Suggestions for adding integrated lights to a BBSHD bike?

Longwing

1 mW
My bike runs a Lunacycle BBSHD conversion kit. Their BBSHD controller doesn't have the integrated 6V light output. According to them, that's only available on older controllers, and the older controllers didn't have the gear-shift detector.

However, a quick search of Ali-Express proves that's not true. Here's an example of a controller with both the light feed and the gear sensor: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-Free-shipping-48v30A-controller-for-bafang-bbs03-bbshd-middrive-motor/32824732769.html

I could get a new controller, but they all appear to run around $160. My best alternative would be to get a voltage converter and tap directly into my battery. I'd rather route this through the BBSHD controller, but maybe that's my best option? I suppose I can recoup the bulk of the cost by reselling my current controller, since there's nothing actually wrong with it?

Has anyone else here tackled this particular problem? I'd love to hear your advice. Are there pitfalls to purchasing a new controller that I'm not aware of?

Longwing said:
My bike runs a Lunacycle BBSHD conversion kit. Their BBSHD controller doesn't have the integrated 6V light output. According to them, that's only available on older controllers, and the older controllers didn't have the gear-shift detector.

However, a quick search of Ali-Express proves that's not true. Here's an example of a controller with both the light feed and the gear sensor: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-Free-shipping-48v30A-controller-for-bafang-bbs03-bbshd-middrive-motor/32824732769.html

I'm guessing they mean there isn't a BAFANG controller that has both. They probably don't keep track of every aftermarket option available.

I would just find and light that works in something like the 8V-80V range and run it directly off of the pack voltage (with a fuse if you like). Then there is no external converter needed.

It was a POS add on. Get a proper light. Roxim or similar. Who wants a flimsy ass JST connector waiting for problems. Bafang makes unannounced changes with some regularity. You can’t make a call based on what you find on Aliexpress/Alibaba.

BTW there is no such critter as a Luna BBSHD.Nothing more than a label. Just like the BS from eRad.
A BBSHD is a BBSHD. Period.

E-HP said:
I'm guessing they mean there isn't a BAFANG controller that has both. They probably don't keep track of every aftermarket option available.
There were controller s with both. Two useless features IMO.

Back