SURRON LB: RESEARCH & DEVELOPEMENT

Jonathan1981 said:
I've been putting a bit of time in the new frame design. It's going good. Still working through the CAD but currently setup to fit 15.5" tall battery, all other dims remaining same as stock so it will fit most aftermarket surron batteries out there. I'm using the 72V gladiator Chibatt as a reference. And no, you're not going to be able to fit anything larger comfortably lol. at 15.5" tall, and some finessing, I can just barely get it to "fit" and not look like a hack job.

So I've attached an image of the QS138 70H V3 72V, is this a good motor choice? You guys let me know, again, I'm not the best with the electrical end of things.

Also, what would be the best controller option to go with, BAC 8K, Sintech 25kw, Nuk 24F ??? seems like most places are sold out tho. Litespeed had the BAC8K kit but no way to order anymore. Fill me in on what the best options are at this point.

Cheers!

Just an FYI to everyone, I actually did a crude CAD model of this motor and tried to get it to fit in my frame design but the tabs just make it too difficult to work with, unless some post weld work was to be done, or a new custom case entirely, I'm going to abandon this motor and just stick with the Surron motor/jackshaft setup for now. I know it's not ideal but for first proto, it will do. The good news is the new plug and play KO motor will fit ! :)

I've seen some folks take their motors apart to upgrade wires or spray the laminations to stop rust on youtube. But anyone ever 'pot' the windings? Should be able to add a thermal potting compound to help the windings get heat out to the housing. Likely make the thermistor read faster and more accurately too.

I'm thinking about it and have a small venturi vacuum setup that could help get the air bubbles out. I ordered a spare SurRon motor to upgrade the kiddo's X160 in case we toast the orig smaller motor. Thinking about things I could do to it before install.

smdub said:
I've seen some folks take their motors apart to upgrade wires or spray the laminations to stop rust on youtube. But anyone ever 'pot' the windings?

Yes, Justin did in the "cooling of hubmotor" (or something similar) thread I think.
Not a surron but might be interesting anyway :wink:

Hey guys. Custom battery builder here based in the UK. I'm currently designing an affordable 72v battery upgrade for the Sur-Ron.

What are the absolute maximum length x width dimensions that will fit into the Sur-Ron frame? I'm currently looking at 162mm x 153mm - will this fit inside?

Many thanks

Back