The Haleakala Volcano test

Largescooters.com, and the manufacturer, apparently sell optibike:

http://www.largoscooters.com/optibike.html

http://www.optibike.com/view/PRODUCTS/2007_Optibike_Models_and_Accessories/Pricing/

xyster said:

http://www.optibike.com/view/PRODUCTS/2007_Optibike_Models_and_Accessories/Pricing/
Yea Danny did say he had ONE last year.So what? Its the first sale that I have heard of. My ex partners sold ONE motor too. lol

Reid Welch said:
Nothing beats a direct drive wheel with a free hub and a single chain reduction as far as efficiency is concerned.
Q: is your large driven wheel a freewheel? I think I heard you say that you can regen? Then it's not a freewheel and your bike cannot by pedaled -as a normal bike without e-power-.

And if this is all so, your bike is not a bike in the understood sense,
it is an e-moped, and out of my sphere of personal interest.

I, and most here on this panel, are electric-assist bicyclists.
Then I suggest that all of you who have hub motors WITHOUT a freewheel in the motor to let them free spin with ZERO cogging with power off while YOU pedal.YOU guys have MOPEDS !.I do not.I just have a ebike that goes fast when I like it to.Get your thoughts streight... lol

EbikeMaui said:
xyster said:

Yea Danny did say he had ONE last year.So what?

So, in the penultimate post of the last page, you stated:
" A photos of prototypes do not constitute a product. "
denying the product existed except as a prototype. Now you acknowledge you already knew of at least one vendor selling finished optibikes. I'd think you'd want to know your competition! I'm just trying to be helpful -- don't shoot the messenger.

xyster said:
EbikeMaui said:
xyster said:

Yea Danny did say he had ONE last year.So what?

So, in the penultimate post of the last page, you stated:
" A photos of prototypes do not constitute a product. "
denying the product existed except as a prototype. Now you acknowledge you already knew of at least one vendor selling finished optibikes. I'd think you'd want to know your competition! I'm just trying to be helpful -- don't shoot the messenger.
Just because ONE was finally sold last year Does this mean Optibike was a product since 1999? You guys are funny.. Optibike is Not my competition unless they prove there product by racing me. Even at that I still do not consider them competition. lol

knoxie said:
I'm not sure the optibike could beat you without Craig peddling, but combine Craig and the optibike and I think it would be a close one.

Knoxie
Think about this: Craig Weakly may put out 300 watts pf pedal power for 1 hour pedaling IF he can? To average 12 mph up this volcano with a 150 lb bike and a 160 lb rider takes about 528 watts of power per hour at 48 volts- + Craigs pedaling power of 300 watts of pedal power for 3 hours ? = 9oo watts and a total of 684 watts for 3 hours of motor power needed= 1584 of total power is needed.If Weakly can provide the other 900 watts of pedal power? Remember that my bike is with 80 lbs of battery weight.Now try to fighre out the formula with a 2400 watt lhour lithium pack at 75 volts weighing a total of 44 lbs.= enough power to make it up the top of the volcano at a average speed of 18 mph one way up hill.. Of course Weakly with his 900 watts of pedal power will only need to use 684 watts of battery power OR LESS since the total weight is much lighter needing to carrying only 15 lbs of batteries extra weight besides the motor weight.=Weakly is dust compeating with human powered bicycles up hill.Unless he adds a larger battery pack and a more powerful and more efficient motor system.A Optibike video trip up a half mile hill like this wolld prove it.Craig would be a fool to expose the truth and loose his money and Optibikes false representation in a bet.But I am ready any day if he chooses to.
http://tinyurl.com/yj4jv6
WTF Craig can try to beat my eBIKE Worlds Record IN THE CycleToTheSun RACE IF HE CAN or I sholud I say If he has the balls to try it himself ? LOL As it is Craig renaged on his own challange.
http://tinyurl.com/4zqt5
Hope you learned something........... Aloha!
http://tinyurl.com/y9hh8s

EbikeMaui said:
knoxie said:
I'm not sure the optibike could beat you without Craig peddling, but combine Craig and the optibike and I think it would be a close one.

Knoxie
Think about this: Craig Weakly may put out 300 watts pf pedal power for 1 hour pedaling IF he can? To average 12 mph up this volcano with a 150 lb bike and a 160 lb rider takes about 528 watts of power per hour at 48 volts- + Craigs pedaling power of 300 watts of pedal power for 3 hours ? = 9oo watts and a total of 684 watts for 3 hours of motor power needed= 1584 of total power is needed.If Weakly can provide the other 900 watts of pedal power? Remember that my bike is with 80 lbs of battery weight.Now try to fighre out the formula with a 2400 watt lhour lithium pack at 75 volts weighing a total of 44 lbs.= enough power to make it up the top of the volcano at a average speed of 18 mph one way up hill.. Of course Weakly with his 900 watts of pedal power will only need to use 684 watts of battery power OR LESS since the total weight is much lighter needing to carrying only 15 lbs of batteries extra weight besides the motor weight.=Weakly is dust compeating with human powered bicycles up hill.Unless he adds a larger battery pack and a more powerful and more efficient motor system.A Optibike video trip up a half mile hill like this wolld prove it.Craig would be a fool to expose the truth and loose his money and Optibikes false representation in a bet.But I am ready any day if he chooses to.
http://tinyurl.com/yj4jv6
WTF Craig can try to beat my eBIKE Worlds Record IN THE CycleToTheSun RACE IF HE CAN or I sholud I say If he has the balls to try it himself ? LOL As it is Craig renaged on his own challange.
http://tinyurl.com/4zqt5
Hope you learned something........... Aloha!
http://tinyurl.com/y9hh8s

I already know I'm gonna regret pulling on this thread to try & unravel your bawl of yarn.

I did as you axed & thought about what yoos writ.

I think best on my bike so I went out for a ride to carefully consider the data you presented.

I stopped at a park bench overlooking the river valley, running the numbers through my head.

While I watched the sun go down, I came to a profound realization that inevitably led to an inescapable conclusion & formulated the only response possible.

Attachments

• huh.gif
    huh.gif
    1,015 bytes · Views: 3,718
Turbo said:
I came to a profound realization that inevitably led to an inescapable conclusion & formulated the only response possible [huh?].

Yah. Me three.

EbikeHooey said:
Craig Weakly may put out 300 watts pf pedal power for 1 hour pedaling IF he can?

I might put out 3 million watts if I can. Or I might not if I can't. :?

Randy appears to have suffered permanent drain bamage -- probably due to severe oxygen deprivation after wiping out while surfing, coupled with smoking WAY too much "Maui Wowee".

Reid Welch said:
Let's not troll in return? Why sink when we can fly-

fish. Wear waders, is all.

:wink:

At 53, the inverse of my age, Reid, the voice of maturity -- quite sage. :)

I was actually meaning Randy and the Optibike should street race. Throw in some twists and turns too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VC83DbQzQc&mode=related&search=

http://www.optibike.com/view/VIDEO/Video/Video/

Check out the opticross video, a good example of the decent handling as well, its not all about speed and range is it, the one thing about most e-bikes is they handle like pigs, throw around a good quality unassisted bike for a while and you really notice how bad most e-bikes handle, weight up top etc etc.

I think the Opti would be perfect with a fatter motor maybe 1kw or so, I didnt used to warm to it so much but I do now, I think its a nice ride and would love to test one.

Races are not just won on speed alone are they!! get to some singletrack with both bikes as they are both mountain bikes after all, also do a stop test see who can stop the quickest etc etc, these are all important when making direct comparisons bike to bike, Randy may have the edge in range and top speed but the Opti would easily win in all others as it should do for the price, its like comparing a Ferrari to a Nissan with a souped up engine really.

Cheers

Knoxie

knoxie said:

Check out the opticross video, a good example of the decent handling as well, its not all about speed and range is it, the one thing about most e-bikes is they handle like pigs, throw around a good quality unassisted bike for a while and you really notice how bad most e-bikes handle, weight up top etc etc.

I think the Opti would be perfect with a fatter motor maybe 1kw or so, I didnt used to warm to it so much but I do now, I think its a nice ride and would love to test one.

Races are not just won on speed alone are they!! get to some singletrack with both bikes as they are both mountain bikes after all, also do a stop test see who can stop the quickest etc etc, these are all important when making direct comparisons bike to bike, Randy may have the edge in range and top speed but the Opti would easily win in all others as it should do for the price, its like comparing a Ferrari to a Nissan with a souped up engine really.

Cheers

Knoxie
as if you rode both bikes lol

EbikeMaui said:
knoxie said:

Cheers

Knoxie
as if you rode both bikes lol

Have you?

And while I'm asking, am I to infer from your implying that you've had yer a$$ on every seat from CrystalyteX5, Puma, & the multitude of various flavours of Heinzmann motors available. You're claiming they all overheated & could not make it to the top? I find it hard to believe Heinzmann can't make something better than you can in a garage. Even if it's not faster I can't imagine they would release a product that won't stand up for 3 hours of continous duty. It stretches all credibility.

Hi

Yes Randy does this on every single board he goes on, he will argue black is white, I still think his bike is a good idea its just Randy himself as a person that is the problem, his bike idea is a good application for a homebrewer but ugly and not practical for general use, a simple hub motor is all that most people need, his biggest and continual assumption is that the wider world wants volcano climbing e-bikes that can go for 60 miles on a charge, they dont!! look to China, e-bikes are massive business, they are all happy cycling along on cheap 300-500W hub motors.

He is trying to sell his bike to a market that isnt there, ugly noisy complicated gears and chains or nice simple hub motor? its a no brainer.

He hasnt tried an opti a puma or anything much else took them up a mountain, he is just making blind assumptions like he always does and just ignores all the videos and great reports we all make on stuff that works and is available, if his motor is so great ask him what happened to the first and only one he sold to Ken Trough ask him how well it performed on the flat lands of the USA!!

Well I will tell you, it burned!

Randy is a dreamer, no I haven't ridden an optibike but its easy to see the better handling machine, If you honestly think your 50 dollar MTB bouncy brick bike would ride better than the optibike then you are much farther down the path than i first thought, its going to be tricky to ride that bike of yours in straight jacket :lol:

Knoxie

Dated April 13, 5:28pm at the TFF.

Hey everybody- If anyone is in the Bay Area and wants to test ride an
Optibike 600t I will be in San Francisco until Sunday night. What a
place to test out the Optibike hill climbing power!! Send me an email
at c...@optibike.com and we can meet up!

Craig

It's as though Craig Weakley has been following this discussion.
'So you wanna test ride? Your wish is my command.'

Didn't see it posted anywhere else so forgive me for stuffin it in here.
Pls ignore the email address, as it's only a straight text copy.

knoxie said:
Hi

Yes Randy does this on every single board he goes on, he will argue black is white, I still think his bike is a good idea its just Randy himself as a person that is the problem, his bike idea is a good application for a homebrewer but ugly and not practical for general use, a simple hub motor is all that most people need, his biggest and continual assumption is that the wider world wants volcano climbing e-bikes that can go for 60 miles on a charge, they dont!! look to China, e-bikes are massive business, they are all happy cycling along on cheap 300-500W hub motors.

He is trying to sell his bike to a market that isnt there, ugly noisy complicated gears and chains or nice simple hub motor? its a no brainer.

He hasnt tried an opti a puma or anything much else took them up a mountain, he is just making blind assumptions like he always does and just ignores all the videos and great reports we all make on stuff that works and is available, if his motor is so great ask him what happened to the first and only one he sold to Ken Trough ask him how well it performed on the flat lands of the USA!!

Well I will tell you, it burned!

Randy is a dreamer, no I haven't ridden an optibike but its easy to see the better handling machine, If you honestly think your 50 dollar MTB bouncy brick bike would ride better than the optibike then you are much farther down the path than i first thought, its going to be tricky to ride that bike of yours in straight jacket :lol:

Knoxie
Start with some Real Facts! Show me a better performing ebike that is able to climb hills ANYWHERE and also go 45 mph on the flats and last for more than a few short rides.Where is YOUR proof ? At least show your video.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=718

Again

You never address anything I bring up in the posts I make Randy, what about Kens motor? you just keep on bragging.

There are plenty of motors that match your motor, you don't have anything special at all and I cant understand why you continually feel the need to keep going on and on about it?

My USPD given the right gearing and batteries and conditions would do 45mph and climb just as well with the same efficiency, please explain again for the newbies on here just why your motor application is any better than anything else?

What does a video prove? your videos prove nothing at all and they are even more irrelevant for most people as your kit is home-brew, its like saying look here's what I can do! well I can do the same Randy and have many more vehicles in my garage that can 5 at the last count if you want a competition.

You will never change your spots and for this reason you will find little friends in this game, you successfully manage to piss mostly everyone off in this game that you meet with your constant bragging and your total denial of anything else that has been produced, there is little point in having this amazing machine that you self proclaim if people hate the person that stands behind it, not a good stance to try and promote yourself.

The only motor you ever sold to anyone else failed I think that says it all, the fact is your part the motor is probably the weakest part, everything else is stock standard parts, your motor could be replaced by a Kollmorgen or a BMC and still work the same and would be lighter and more reliable as these motors are proven.

You are on a hiding to nothing and now electric bikes are illegal I don't know why you bother still in some ways, you must wonder why after all this time that you haven't seen another bike like yours again go figure?

People wont engage with what you have to say Randy for this reason, you could tell me your bike does 200 miles per charge and is the best thing since sliced bread and I wont listen coz its coming from you.

45mph on an e-bike would be considered dangerous and illegal in most countries esp on that piece of shit walmart e-bike you ride, no wonder they have banned e-bikes on your island, again most people only want to do 21mph tops with good range and some good assist up hills, what the point in making an electric moped when they already exist? and don't you think the Chinsese would have ripped your design off if it was so great? they don't because they don't need to.

Keep on dreaming Randy but the more you keep flogging this dead horse idea the more people you are going to piss off and the less friends you are going to have, I don't see the point.

Knoxie

knoxie said:
The only motor you ever sold to anyone else failed I think that says it all, the fact is your part the motor is probably the weakest part, everything else is stock standard parts, your motor could be replaced by a Kollmorgen or a BMC and still work the same and would be lighter and more reliable as these motors are proven.

Knoxie
Your wrong again! I never sold anyone a motor.And your right It can be reproduced by Krollmorgan if you had the specs for them to fallow on a custom order.. BMC ? i have doubts they can or will make anything that wont burn up.

YES YOU DID

You sold one to Ken Trough from VV, it burned up the first time he tried it, there are others on here that remember that and the ensuing spat you and Ken had over it, so you can add lying to your list of accomplishments now Randy, nice one!

Knoxie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall imperfectly, reading old postings a long time ago, and since then they've been lost.

As I recall it, Randy's superduper motor production prototype was made and assembled by his non-Hawaii partner/s, and Randy had no part in the actual casting, machining, assembly, testing or anything of that motor;
that he never had eyes or hands on that one-off sample;

and that his partner/s were souring on Randy already, and they mailed the motor off to Ken

and Ken put it on a bike and the motor failed like within 800 feet of running.

Something like that. So if that's true, then Randy is still wrong on a lot of things, but he's, not in err on that assertion that he never sold a motor.

How wrong have I recalled the tale? Apologies for surely mucking up some key point or other.

r.

That more or less matches my recollection Reid. Though I believe Randy was in for some $$ if the project was a success so perhaps it could be considered that technically he sold a motor, however I don't really care. His motor is actually a modified wind turbine, I can't recall nor do I care about the specifics.

I've had this debate ad nauseum with Randy previously and I've seen many others waste their time having similar discussions. There is no point, the motor is nothing special, the drivetrain is nothing special, it's just a one off home brewed ebike that works well for it's builder. Nothing unique there either.

I find it irritating when someone who has no experience with a mass produced kit attacks satisified customers of said kits, but I learned long ago to ignore such ignorant commentary. I'm mainly in this thread to giggle at the Randy-baiting, I've read all his responses before in other forums (they never stray far from the well established pattern).

Back