The White Warrior - 40mph+ tadpole trike FINISHED!

Ok, battery box is a fail. Comes far too close to the ground, and is too flimsy. Sooo, new build! Found a massive sheet of aluminium diamond plate in my gradads garden, so I'm using that. Had a redesign too to get it further away from the floor. Pics will follow, once I've taken some.
The ali is 6mm thick and damn, is it ever HARD ( thats what she said...).
I always thought ali was a nice soft metal, but I've gone through 4 cutting disks so far (versus 2 disks doing all the steel on the entire trike). Welding the ali has been problematic too. Tried Durafix rods but couldn't get the base metal to 390C, it just acted like a massive heatsink. So I cheated - two part epoxy putty for the win!

Also, progress has been slow cos Ive been caning around on it so much! Was pacing a 4x4 the other day at 40mph (wide cycle path at side of 40mph limit road). When he spotted me, I smiled, waved, and started pedalling. His face was a picture!

IMAG0154.jpg

New battery box!
IMAG0157.jpg

And installed ( bolts will be other way up ultimately).

Much better, still fouls the chain though. Now I gotta make up an idler...

Epic Fail! Ok boys and girls, it seems that I am a complete idiot!
When I made the alu batt box, i used a 2 part putty to stick the edges together. This stuff sets like steel.

I stood on the box and it held beautifully, so I'm like 'that'll do fine. WRONG!
Of course, that was under compresssion, with my mounting, the box was under tension.
So, I'm out crusing last night, trying out the new battery position. Handles great. Join a nice long cycle track near my house, blast past an old guy on an invalid carriage, and open her up. 41mph GPS verified. Slowing down, thinking I should check my voltages (speedict still not showing speed - grr), then all of a sudden my battery box disintergrates :evil:

I look back to see my precious lipo strewn out on the floor behind me.
Had to do the walk of shame 2 miles home :-(

Soo, new design

IMAG0164.jpg

Fugly as hell, but hopefully it wont come apart!

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Looking at your first batt box and your most recent, I see that you have a metal band around the wooden batt box. Couldn't you go back to your alumininum batt box and secure it a bit better with a couple of metal bands bolted around it to stop it disintegrating?

Regards
Tom

Nice bike Xanda. I have purchased the plans from AZ for the Warrior myself and look forward to the project. Should be a winter project after I research a few things for it. I like your seat, did you make that or where did you get it and how much did it cost and weigh. I have some fiber glass experience but I do not like working with the stuff very much so if there was a store bought solution for a nice seat I would most likely go that route.
Wayne

waynebergman said:
Nice bike Xanda. I have purchased the plans from AZ for the Warrior myself and look forward to the project. Should be a winter project after I research a few things for it. I like your seat, did you make that or where did you get it and how much did it cost and weigh. I have some fiber glass experience but I do not like working with the stuff very much so if there was a store bought solution for a nice seat I would most likely go that route.
Wayne

Hey Wayne, glad you like ;)

I bought the seat from a company called Ocean Cycles based in Cornwall, UK. They are also on ebay (just search 'recumbent seat').
If you fancy a look at the build log, it's on the AZ forum for the Warrior.

If you haven't already, check out Spinners Warrior - absolutely top notch work!

Very good job Xanda,please post pics whan painting job it's ok.
43mph it's good speed,and 5kw with 9c it's great result.

Tpower said:
Very good job Xanda,please post pics whan painting job it's ok.
43mph it's good speed,and 5kw with 9c it's great result.

Oh I will :wink:

I've dialled the power down a bit now. 5Kw was not noticibly quicker than 4KW, and the motor heated up much quicker. So I'm back at 50A battery, 125A phase. Peaks hit about 4KW (59A battery spike).

Oh yeah, and 43mph is a SCARY speed on UK cycle tracks! Those things are bumpy! Nice on the road though...

Nice work xanda.

I always thought they should have a swing arm high enough for trucks to see that could normally be in line behind the back tire but could be swung out to the left to give trucks and cars a better visual of where you and your front tire is. Not to mention it could be used as a swatter to hit dumb frocks driving too close.

Lessss said:
I always thought they should have a swing arm high enough for trucks to see that could normally be in line behind the back tire but could be swung out to the left to give trucks and cars a better visual of where you and your front tire is. Not to mention it could be used as a swatter to hit dumb frocks driving too close.

Would be a cool idea, needs to swing out to the right over here though!

That is a truly awesome build mate!

I'm currently in the process of scratch building a tadpole from my own designs based on hundreds of google images, youtube videos, manufacturer websites etc. This is certainly adding to the inspiration stream!

Based on your experience with the 9C motor, would you recommend getting one? I'm torn between getting either the 9C or going all out and getting the Crystalite HS3540.

Stay safe on your creation! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob

MagerPain said:

I'm currently in the process of scratch building a tadpole from my own designs based on hundreds of google images, youtube videos, manufacturer websites etc. This is certainly adding to the inspiration stream!

Based on your experience with the 9C motor, would you recommend getting one? I'm torn between getting either the 9C or going all out and getting the Crystalite HS3540.

Stay safe on your creation! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob

The 9c is cool, but I'd like better acceleration. This motor at 100v in a 20" rim would be lovely, in a 26" it's a bit sluggish to accelerate for my tastes.

MagerPain said:

Rob

Great looking trike Xanda!
Ive also been working on building a Warrior trike, but i have modified alot the design to fit the setup that i want.

MagerPain
this website has a great blueprint for one, and the instructions are alot more precise then AZ

http://amidesign.ch/en_hpv-trike.htm

Back