The ol Wineboy horn button regen trick

Dogman wrote: Also considering a rocker switch, for the really big mountain descents. So it could be on for 45 min going down without having to mash the button all the way. Connect it to both wires, the switch would be able to turn it on, or I could use the horn button. Regen will be a nice thing to have as I head into the mountains this summer. The rockies are pretty big hills.
Yep. I use it if and whenever I come back down the mountains from my house as the grade is pretty steep coming down from Round Mountain to my house. It could actually be a life saver if any one of your caliper breaks accidentally on you. With a big cargo bike coming down a steep grade you CANNOT have too much breaking power. :p

Good point about the heat AW. Having just climbed up 1000-3000 vertical feet, the motor will not be cool coming back down. DD motors make heat descending a hill without regen, but I suspect it's less than with regen. 800w sounds puny, and unable to do much. But if 200w is dumping into your controller as heat, that would heat er up fast.

Good time to stop, enjoy the view, have lunch at the top.

Nice to have a 5300 clyte then too. Climbing up Ausgtine pass, about 1000ft up, I don't even get a warm cover on the motor. But climbing a steeper longer grade, a stop to cool would be a good idea.

Back