Surly Rolling Darryl 64-spoke + HS3540

anthonyrc

1 µW
Ok, so this is probably one of those n00b questions, but after several hours of googling I need to ask the experts.

So I am building my first e-bike, a Salsa Mukluk, with a Crystalyte HS3540 hub motor.

The bike came with Surly Rolling Darryl rims, in the 64-spoke configuration.

So.. the question.. how does one go about lacing a 36-spoke HS3540 into a 64-spoke rim?... or maybe one doesn't (which I fear might be the case).

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Maybe this is my ignorance, but What I've seen is that most people are using only half of the spokes on the rim, all on one side to get a large enough offset in the rear.

Is this what you're referring to?

Interesting. I am afraid you may end up drilling a 32 or 64 holes pattern in the hubmotor flange. Actually, it may not be that bad. Disclaimer: I have never done this before...

Basicly, you can't. 72 holes to 36 would have been fine. 64 to 36, there is no good pattern that allows even weight distribution. You could make something with a funky Asymetrical lace pattern and a bunch of varing sized spokes, but it would never be a strong wheel. And drilling the motor won't work because any pattern to put in new holes would hit the old holes.

You need a 36 hole wheel, Universalcycle sells a 36 hole version without the cut outs ( http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=38387&category=855 ), Or you could try ( http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/611/Rim-Only-26-x-3-Black/ ) for an 80mm 36 hole rim. Thats where I got mine. They are heavy but stout, just what a powered wheel needs.

And this sounds like an awesome build. Fatbikes make great Ebikes. Feel free to post pics or start a build thread, We'd love to see it.

Drunkskunk said:
And drilling the motor won't work because any pattern to put in new holes would hit the old holes.

Good one, didn't measure it. Never done it, so can't say it would actually work. Even if the first hole would be the same, the second hole of the 18hole pattern would be within mm of the second hole of the 16hole pattern. Sorry.

If you are from europe those mentioned choppersus rims can be found cheaply www.robsson.de
I am sourcing ebike stuff to electrify my pugsley.

Ahh I didn't realize the spoke count issue there... Check out the ebikes.ca 144 hole hub design for reference.

Many thanks for the advice guys, anyone in Europe needing a 64-spoke Rolling Darryl rim (with cutouts?), new in box, looks like I'm not going to be needing it :-(

Back