• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

The famous EV MOTOR SOUND debate...vs old good V8 !

The brush less RC motors sound very nice to i think, i watch many model planes and
the helicopters on youtube have you guys seen them fly they look like a dragonly fly on drugs
see this one and listen to the motor it has a whine/whistling type of sound you can hear beside the noise of the blades of the helicopter

[youtube]p8t41avFuCc[/youtube]

I admit i love the sound of V8 though especially with baffled side pipes..

[youtube]DJHQ7YRSzZo[/youtube]

Faking petrol sounding motors on an electric i think is a little corny.

I only want the ability to add sound as a safety thing. If I'm not travelling in a built-up area then the quieter the better.

What about the possibility of taking the sound of the motor/transmission and amplifying/processing it to add a lower frequency component?

Miles said:
What about the possibility of taking the sound of the motor/transmission and amplifying/processing it to add a lower frequency component?
Toy & novelty stores sell "voice changer" amplifiers that distort incoming sound with electronic processing:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bi ... &key=MK171
MK171.gif

TylerDurden said:
Miles said:
Toy & novelty stores sell "voice changer" amplifiers that distort incoming sound with electronic processing:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bi ... &key=MK171
MK171.gif

Oh.. I reconize one of these popular Vellman kits :)

Doc

made in china version of playing cards in the spokes is a triple threat.
cheep, never runs out of juice, & most important, no drag.

Bicycle or scooter Horn that makes an exciting motor-bike sound.
No batteries needed, just twist the grip.

picture

act now!
we have no chairs!
operators are standing by!!

The only thing cooler than the V8 sound would be the power up sound as in this demo:

[youtube]feXM9Nml_74[/youtube]

I would like the option of being SILENT when I'm alone on an E-Bike early in the morning in an RV park or one of our beautiful state/federal parks...but

There are times I would like to be making noise, for the benefit of pedestrians, or blind citizens, or for a variety of reasons...

What I'm most interested in hearing is not which sounds are fun or apropriate, each enthusiast will choose for themselves what sounds they like (Harley rumble, turbine whine, music etc) but whats the best way to store and project sounds?

MP3's on a separate music system pointed forwards? some other method?

I've had plenty of ear-ter-tainment from ICE engines.
My ebike is silent relief; not even the clicking of any freewheel because it's a coaster brake bike.
And the eZee motor is nearly dead silent: bystanders cannot hear it at all; just my little bell, ding ding,

which sound is a pleasant and friendly alert for folks walking their dogs on our shady, quiet streets.

---------
I had a Go Ped once. I worked to muffle it; got it pretty damned quiet. But still.... I do not miss ICE engine noise;
silence is a main draw for me toward electric vehicles. Grey ghosts of the early electric past concur.

Alle was in her eighties. I asked her why she never learned to drive.
"I won't do it. I have a fear about it planted in me in 1910 when my best friend,
driving an electric car, backed silently from her parking space and crushed a woman pedestrian under the wheels.
She was never the same. I thought, "I can't bear the distant possibility of ever harming a pedestrian, so I will never drive."

Well, ding ding and no reverse, and it's still 20mph, just like 1910, and it's just a bike and not an obnoxious ICE bike,
no offense intended.

michaelplogue said:
Bicycle bells are sufficient for safety's sake. No need to make any extra noise if it's not warrented.

My own experience has been that a squealing front brake effectively gets the attention of the most jaded pedestrians who might otherwise ignore a bicycle bell.

At times when a bell seems inappropriate whilst mingling with peds, a vocalised hissing sound carries well and conects with some part of our brains to signal danger. It's effective and can be less startling than a bell in quiet surroundings.

Any noisemaker that can set off car alarms seems doubly dumb to me.

i remember reading that some controllers and motors could play a tune using the motor windings. it they can play a tune then surely we could ture controllers to play any noise we like. just like in the top gear formular 1 episode where they played the top gear theam tune using the engine of the F1 car.

i think it would be cool to be able to play around with the sound that your motor makes. i would pay for that. i would go for the Wrigthspeed X1sound. or maybe something abstract from starwars?

The Renault F1 car is what your talking about, i saw this happen in ~2006 it plays several tunes here is it playing god save the Queen

[youtube]T7--6RiFVR8[/youtube]

I think this is to show responsiveness of the v10 engine they used to use, they are so loud it makes your bones shake when you are near them when running. Most incrediable sound (if your a petrol engine fan of course) are these F1 cars at full noise on the track, if you ever get the chance to gotto a F1 Grand Prix DONT FORGET EAR PLUGS/Muffs they area MUST.

What i would really have on my bike is that famous amazing Vtech honda engine sound!!!

almost from 15 to 28sec in this video!
:shock: :mrgreen: [youtube]GfToIocVpyQ[/youtube]

I love that !... some engine sound synthesizer circuit should have some variable harmonic change over the dynamic of the pitch.. so at 5200rpm (on the honda).. let say 60% throttle on ebike... the vtech sound could start..

Doc

Miles said:

Ey

no stealing my ideas. :?

I might try it for the lulz on the 406 project. As it is, I'll need a DC/DC for the pump and possibly fans, so a simple amp and filter wouldn't be too much extra work.

1. To warn pedestrians - use a bell
2. To warn car drivers - use a klaxon
3. To indulge your desire for V8 noise - play an mp3 file TO YOURSELF THROUGH HEADPHONES -volume controlled by throttle perhaps - I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!

One of my turbo 4cyl cars at the drag strip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSZYt2H11aU

The car I'd really like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwIniaHIUE
And that would a cool EV sound too.

Lowell said:
One of my turbo 4cyl cars at the drag strip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSZYt2H11aU

The car I'd really like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwIniaHIUE
And that would a cool EV sound too.

Hey Lowell! Great to see you are still here! :wink:

Stoked! I want a singing motor controller to make the hubmotor actually talk!

"I used to pass gas. NO more beans for me; I'm ELECTRIC".

"Screw Big Oil but not with a screw".

"Silence is Golden. So is my talking."

"Beep beep. Antiarab-mobile coming through!"

"Baby you can ride my car..."

:mrgreen:

Reid Welch said:
Stoked! I want a singing motor controller to make the hubmotor actually talk!

"I used to pass gas. NO more beans for me; I'm ELECTRIC".

"Screw Big Oil but not with a screw".

"Silence is Golden. So is my talking."

"Beep beep. Antiarab-mobile coming through!"

"Baby you can ride my car..."

:mrgreen:

This wouldn't actually be that hard...I've hooked up a small amp made to drive computer speakers to some small brushed motors and it worked well enough. HDD heads worked better, though. :wink:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46815
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38657

My inlaws retired to a small seaside counrty town and each year they have a goffer race in the main street.
We were going to rock up with a goffer equiped with a huge stereo blasting out a V8 hemi drag car reving it up.
Never did it but would have been worth a giggle or two

Back