Super Commuter: 6T MAC 48V/120A Kelly in a 26" rim

an 8T at 48V wont ever get fast without field weakening :) guess a bigger Kelly would not make much difference either. but i am not sure, maybe we should try. next bike will definitely get a bigger one like the KBS48181E http://kellycontroller.com/kbs48181e110a24-48v-mini-brushless-dc-controller-p-1312.html
so i can try it on the 6T MAC and the KBS72121X on the new bike with much bigger motor. hopefully the KBS48181E does accept the old programming to 70%. BTW, testing the KBS48101X with the 6T MAC brought about the same max bat amps , but i have to recheck if they have the same programming
Sadly i do not own a 10T MAC anymore since i dont have any 74V batteries any more, too. But i can easily connect some 8s Lipo battery to my 13s to get 21s which is almost 20s

small update: two of the four motors killed their clutches within little more than half a year (4000-5000km). I recommend going more easy on phase amps. Hope that an 80A limit will do make them last at least one or two years

One Kelly died using the 70% current setting. Programmed the controllers now a so that there is virtually no battery current limit, just the phase amps limit of 80A, so battery current peaks at 80A,too. That is at round about 40kph, so it eats around 3800W peak

izeman said:
Have you yet tried the sine wave controller?
had no time to wire it up yet

Kelly dies easily? Do they have warranties?
wasnt that easy. actually i used the old firmware with boosted battery current settings they dont recommend to use anymore. maybe the one wouldn't have died with the newer firmware. Think there was a short in the motor phase wires from directly at the phase connectors near the controller. Normally you can short motor phase wires of a kelly all day, and it wont die from that (unlike Infineons that die instantly). Or just got a bad one

howeverm, they shipped a free replacement controller. Just had to pay customs again :oops:

almost laughable thread

29ER and 8T MAC with 14S 25R o 30Q pack is good for >55kmhr most of the ride and provides awesome accelleration and clutch lasted ~25,000km.

Double down into dual drive 8T and you have porsche turbo performance to 60kmh which is really all you want to be doing on a repurposed pushbike anyway

K

KarlJ said:
almost laughable thread

29ER and 8T MAC with 14S 25R o 30Q pack is good for >55kmhr most of the ride and provides awesome accelleration and clutch lasted ~25,000km.

Double down into dual drive 8T and you have porsche turbo performance to 60kmh which is really all you want to be doing on a repurposed pushbike anyway

K

yeah, the acceleration from zero to lets say 40-50kmh of a 2WD MAC setup is truly insane.
I also have ridden such bike (8T with 1500W into each Motor), and man that thing went forward :twisted:
It was as good or even better than another bike with cromotor with about 3-times!!! the input power.

clutch lasted ~25,000km.
lucky you... :) of 4 bikes i built, just one had the clutch failure. the other one with clutch problems had worn clutch/planetary bearings. all were dialed down to 80A and still do insane acceleration.

i would not want the mass of a MAC in my front wheel. better add a BBSHD for better hill climb performance. Thats what i am doing ATM. BBSHD is on the bike, but the MAC needs some care before i put it back in. It has 10000km on the clock now an get some new grease for the gears and some new ball bearings for the blue planetary gears...these wear out quite quickly...at least the Stock one. The NSK bearings i put in after around 4000km now lastet quite well. Something everyone with a MAC V2 or V3 should consider. Dont know if this is better now with the newer MAC V4 (which sucks - at least i heard that from a friend ): The Frame was swapped for a more rigid 1998 Rotwild Freeride frame...the rest of the setup is still the same besides of the new mudguards (muhuggers) i added yesterday. the old ones where nice too, but the look was a bit too conservative for my taste

the color TFT LCD of the BBSHD sucks. barely readable in the sun. CA V3 is back...does not work perfectly but al least it does what it should. The BBSHD LCD just sucks.
[Edit: it does not. i found the display brigthness setting, when dialing it up this color display is ok, i still use it 02/2019]

Attachments

• photo_2017-03-23_11-01-55.jpg
    photo_2017-03-23_11-01-55.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,648
next step will be to add a rack and dual 14s7p battery cases. One on each side. I will use Samsung 35e cells, 182 cells total which should add up to 1800 real world watt hours i hope.

more pics of the cases here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85501&p=1250256#p1250256

Attachments

• 2017-03-23 11_07_21-battery box Picture - More Detailed Picture about 18650 lithium battery bo...jpg
    2017-03-23 11_07_21-battery box Picture - More Detailed Picture about 18650 lithium battery bo...jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,648
and new headlights: HIGHSIDER Satellite. it's tiny (~60mm in dia) really nice illlumination at only 8W power consumption. It has E4 and DOT approval as low beam for motorcycles. I got it for €75 in winters sale here: https://www.louis.de/artikel/highsider-led-abblendscheinwerfer/10034290?partner=onmacon-pla

Attachments

• P1011087.JPG
    P1011087.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,657
  • P1011088.JPG
    P1011088.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,657
the old centurion (2008) frame is back! got a new swing arm from centurion for free :thumb: a year ago and combined it with the BBSHD. The MAC is still laying around, collecting dust for some reason. i am actually using my (russian naturals gas powered) car in the past few mounths to get to work (~25km) but outside temperatures are getting plus 0°C in the morning so its time to switch back to electric propulsion.

sorry for no pic of the old frame with the BBSHD :oops:

BTW the low beam headlight is so nice, i bought more of these. Also have the high beam now which is awesome but still it is not cheap, it did cost me another 75€ :? they have a new low beam that is even more expensive, the Comet Low (12W which is +4W). didnt try it but i want, it just has to get cheaper since 120 bucks is too much for a headlight,which may have better close field lumination. It still needs a constant current source which sux indeed. another box on the bike is nothing no one needs even if it is small :roll: Still there are headlights for 1000€+ now here in Germany :lol: u gonna believe me? https://www.bike-components.de/en/Lupine/Alpha-LED-Helmet-Light-p68113/

anyway I fell over these 100V capable little buck converters

didnt try them yet but at least i want to try now the 20s battery stuff since i finaly have a small converter that does 100V and can supply an 8 or 12Watt headlight with 12V. Here is what i bought https://www.ebay.de/itm/DC-24V-36V-48V-72V-84V-120V-to-12V-3A-Step-Down-Netzteil-Buck-Converter/382716216634?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

crossbreak said:
anyway I fell over these 100V capable little buck converters 100V
nice find :thumb:
thanks for sharing

Back