TailG trike mod

Hey all. Started messing with a 2020 tailg leopard. Got a new controller and jumped it from 60v to 72v, initially swapped out the 500watt motor for an 800, and now I'm getting creative with it,... I decided to winterize the bike by turning it into a trike. Got hold of a 1000watt motor mini quad and started mounting the back end of it on the tailg. Obviously I'm going to chop the original swing arm about a foot shorter. My main concern now is how do I wire in a 2 wire motor, to a 3 wire controller?? any suggestions? on another note, the quad had a big, chunky mechanical switch, that acted as an electrical transmission and gave the machine a reverse gear. I'm thinking I might try to integrate that too.IMG_20240109_220233940_HDR.jpg

My main concern now is how do I wire in a 2 wire motor, to a 3 wire controller??

By replacing the brushless controller with a brushed controller, or replacing the brushed motor with a brushless one. ;)

They're not compatible with each other, so you can't wire up the one to the other. :/

any suggestions? on another note, the quad had a big, chunky mechanical switch, that acted as an electrical transmission and gave the machine a reverse gear. I'm thinking I might try to integrate that too.
To use that, you have to keep the brushed motor and use a brushed controller. It won't work with a brushless motor, as it goes between the controller and the motor to swap the two motor wires to give you reverse, by literally putting power to the motor backwards.

It also needs to be able to handle the full current of the system, so if you're upping the current to the motor, you may exceed the switch's capability and damage it.

Also...don't use the switch except when no current is flowing to or from the motor, or it will arc inside the switch and can damage or destroy it (or just weld it shut), if it isn't rated for the voltages involved (which can be higher than your battery voltage because of the motor's coils' inductance).

Thankyou for the advice amberwolf. I was thinking there should be some kind of bridging system that would work for the 3 wire to 2 wire,... I can understand your point of view, using the proper tools and parts to match the intended purpose of the system, and that's completely respectable. We're not talking brushed or brushless though, these are both brushless motors, but one is single phase(2 wire) and the other is 2 phase(3 wire), I've worked on brushed motor bikes that were 2 phase, having 3 wires. There's actually one in the back yard right now that the 11 year old rides,... it's a 2000 model LvHua. ... I'm looking at this as a retired electrician. What I have to figure out is which of the 2 wires from the controller are going to be combined into one, and whether or not I need to wire in a diode to rectify the lead. This is just for fun. Let's have fun with it:)

Thankyou for the advice amberwolf. I was thinking there should be some kind of bridging system that would work for the 3 wire to 2 wire,... I can understand your point of view, using the proper tools and parts to match the intended purpose of the system, and that's completely respectable. We're not talking brushed or brushless though, these are both brushless motors, but one is single phase(2 wire) and the other is 2 phase(3 wire), I've worked on brushed motor bikes that were 2 phase, having 3 wires. There's actually one in the back yard right now that the 11 year old rides,... it's a 2000 model LvHua. ... I'm looking at this as a retired electrician. What I have to figure out is which of the 2 wires from the controller are going to be combined into one, and whether or not I need to wire in a diode to rectify the lead. This is just for fun. Let's have fun with it:)

Well, take pictures of the smoked parts; it should be entertaining to look at. ;)

I was trying to save you some wasted time and money, but I'll leave you to it.

Well, take pictures of the smoked parts; it should be entertaining to look at. ;)

I was trying to save you some wasted time and money, but I'll leave you to it.
Phase converter!,... I'll start sourcing the part,.. lower voltages like this it'll likely come out of a washing machine or something, rather than a construction grade electrical supply. I might have to look at some dead electric fork lifts. That'd likely have the exact thing I need. And here for a minute I was thinking I'd have to use a bridge rectifier,... good thing I'm retired isn't it? ;)

Back