1) some VESC based controllers you will fry the ADC channel and 2) you lose a lot of the "input range" of the throttle.

The spintend controllers will survive seeing >3.3v on the ADC channel, if you directly connect it. It's generally best to 3.3v to the hall throttle (instead of 5v) which generally works for most halls, or you need to "step down" the return signal. That's actually one of the things that the adapter does for you automatically.
Do you have to kind of de-rate these like RC controllers or are their amps rated based on peak phase power?
Not in my experience

I'm glad to hear they can still be bought somewhere other than Cutler Mac / Mac Motor tech!
Did yours have sinewave drive?
Yes, it's at least simulated sine-wave.

I am using a regular old hall based ebike throttle on a VESC. The throttle worked on my old square wave controller with 5v supply and also works fine with the VESC with 3.3V supply.

Having crimped A LOT of JSTs they aren't too bad after you do a few, easier than other connectors. I've both used a voltage divider and sent 5v to the throttle and drop it down to the 3.3v range and just run the throttles at 3.3v which is the better solution as all of these hall sensors are fine at 3.3v.

It seems even the cheapest VESCs come with pretty modern and powerful FETs which is another reason I like them. Most VESCs are rated for continuous phase amps in the name and often give a peak phase amps number in the listing as well. Now that is all down to cooling but many are using MPCBs with these big FETs mounted to them and then the MPCB mounted to an aluminum case so heatsinking is efficient and low Rds of these FETs means just a lot less heat to start with. The trick with the cheap VESCs is finding ones that are built well, I've had to tweak some of the cheap ones here and there due to build quality issues. Like the MKESC 84200HP I just put on a bike I had to grind the MPCB flat so it would make good contact with the case, honeslty can't recommned that model, they are selling a totally unfinished product and even though the designer is transparent about it, that doens't change the fact it's unfinished. It seems like it takes them a couple of versions to fix all the issues but many of these manufactuers are getting better at it now. There are also some middle range options that are not made by cheap as possible Chinese companies but also aren't super pricey like the premium options. If you don't want the faff those may be a good choice.

Dudes, this is great information. I love that i can be on here for 14 years and still learn new stuff.

I think you guys totally shilled me on VESCs and i'm willing to try one.

I feel like the infineon successor has been milled down to:
- Sabvoton ( only if well tuned )
- VESC

With lishui and jytcon failing to meet the list only due to availability.

Do we happen to know anything about this bad boy? this looks like a tidy package. But i can't find anything about it on the net.

$78 for this whole kit, wow.

FLIPSKY FT85BS V2.0 ESC With Aluminum Case NON-VESC For Electric Skateboard / Scooter / Ebike Speed Controller / Electric Motorcycle / Robotics

1717219780461.png

Supposedly it runs up to 45,000 eRPM.. i imagine it would have no problems driving a MAC at high volts, MXUS XF19, or other difficult high RPM motors.

I'm questioning whether i want to be a test hamster for this or not, any opinions?

Do we happen to know anything about this bad boy? this looks like a tidy package. But i can't find anything about it on the net.
I'm questioning whether i want to be a test hamster for this or not, any opinions?
The reason you can't find much is it's very new and it's not, actually, VESC. Flipsky is experimenting with a VESC derivative of their own making with this and few other controllers. Personally, I wouldn't jump into these right now both because they're very new (and Flipsky is well known for needing a few revisions to get things settled) and because I'd much rather be on the mainline, truly supported VESC ecosystem.

Someone should take the leap and go where no man (or woman) has gone before. Though, meself, I am not into the small wheel stuff.

Seems about the same price and package as the flipsky 75100 but with even less performance somehow, less than a controller known for overheating easily so I wouldn't be expecting anything amazing results power wise from it. Also that's not much less than the Flipsky 75100 Pro V2 which will easily outperform it and which they've, uh, probably solved most of the issues since it's the 4th version of the 75100 at least and has phase filters.

I talked with the spinted people, they were super cool and helpful. They're ultra interested in producing a top ebike controller. I like their attitude.

I gave them some info on what ebikers want in controllers and invited them to the forum.

We're looking for 20-40A controllers for typical ebike usage here so the 100A for the lowest spec ubox is more than adequate. The possibility of tech support by an english speaker + interest in creating an excellent product is more than worth the price differential vs a flipsky in my eyes.

Will be ordering one tomorrow for evaluation.

I talked with the spinted people, they were super cool and helpful. They're ultra interested in producing a top ebike controller. I like their attitude.
That's really cool -- they've certainly been way out in the forefront of taking VESC to the ebike community with things like the built in "ignite" ports on controllers and the adapter unit for common accessories.

What's the ignite port?
It has a B+ output (raw battery power), a ground, and a K+ (battery positive return) which instructs the controller to "turn on". It's used in all those throttles that also have a voltmeter and key. You run the B+ through the key, the ground to the voltmeter, and when the key switch is closed, you split the output to the voltmeter and back to the K+

Thanks for that!

Order placed and on the way!

1717640200841.png

Wow, i just received it. Took a week to get it, that was fast for ordering from a Chinese company.

Very nice packing job!

1718213077466.png

All items received as expected.

1718213118435.png

For a visual on controller size, here's the spintend ( 100A rated ) compared to my 18FET 4110 controller ( 80A rated )

1718213162078.png

Includes some helpful notes and a bribe to give them a good review. Seems like a helpful and motivated company.

2024-06-12 11_37_10-20240612_105443.jpg - Paint.jpg

I'm very impressed so far. Will wire this up soon!

No kidding; but i wonder how the massive loss of heatsink mass will fare in an ebike application.
I would bet on a high power setup it needs 2x the aluminum. That still makes it less than half the size of a 18FET.

No kidding; but i wonder how the massive loss of heatsink mass will fare in an ebike application.
I would bet on a high power setup it needs 2x the aluminum. That still makes it less than half the size of a 18FET.
Does yours have the exposed aluminum/copper block and four threaded mounting holes on the back?
I believe it is a direct thermal path to the fets for additional cooling if needed.
Ref page:
Single Ubox 100V 100A motor controller based on VESC

singleubox100vscrewholewarning_1024x1024.jpg

Back