The F3: "N minus one"

Im not sure I follow the gear change numbers. Shouldn't the gear change you made increase your top speed?
Thanks for documenting your builds so well. They have been a big help in my own build planning.

DanGT86 said:
Im not sure I follow the gear change numbers. Shouldn't the gear change you made increase your top speed?
Thanks for documenting your builds so well. They have been a big help in my own build planning.

You're right about the gear change numbers (this post here, right?) - alone, they would result in a massive increase in top speed. However, I also changed motors from a 6 turn 3210 (with a Kv of 225 RPM/volt) to a 5 turn 3220 (with a Kv of 135 PRM/volt). So, the sum total of the changes - a much slower turning motor and a much lower ratio of reduction - ends up almost balancing out. Almost... but I do lose a few MPH at the top end as presently geared.

As part of another project, I may swap out my secondary reduction stage from 16t -->42t (1:2.625 ratio) to 13 --> 34t (1:2.615). Essentially the same ratio.

Why? As a test to that project. I would be testing a smaller chainring than the one I'm using now, but would want to keep the rest of the bike's performance envelope relatively the same as they are now.

I just installed a thermistor on my motor - finally. I've had the thing like a year. It's about 1.5mm diameter with two tiny legs on it - I'm shocked it survived a house move and 6 months in a messy basement, only to be found with just 10 minutes search.

It's taped and zip-tied to the outside center can of the Astro 3220. It does not feel very secure - I'm open to suggestions on how to better mount it. But for now I'll be able to use the CAv3 to protect the motor against over temp (not likely, but good to have setup). But the real goal is to get the Cycle Analogger, and start doing some data diving such as motor power versus temp.

I'm often asked how much this bike weighs. Not knowing, I usually say "about 60 lbs". Well, I weighed it tonight and I'm shocked to find it weigh in at 75lbs.

Now, there's gear in the pannier (but gear I always ride with, so it might as well be part of the bike). And the helmet and gloves were in the basket when I weighed it (so - technically not part of the bike, but it's always weight being carried when the bike is in use).

Jeez - 75 lbs!.

This past Friday was a bad day. Remind me never to ride an electric bike when heavy rains are predicted.

The morning started out bad. About 1/4 mile from home (all down steep hills mind you), I hit a bump while cornering at high speed, and my chain tensioner got munched by the drive chain. That chain tensioner is supposed to face forward, not back.
IMG_1375.JPG

This sort of thing seems to happen to me a lot lately.

Well, rather than ride back home, ditch the bike, and either drive or take the bus, I decided to pedal all the way to work. It's about 7 miles from where I took the pic. I removed the chain tensioner remnant, the chain, and off I went.

On the way home, it was raining... hard. I got about a mile towards home, and decided I wanted the electric drive. Boston drivers suck all the time, but they suck the most in the rain, and during Friday evening rush hour. So, I found shelter, and made up my chain to fit the drive without the tensioner (removed 3 full links IIRC). This got me going with power assist, and I was back to having a fun commute.

Well of course, I still had some bad luck in me. I would later find that my LVC was the root cause - but the surface symptom was that my throttle was signaling "go" with zero rotation. There I was at a light, cars passing across the intersection, and I heard the high pitch whine of the motor spinning up as the bike lurched. Thank heavens for the e-bike cutoff in the right hand brake lever. That got me stopped - but only as long as I had the brake pressed. I pulled the main power lead, proceeded toward home when the light turned green, and rode a while...

Well, the last 1/4 mile to home is a giant hill. There are a few hills leading up to home, too. So I wanted power. I noticed that my "shorted throttle" was basically leaving the throttle's resting voltage at 2.2v (instead of the ~0.84v normal bottom). I figured "hey, why not map the throttle's new bottom voltage, then I can just ride home normally!" Well, this was probably a bad idea under any circumstances. But I went for it. I powered the bike back up, then I put the CAv3 in programming mode, and I made some changes... The plan failed spectacularly. First, due to beads of rain on my glasses and on the CAv3 screen, I accidentally reprogrammed the throttle OUT settings instead of throttle IN - basically telling the CAv3 to spin the motor up a hellava lot faster at minimum throttle than anyone ever should. Also, the water intrusion was getting worse, and making the throttle resting voltage continue to climb (so even if my plan worked, I would be chasing the low voltage setting repeatedly). After a couple of near rocket takeoffs, I pulled the main power lead again and I simply pedaled home.

Troubleshooting the warm comfort of the basement, I found the throttle was fine, but the LVC (that sits inline with the throttle signal) was the problem. For now, it's sitting on the shelf.

Sorry you had a rough ride - experiences like that are why I personally prefer to use hubbies on a commuter bikes, because they reduce the potential points of failure.

-JD

Man... it's just that time of year.

I've been dealing with a metric crap ton of "Murphy", if you know what I mean. :mrgreen: Let's see... in the last month: plugging a CA-DP into a Hall connector and frying the Halls, having the wrong controller show up since I asked for a rush, then finding out that Lyen sensorless controllers won't play nice with many geared hubbies, also accidentally killing one of Methods' detector board and almost draining a LiPo cell down to nothing.

Trying to help out other members: classic94 plugged the red anderson into the black anderson of the charge-side of his Ping. I sold him a 2A LiFePO4 charger and had to diagnose the BM-Mess since it wasn't charging. Good to know that my charger I sold him wasn't the issue.

And these are just the ebike woes...I could go on, but this isn't the place. I just wanted to let you know that it will subside soon. Good luck days (and hopefully, good weather days) are just ahead of us.

Thanks guys. Oatnet, I really should consider a hub motor for commuting. Perhaps even go with a front motor - no chance of wheelie with a front motor.

Here's the latest adventure. I've been riding with the chain tensioner removed. Watt hours per mile have dropped - but is that because I'm pedaling more, or because less chain friction... no way to tell.

Tonight after work I hung out with the Boston Bike Party. It was raining a nice soaking rain at the start, so there were more like 100 people this time as opposed to the 500 or so the last time. I pedaled mostly, but had the electric drive active the whole time and opened 'er up a few times for fun. But near the end I was hitting the throttle with zero response. Hmmmmm I thought. The CAv3 recognized the throttle input. "Maybe I have a loose phase wire" I figured. No bother - the Bike Party is a slow phenomenon. "I'll wait till I decide to leave, pull over and check things out" I thought.

Yeah. 10 seconds after I left the party, about to pull over to check (I swear!) I had absentmindedly cranked the seemingly dead throttle. The loose phase wire must have connected... the bike roared to life, then jetted out from under me. On my ass on the road I was, thanking the sweet heavens above for my motorcycle helmet and riding jacket. I destroyed some parts (carnage pictures coming soon) but overall the bike was OK.

In the true ES spirit, I socked that phase wire into its socket but good, mounted the bitch and rode 'er home WOT.

:p

After my incident with a shorted throttle, I decided to install an emergency cutoff on both my brakes (up to now I've only had a cutoff on the right side brake). Since my left brake is a cable brake, I went with a hidden wire brake sensor. It arrived today.

I set it up on my bench test setup (spare CAv3, spare controller, throttle and battery). It works just fine, however I decided I'd install it next to the brake handle. Orienting the switch to mate with the brake cable housing and handle, it worked opposite of how it should... e-brake on at rest, e-brake release when handle pulled. Turning the switch around makes it work just fine, but I'll have to make up some small adapters to make the interfaces fit real nice.

Thanks for the posts Matty, have the same Aline, and a STRIDA evo 3 crank geared, set up commuter booster test on it but not in a foldable spot. I got the folder as a cycle but objecting to stupid office building policy where I couldn't wheel bike into goods lift, but couriers with trolleys every 15min could. Never mind the disabled wheel chair,just as much footprint and rare as is dedicate everyday cycle commuters with no car or public transport usage.

Friction without grip tape is simple but a breath of moisture kills it, so I am looking to ideas like yours here for driving small-is 18 inch slicks.

deepfraught said:
Thanks for the posts Matty, have the same Aline, and a STRIDA evo 3 crank geared, set up commuter booster test on it but not in a foldable spot. I got the folder as a cycle but objecting to stupid office building policy where I couldn't wheel bike into goods lift, but couriers with trolleys every 15min could. Never mind the disabled wheel chair,just as much footprint and rare as is dedicate everyday cycle commuters with no car or public transport usage.
Yes I count my blessings every time I arrive at work. I'm so lucky the building management allows me to take the bike inside (there are many cyclists who bring bikes in). It's a federal building, with guards, an X-Ray machine and a turnstyle thing that reads a smart chip on your ID. Vetted people can credential in with their ID (which is then double checked by eye by the guards) and avoid the X-ray. I use the main elevator, with all the people dressed up nice for work. Again, I'm very lucky.

deepfraught said:
Friction without grip tape is simple but a breath of moisture kills it, so I am looking to ideas like yours here for driving small-is 18 inch slicks.

The RC drive is excellent. Running it with a 3220 is overkill - and the 3210 I had driving it originally even got me up to 37mph. You could probably get away with a 3205, or one of the cheap chinese motors. Chain line is critical to good reliability.

So I thought I had a loose phase wire. I mean yeah - 2 of 3 are über tight and the third will slide its bullet connector out quite easily (note to self: fix that!). But facts have come to light indicating otherwise...

I posted this in the Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release thread:

MattyCiii said:
A cautionary tale:

I've had an intermittent problem where one day the bike works fine, the next... Intermittent power drops. This can be quite scary because I would get very powerful bursts of power - a jerky and dangerous ride.

I'll give the bottom line up front: The magnet for my speedometer was just a little too far away from the pickup to give a clear signal. It would somehow induce ridiculous speeds - like 675mph, bouncing to 322mph, to whatever. And since these are all above the 99mph default speed limit, my throttle would cut out. As a fix I installed a higher quality magnet - the one I had kept rotating around the spoke. Testing to begin tomorrow.

The long story:
At first I thought I had a loose phase wire. The CAv3 showed consistent throttle input and output through the diagnostic screen - so this was at least consistent. Then as I slowly ruled that out, I thought maybe the interface between the CA shunt and the RC controller was loose. I mean, it really does feel loose. It bothered me that at a standstill, I could not replicate the problem (even while wiggling the signal and phase wires, to mimic vibrations from riding). But who would
But after some careful riding and observation, I saw the speedo bounce around in lock-step with the problem.

So... A problem all my fault, and in the grand scheme, the CA is working exactly as designed... but the 99mph cutoff combined with crazy ridiculous phantom speeds made for a scary ride.

The next morning I rode, and my new speedo magnet seemed steady and true. But at one point riding WOT, there was a fraction of a second power loss. Sure enough, the CAv3 showed a "max speed = 645mph", and I definitely reset the trip statistics at the start of the ride. The ghost is still in the machine.

Now, my latest toy is a Grin Tech "analogger", which recorded data for that ride. Here's a graph of speed (in blue) and "Acc" (in red), which I learned is acceleration and is derived from speed... so yeah, its a graph of basically just speed. You see below that I'm mostly keeping the speed under 30mph, but occasionally hit the hyperspace button.
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-06-28%2520at%25203.14.28%2520PM.jpg

So on the way home from work I disconnected the speedometer pickup entirely. Snip snip, I have scissors at work. Heheeeee, no, actually I splice in a 2-wire JST connector on my CA's just to make them more modular, so all I needed to do was unplug the JST. And you know what? My max speed for the ride home was exactly zero.

So, I have a problem (still) in my magnetic pickup.

Or do I?
Right after I soaked my bike in the pouring rain I swapped out my CAv3 with another one. I think the one I was using had Prelim3 firmware, and I swapped in one using Prelim5. So I had a different physical device with possibly a different firmware, and a couple days later the bike went all nuts on me.

I'm about to swap those CA's back - because the one I was using before the rain soaking and the bronco bucking is now wired up to support the second e-brake cutoff. I will watch closely to see if I have any speed transients. But it's probably worth keeping the suspect CAv3 on the bike for at least a few rides to test - see if upgraded firmware (Prelim6) purges out the trouble. Now that I know how easy it is to field-fix this problem I have no concerns about pulling a Marie Curie and/or being my own test pilot.

I still have an occasional jump in speed, I've narrowed the source down to the speedometer pickup. I'll swap that thing out one of these days, but for now the problem is manageable. On to bigger and better!

I've always wanted a kickstand on this bike. I actually had one installed for awhile, but it was just a little too crappy to keep on the bike. But I'm ready to take a chance again...
This time I'll be using a Pletscher double kickstand. I've used this model before with great results. The only thing keeping me from using one now is that the chain stays are so high off the ground... the stand legs are simply not long enough.

Enter the "spacer" - that light grey thingy you see to the left of my crank. It's a heavy duty, waterproof Hammond enclosure. It should be strong enough to mount the kickstand to, and should also mount to the bike well. It'll give me plenty extra height (about 3") to make the kickstand work well.
DSCF4264.JPG

A closeup. There's not much clearance between things - but there's enough.
DSCF4265.JPG

Another closeup - minus the kickstand.
DSCF4266.JPG

The enclosure, with the cover off:
DSCF4268.JPG

Here's the surface it'll mount to - it's a pretty flat, even surface:
DSCF4268.JPG

And the most important thing... There's room inside for a hidden cellular connected GPS tracker. About 2 weeks worth of Lipo will fit in there with it, as long as I manage the power well. If the bike is ever stolen, I will be able to find it and get it back.
DSCF4271.JPG

doc007 said:
very cool idea for the gps tracker. does it require a prepaid SIM? Have you tested it out yet?
The tracker is called a Geogram One from DSS Circuits. I use a SIM from Telna, inc.

The sim costs $20 a year, has unlimited incoming SMS messages and 1000 SMS per month included in that cost. That to me is essentially unlimited.

The tracker can be put into a deep sleep (extend battery life). In deep sleep, the GPS and cellular radio are off. That's the trade-off. Tracker features include lots of great things: motion sensor and LiPo state-of-charge awareness. Here's how I plan to use it:
Normal operations: Set the device to do nothing but sleep all day, waking for a minute every 2, 4 or 6 hours to check in to the cellular network. Any pending SMS messages will be received by the device. Go back to sleep, repeat. This maximizes battery life. It can run a fortnight like this without recharge, so if I charge it once a week, I always have at least 7 days of life if it's stolen. If I get lazy with the recharges, it will send me a "low battery" warning the first time it wakes and sees less than 30% charge. Oh, and I might be able to fit in twice as much battery and have 1 month of battery life (awaiting first set of batteries to see).
Bike is stolen: With the device asleep, all I can do is send it some commands via SMS and wait for it to wake/check-in. Once awake I can send it commands to have it tell me it's location right away. But if the bike is in a basement, I'll get 00-00 x 000-00 as a location. If that happens, I can put it back into deep sleep mode, but with a motion sense override. It'll thus send me a new position within a minute of being moved (has to get a GPS fix). At that point it's a judgment call what to do. If the position is still 00 x 00, I'll have to decide whether to put it back to sleep and wake on motion, or have it just plain sleep, to balance between finite battery life and getting a position.

Pro's and con's:
Pro's: On the plus side, it's got a lot of features and is very small. The GPS and cellular signals pass through the aluminum emclosure well enough to work when above ground. It's open source and programmable - I should be able to add features such as a microphone such that I call the device and listen in on the bike thief before or as the cops come knocking on their door.
Con's: On the con side, deep sleep still draws a lot of power because the microcontroller is counting seconds for the sleep timer. There's chatter in the Geogram One forum to work in a deeper sleep mode. Sleep/wake timing becomes less precise, but life in deep sleep mode becomes so much longer. Also, the GPS antenna is right on its chip - no chance for an external GPS to improve likelihood of a basement position fix. The cell module has an external antenna.

I love this little bike. It does everything. It's better than my A-Line in that it can carry stuff - lots of stuff. One way it carries stuff is so well is I have a mount point at the center of the handlebars where I can attach my back pack (somehow I don't have pix of this - I'll take some next chance I get). It's a pretty great setup - but it limits what I can do for road illumination lights. Last year I mounted a pair of magicshine lamps at the ends of the handlebars, which had some pros and cons:
Pros:
* The lights were not blocked by the back pack
* The lights were spaced very wide - oncoming cars could have a sense of depth, rather than a blinky point in space.
* Separated lights helps better illuminate the road.
Cons:
* I don't have a lot of room on the handlebars. It was hard to keep the lamps in place
* The damn wire! I hate having the wire run past my hand on the grips.

So, I devised a solution. It comes in two parts: First, I mount the lights at the very end of the handlebars using a scheme similar to how bar end shifters are mounted. There's a plug that expands when a center bolt is tightened. This gives a secure mount to the light. Second, I run power to the ends of the handlebars under the throttle and handgrip using copper tape.

Here are the pix:
I have one light installed already on the left. I'm hoping to cook up something better for the right side, then upgrade the left. It works well for now, but I think I can do better. Pictured: the magicshine lantern, a short power cord (with JST connector), held in place via the quick release you see. The quick release compresses a rubber plug that expands in the handlebar. The glossy bit you see outboard of the grip is some epoxy covering where I have the wire soldered to copper tape.
DSCF4331.JPG

Here it is pulled out a bit. These things come off easy, in a few seconds. Just release the quick connect, and unplug the JST
DSCF4332.JPG

Here's the entire arrangement fully detached, ready to stow in the bag.
DSCF4333.JPG

So, how exactly does it get power? I'll show pix of the right side being installed. Here's the "before" pic. Power will run beneath the grip, the throttle, the brake mount and the ringy-ding-ding bell.
DSCF4301.JPG

Step one: Take everything off:
DahonJetstream

Next, wipe down the handlebars with a good cleaner - I used acetone - to make a good surface for tape to stick. Next, lay down a strip of Kapton tape. It's an electric insulator. The copper tape will conduct through its adhesive, and the paint on the handlebar is not going to work as an insulator - so first I lay a base of kapton tape. Make sure the base layer of tape is longer and wider than the two runs of copper tape. The tape I have is about 20mm wide. Good enough.
DSCF4304.JPG

Try to lay it straight, and try to work out all folds and bubbles. I ran the wire past a small bend, it's hard to have perfectly flat tape with the bends
DSCF4305.JPG

For the right side, I'm going to try to have less wire at the end, and no connector. I hope to interface the light module to the power source by having two copper pads on the expanding plug. All I need to do then is line up the pads with copper traces that are on the inside of the tube, and expand the plug. This is the improvement I referred to earlier.

To do so, I'll need to have my copper tape run along the outside of the handlebar, over the lip on the end, and a short ways into the tube. The base layer of kapton goes into the bar end about an inch:
DSCF4306.JPG

Here is a pic after I installed the copper tape. The copper tape is about 6mm wide. As I placed it, I made certain there was a gap between the two copper lines, and that the copper tape didn't stray past the outer edge of the kapton.
DSCF4307.JPG

Very hard to see here, but I had the copper tape wrap around the lip at the end of the steer tube and into the tube about 3/4"
DSCF4308.JPG

With the copper tape in place, time for the all important continuity tests. Be sure to test continuity between each strip and some bare metal on the handlebar as well as continuity between the strips (we want no continuity of course).
DSCF4311.JPG

Here are the wires near the handlebar post. Look carefully and you can see the base layer, the copper strips, then the top layer.
DSCF4312.JPG

As thin as these three layers are, they do add enough to the handlebar diameter that putting things back on can be tricky. I don't want to scratch the delicate kapton and end up with a short. So, here you see me take the binding ring out of the throttle.
DSCF4314.JPG

I pried the ring/clamp open a bit and stuck an allen wrench in the gap to keep it open just a little. Enough so the ring/clamp slid on the handlebar without scraping the kapton.
DSCF4315.JPG

The next two shots show how the throttle just slides back together once the ring/clamp is in place. The clamp bolt holds it all together.
DSCF4316.JPG

DSCF4317.JPG

I used a similar trick to get the hand grip into place. I have the hand grip hang over the bar end by a couple millimeters to protect the copper and kapton if I fall.
DSCF4318.JPG

The brake and the ring-ding-ding bell both have more tolerance for a wider radius. So, I spiraled some electrical tape over the wires to give it more protection (and stealth)
DSCF4321.JPG

Here's a blurry pic of the handlebar with all the original parts in place. You can hardly tell the difference between this and the "before" picture.
DSCF4322.JPG

Next, I prepared the wire. I just use the original connector from the magic shine. See I've cut it to length here.
DSCF4325.JPG

Hard to see in this light, but here I'm prepping the inner end of the copper tape run to solder to the magicshine wire. One of the copper pads is tinned up, the other will be soon...
DSCF4326.JPG

Wiring done. That was easy. All this e-bike work is teaching me how to solder.
DSCF4328.JPG

Finally, I looped the wire fully around the handlebar (for strain relief) then wrapped a couple coats of electrical tape around the wire and solder pads to make it weather and damage resistant. I already own a nice "Y" connector for these magicshine wires. And the battery that runs the lights fits nice and snug in the side pouch of my center mounted back pack (I just use a 4s LiPo hard case battery).

Hopefully I can get the right side light finished and working as planned (physical mount that doubles as electrical interface). That'll be a few days, but it's nice to now have the wiring installed.

Awesome work on the lighting! Thanks for sharing this "brilliance" :wink:

Did some maintenance today. Here's what I did, with some lessons learned:

1. Replaced my chains. I knew the chains were getting stretched, but put off maintenance and today I had to pay the piper.
1-A. The electric drive chain was starting to damage the drive chainring (on the rear wheel) teeth. I didn't have another 39 tooth, so I installed a 38 I had laying around (the smallest 130mm BCD chainring one can get). Luckily the size difference was compatible with my ability to tension/adjust.
1-B. The human side chain - hell I don't pedal much, do I? - was getting stretched too. I swapped out the chain, and later when I test-rode, the chain was skipping the rear cog like crazy. The Internet told me I probably damaged the cog, so removed the rear wheel again and replaced the cog. It still skips (much less) which is likely damage to the front chainring. I have 2 new ones on order and a couple sets of new chain. Lesson learned - check chain stretch often, replace when you have the slightest doubt.

2. Replaced my rear brake pads, since the wheel was off. The pads I had still had some life in them, but heading into fall and winter, I don't want to be replacing pads by the road in the dark and cold. Better to swap these things out prematurely and be done with it.

3. While I was at it, I swapped out my front pads (since one has been damaged awhile now - but worked fine. That said I don't want to press my luck any longer). I also swapped out my front brake cable, which had a kink in it.

It took far longer than it should - because the whole figuring out why the chain is skipping/now go find and replace the rear cog thing. Sadly, till that new chainring comes in I have to avoid mashing the gears on the human side (or the chain will skip). OK, fine... I'll just use the electric drive more!!

Totally my fault - I nearly wrecked last Thursday night. Ended up having pedal only power to get the bike home about 10 miles. This, my mainstay ride, is now off the road until I have time to inspect and overhaul the entire drive system.

Thursday night I left work and went south (home is north) to a community meeting on street design improvements. We bikers need to turn out least bike lanes turn into free storage for unused cars. So since I would be in an unfamiliar neighborhood, inside and out of sight from the bike, did up my "high security" protocol: Tigr lock bike frame to solid rack, activate hidden GPS tracker, and use dinky little cable fed through the rear rack to the main lock to ensure the seat isn't stolen.

That last part - the cable lock - was the seed of my near disaster. In the pic, see the pannier rack at the top of the rear wheel. This is where one end of the cable lock was looped. I remember saying to myself: "If I forget that it'll be trouble, the cable will get wrapped into the wheel"
motor%2520above%2520bb.jpg

Oh that little voice that tells me "don't F* this up". Why don't I listen to you?

So right on cue, I left the meeting, unlocked the bike, and started riding home. And of course I forgot to remove the cable lock, now attached in a loop to that pannier rack and dangling into my wheel. Glad I was not going too fast when that cable got sucked into the right side of my drive train! I was on a slight decline moving at about 20mph. The road was pretty quiet, few cars moving either way. The weather was mild - 45-50*f, and there was a fine mist of precipitation in the air and on the road. Suddenly the cable wrapped in my wheel and the rear locked up. The bike started swerving, but I was nimble enough to counter steer the bike straight and come to a stop without losing control. Heart racing, I first dragged (== attempted to roll, unsuccessfully) the bike, then lifted/carried it to the curb. When I placed the bike down, the rear rack snapped completely off!

So at this point, I'm on the edge of a rough part of town and unfamiliar with the streets at that. I now have at least 15 lbs of awkward crap dragging behind my frozen rear wheel by a cable. WTF. The cable had wrapped more than 360 degrees around the rear NuVinci transmission, between the hub itself and the drive cog. It was a ball buster to get it loose and unwrap it. I'll have to disassemble the NuVinci and troubleshoot it, because for the ride home I could freewheel, but could not back pedal. The two-cable system for changing gear ratios was also damaged, so I was limited to single speed operation (tho I still had a "high" and "lo" gear through the Schlumpf/ATS drive up front). The bike was ride-able again, but I still had a problem...

The rack was toast, but as seen below there's a basket, lights, a bag and other crap attached to it - things I'd like to keep. So I spent the next 30 minutes unbolting these things and stuffing them into my back pack. I slipped the handle of the Topeak rack bag onto my right handlebar, and set off for home.
DSCF4101.JPG

Electric drive was offline. I basically tried to ride powered, and the chain jumped. Late at night, in the dark, I just didn't want to chance another wreck, so I broke the chain, stuffed it in my bag, and pedaled home.

I'm somewhat proud of the fact I kept the bike upright in the face of a locked rear wheel. But I'm pissed off that I broke some parts, and will have to do a full inspect and some repairs to get the bike back on the road. I'll be commuting next week on the A-Line, and hopefully have time next weekend to get this bike back on the road.

Glad you are OK! :shock:

-JD

The bike took some damage, but the rider didn't! OK outcome.
Bright side if there is one: winter holidays a good time for an drivetrain verhaul opportunity?

Back