The *Genesis* is only the begining...

Sorry guys,

The drive train parts that Thud made are great and holding up well.

It's just that the CA and controller are..stupid (for lack of a better word) when using the aux input for current throttle. I have v2.25 and it looks like I purchased the wrong CA (v3)... I'm sure all that banging wasn't really good for the drive train.

The only difference (besides magnet strength) between the old mag bell and the new one that I can tell is that the old one has metal strips (long blocks) in between each magnet. The motor is just fine with the old bell on, only a bit weaker. I wonder if maybe an external sleeve would be good to give it more rigidity.

What do you guys think of "using" the shunt sense line itself inside the controller to do a current throttle?

The clavicle is working fine!... :wink: Now I've just got to get both good at the same time! :roll:

Later,
Jay

Good job! Glad you got it running!

Your bike looks so weird but it is beautiful! It must be a lot of fun to ride off road too. I am jealous of that fan you have, my 80-85 motor gets hot when I go up hill at 35mph for a couple of minutes.

What model of Fox shocks is that, and was it hard to install.
169kuj6 (2).jpg

They are Fox-40 RC2's (2007 or 8 I think). They popped on with no trouble and no mods. Just make sure if you buy one used that the steering tube is long enough. My 40's were used (from ebay) so the steering tube was cut to 7", though this meant I could only use a direct mount stem for the handbar...that's what I wanted anyway. :D

Sorry I am not making time for forum posts...I do want to answer each post with an individual reply AND make nice big picture and documentation posts, but I have a deadline now to get the bike done. Pam, Lily and I are going on vacation to a lake side cabin on the finger lakes the second week in july and I'd like to take it with me. My lipos (24 4s hardcase packs) just arrived, and I've got to get the new batt boxes done...and all of the other things like lighting and lipo balance circuits, seat and body panels, ect..

I have gotten pretty far since all the pics on the last page. I've started the new "top" for the custom seat and dash, the front has a Shinko 244 16x3 tire and a hayes 9" rotor, the electronics box is done and wires sheathed, throttle has been returned to normal (waist of at least a weeks time trying the CA current and speed throttle override features), I've removed the torque limiter in favor of a regular sprocket so I could move the motor more centered in the frame (big fan out of the way), I'm on my 5th motor mount...

ok, gotta get cutting and drilling and soldering and thinking..was that "thinking" last...oh yeah..think before you cut jay! hehe :| :mrgreen:

Later,
Jay

Hi ZOM and everyone,

We just got back from vacation today.

The shoulder is...getting used to the abuse. I fell on it again about 3 weeks ago and damaged it a little. I could tell the titanium was bent a little, but it got back to feeling OK in ~2 weeks time. Then I took the bike out again. I was taking it up to harbor freight on Union to return some flashlights I blew some of the LED's out on while I was testing how bright they could get (testing resistor circuits). I was on the sidewalk standing on the bike going about 20mph when a car came to the back exit for Tops on George Urban where there is a fence blocking the view. I freaked and grabbed the brakes and I went ass over tea kettle. I broke my wrist (ER says "high level sprain" but it looks different than the other wrist now!), bent/broke my collar bone again, and got some good road rash. Always on my left side. It SUCKS! So I did not take the bike with me on vacation.

The bike took some damage too but not much. My 3 flashlight holders broke (the ones I literally just finished before I left to go to HF!) and the bike rack on the back is a little bent. No biggy, 3 new flashlight holders are on the way and I need to buy a new rear rack. I'm glad that the CA and the custom seat that I just got back from the upholsterer did not take any damage in the flip.

I just got my new rear shock. It's a 7-3/4" i2i (I think), 2.25" stroke, Romic Double D with an 800lbs spring. It fits the space I have and "fixes" the geometry perfectly! It is a little loose in the bushings but it's going to work great when I get the right ones in there. I'm thinking "these" might be just what the doctor ordered once I cut them to just the right length for the top and bottom..?... http://www.hrpracing.com/Browse.aspx?Action=Browse&Criteria=217

Sorry again to everyone that I've walked away from ES for awhile. I guess I needed that vacation!

I've been taking pics of my build progress so I can make big posts someday..but here are some I took just now so you can see the condition its in at the moment. It's such a love-hate relationship! :twisted: :evil: :roll:

9sz7lg.jpg

2igs3.jpg

..Ah what the hell..here's a few of the other pics I took during the build. A preview of sorts I guess.. :)

161yxx1.jpg

m31pz.jpg

msw2t.jpg

2dllqph.jpg

33283m0.jpg

Later,
Jay

Oh shit, arrays of 10 x60s?

It's hard enough to pull apart a single x60 sometimes. Two, maybe ok. Three, maybe ok. But 10?? I figure you ought to pick up some X150s. I heard they're nice. Or the 6mm bullets. But hey, I also understand the "whatever is on hand" mentality that I assume motivated using 10 x60s as the connector.

Edit: OOOohh, looking closer I realize a bit motivation was the very very easy serial connections there. And presumably whatever battery you have has an x60s connector on it (4s hardpacks?)

Yep, they are the ~$20 4s harcase packs from HK that I had to wait 3 months for from the USA warehouse. I had to put XT-60's on all of them as the bullets they come with are bigger/longer than they need to be, are very hard to plug/unplug, are cheep/crap, and I couldn't do that plug array all neat like-like I did with the awesome XT-60's.

That there was my 3rd iteration of how to solder xt-60s together in bundles, and I think I hit the jackpot for size and convenience this time! I was very proud of myself after "failing" twice. :roll: :)

I chose 5 across because it is now exactly the same width as one of the hardcase packs are. I originally planned to have some packs in the middle, but I then realized I was going to need that space for all the wires and plugs. That^ XT-60 array sits in there now and all the wires plug into it so nice and clean. 8)

Here's some pics of how I did it the first and second time. This was when I was running less packs. First one = lame. With the second one it quickly became apparent that having the wires come out "opposite" of each other was taking up too much space.

fvgz8x.jpg

28h3ivr.jpg

t53wip.jpg

Gotta go, later,
Jay

Hi guys,

I've put the bike and/or parts up for sale, check it out: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50011

Later,
Jay

Like this:

I used the same blind bolt method to attach the side boxes, not shown.

Attachments

• SAM_0377.JPG
    SAM_0377.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 3,500
  • SAM_0379.JPG
    SAM_0379.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 3,500
  • SAM_0389.JPG
    SAM_0389.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,500
  • SAM_0391.JPG
    SAM_0391.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 3,500
  • SAM_0407.JPG
    SAM_0407.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 3,500
  • SAM_0408.JPG
    SAM_0408.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 3,500
This is why I left...

I think I'm going to delete all my posts.

GITech said:
This is why I left...

I think I'm going to delete all my posts.

HUH?
Care to elaborate on that thought? did i miss something?
T

The first pic is the airflow through the interior of your 80-100 motor. I like the fan you found for this. In the second pic, you can increase the airflow through the interior of the motor by blocking off the gap between the fan and the motorshell.

80100CentrifugalFan1.jpg

2lk2n2w.jpg

I am impressed by the use of a lovejoy coupling as a dog-clutch, since that would reduce the amount of machining necessary to create a DIY clutch to make an over-running 2-speed transmission. This could be scaled up to much higher power levels, so it is very note-worthy. Thanks for posting this.

Hi guys,

I'll post soon, just too much going on this weekend.

Sent from my phone. :)

Later,
Jay

Thanks guys. Sorry I never replied. I'm a POS.

I'm sure you're right about the air flow thing.

I do have a shroud around the back/base of the motor now so the air has to pass along the can to reach the back of the fan there.

If you use a PCB for balancer connectors, you save a lot of time when soldering. Made y couple of packs, solder together wires sucks, solder XH plugs to a PCB is a matter of seconds ;) Also looks better/cleaner, no more cable spaghetti

Back