Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Aebrennan said:
I much prefer the bike with a larger front wheel, and better suspension.
In Australia most people are using the bikes for trail riding or enduro style riding, and come from a dirt bike background as opposed to e-bikes.
I have started having front wheels built for stock as most are interetsed in the upgrade. We are using WTB Scraper i40 26" rims, Hope Pro4 hubs and 12G spokes, Duro Wildlife 3" tyres. The wheel alone sheds 1kg from the front end.

I agree with Aebrennan that a larger front is the way to go.
I ride single track on conventional bikes and I always set them up with 18 x 4.0 trials tire on the rear and 80/100 x 21 on the front.
I'm in N.Cali and so trails are generally hard to intermediate and occasionally rocky.

I have a Shinko 241 on the way and am looking for some opinions on front wheel builds / tire choices.
What is the largest tire (diameter and width) folks have been able to stuff under the RST fork ?
I'm assuming 27.5 wont fit in an RST so what are folks thinking in tires from 26x3 down to 26x 2.5

Duro
Surly Knard and Dirt Wizard.
Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.6" Apex
The Maxxim DHF
Other ?

Thanks much for your input.

I'm new here and first of all would like to thank everyone for their ideas and experience shared on the Sur Ron subject. Going through the board, all 2000 post, I got answers to lots of questions and that helped me to finally put the trigger and place the order. In parallel I've also ordered raised handlebars since I'm a bit over 6.1 tall.

While waiting for the bike I'm thinking on the possible options to carry it on my 4 door Jeep Wrangler. Intuitively a hitch mounted platform seems to be the best option but for a number of reasons this is not suitable for me

- interference with tail lights and license plate
- blocks the tailgate and hatch window from opening, even the ones having the tilt function.

So the questions is, is it totally stupid to try to place the bike on a roof mounted carrier, like Yakima highroad (prior removing the battery)? Or that's a total bullshit? How do you carry your Sur Rons?

yakima-highroad-bicycle-roof-rack-tray-11-1.jpg

The sur ron itself is not a large bike. Since it comes with bike forks that have quick release, after removing the battery and front wheel you could put it in the trunk while probably keeping your car with 3 passengers.

I would never even consider to put such a heavy load up on the roof. Remember that the weight is not even centered at the roof when you lift the sur ron on top. But a good feet above that. Will make your car suffer for sure. And would be hard to find an over the counter system that could handle that much weight safely.

There are hitch systems with added lights, you just make a lighter output in the rear of your car and can plug it in when you hitch on the carrier. Load/unload the vehicle before attaching the bike and the hitch. Problem solved and you dont loose any luggage space inside your car.

Tommm said:
The sur ron itself is not a large bike. Since it comes with bike forks that have quick release, after removing the battery and front wheel you could put it in the trunk while probably keeping your car with 3 passengers.

There's no quick release on the front fork....

I wouldn't want to lift it over my head to put it on a roof rack. Even without the battery, it is ~85 lbs. It's pretty heavy! Or maybe I need to hit the gym more...

n2mb said:
Tommm said:

I wouldn't want to lift it over my head to put it on a roof rack. Even without the battery, it is ~85 lbs. It's pretty heavy! Or maybe I need to hit the gym more...

You might need to carry the axle tool to take the front wheel out then. Even if it would fit in with the wheel on (probably would) it makes the operation a lot harder as the wheel will catch onto the floor making pushing it in impossible, and would mud the back of the seats. Make sure you put a rug over the bumper into the trunk or you will probably scratch it. Other than that, it is straightforward and my preferred way.

avolkoff said:
I'm new here and first of all would like to thank everyone for their ideas and experience shared on the Sur Ron subject. Going through the board, all 2000 post, I got answers to lots of questions and that helped me to finally put the trigger and place the order. In parallel I've also ordered raised handlebars since I'm a bit over 6.1 tall.

While waiting for the bike I'm thinking on the possible options to carry it on my 4 door Jeep Wrangler. Intuitively a hitch mounted platform seems to be the best option but for a number of reasons this is not suitable for me

- interference with tail lights and license plate
- blocks the tailgate and hatch window from opening, even the ones having the tilt function.

So the questions is, is it totally stupid to try to place the bike on a roof mounted carrier, like Yakima highroad (prior removing the battery)? Or that's a total bullshit? How do you carry your Sur Rons?

yakima-highroad-bicycle-roof-rack-tray-11-1.jpg

I know you said you didn't want a hitch hauler, but this thing will come off just by removing the hitch pin, and you can access the back of your jeep, spare tire and everything. Doesn't take more than a minute. I would not put the bike on your roof. Its still 80 pounds with the battery removed.

Tommm said:
n2mb said:
Tommm said:

You might need to carry the axle tool to take the front wheel out then. Even if it would fit in with the wheel on (probably would) it makes the operation a lot harder as the wheel will catch onto the floor making pushing it in impossible, and would mud the back of the seats. Make sure you put a rug over the bumper into the trunk or you will probably scratch it. Other than that, it is straightforward and my preferred way.

Not the RST Killa front forks. It's proper motorbike. Left and right hand bolts through axle, 2 spacers to position. Not something you would do on a whim.

Get a Thule bike rack holds 45kg, easy to get it on and off, mounts to a towbar.

Rix said:
I know you said you didn't want a hitch hauler, but this thing will come off just by removing the hitch pin, and you can access the back of your jeep, spare tire and everything. Doesn't take more than a minute. I would not put the bike on your roof. Its still 80 pounds with the battery removed.

Rix, yours looks very similar to the one I just got (haven't built it yet)!

https://amzn.to/2PvUrYj

All the similar name brand racks cost like $600-$700. This one is only $85 and has pretty solid ratings. Based on the reviews, I think it would probably be 5-stars if it was easier to install or even if it came with better instructions...

I have a Subaru Outback that has a roof rack, but I wouldn't think about putting it up there either. :wink:

3DTOPO said:
Rix said:

All the similar name brand racks cost like $600-$700. This one is only $85 and has pretty solid ratings. Based on the reviews, I think it would probably be 5-stars if it was easier to install or even if it came with better instructions...

I have a Subaru Outback that has a roof rack, but I wouldn't think about putting it up there either. :wink:

I actually wound up buying that one and I wound up returning it. It was well built and super strong. I wound up returning it because it weighed a friggin ton....
wound up going with this one..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7GHIGA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used it for my ebike and crf250x. Super stable and a boatload lighter than the all steel... Cast iron...lead filled....Brick Lined...version.

1abv said:
3DTOPO said:
Rix said:

I actually wound up buying that one and I wound up returning it. It was well built and super strong. I wound up returning it because it weighed a friggin ton....
wound up going with this one..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7GHIGA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used it for my ebike and crf250x. Super stable and a boatload lighter than the all steel... Cast iron...lead filled....Brick Lined...version.

Funny! :lol:

Hmm - Amazon lists the steel one at 50 pounds and your aluminum at 38 pounds. So, guess it depends on the budget, but I think I can live with an extra 12 pounds. Now if it were a fat bike - I would definitely go for the lighter one if it was only $56 bucks more!! ;)

3DTOPO said:
Rix said:

I actually have that one too :D , but its a lot heavier than the AMC400 aluminum I have in the pic. I think its closer to 75 pounds than 50.

The sur-ron looks like a fun bike, but is it an "american" adult size?

Could taller persons ride the Sur-ron?

Are there any pictures of someone over 6'-3" riding or sitting on one?

Does anyone know where I can order the new X version to Canada ? Has anyone had any luck order direct off of tao bao or a china direct equivalent ?

n2mb said:
Rix said:
johnrobholmes said:
I put the 58t rear sprocket on my bike with the stock rear wheel. Same story other people have, it has great low end but feels gutless past 15mph since there isn't enough load now. The 17" wheel with the 48t was perfect. I think between 55 and 52t would be a much better spot for the stock system.

Or I could get an ASI controller and just field weaken it back into peppyness :twisted:

That's what I like most about the 55T, it launches off the line almost like the 58T, but acts like a 52T with more oomph everywhere else. I think if Motomoto was to only cut one size sprocket, a 54T or 55T would be the one size that does it all.

Is that with the stock or x controller?

Thoughts on how that might translate to the supermoto wheel set? Maybe a 48T?

STock controller. The supermoto wheelset with a 48t was perfect . No real loss in top speed but certainly was a 12% boost to torque through the whole throttle range.

Nice! Does anyone have a 48t (stock) chain ring and chain they'd like to sell?

Rix said:
I actually have that one too :D , but its a lot heavier than the AMC400 aluminum I have in the pic. I think its closer to 75 pounds than 50.

Just checked - mine is 50 pounds. Maybe they made it with less lead? :D

n2mb said:
Nice! Does anyone have a 48t (stock) chain ring and chain they'd like to sell?

I will sell you my 48T for 20 bucks plus shipping. Don't have the chain any more though. PM if interested.

elementary said:

I'm only 6'-0" but this should give you an idea. The bike is small compared to a full sized motorcycle but I don't find it uncomfortable (except for the padding in the seat).

fechter said:
elementary said:

I'm only 6'-0" but this should give you an idea. The bike is small compared to a full sized motorcycle but I don't find it uncomfortable (except for the padding in the seat).

Img_0865A.jpg

Hard to tell by the photo, but is that freaking elephant big marihuana plant behind you? 420 lifestyle?

Back