'Theft of power' lands electric-car driver in jail

liveforphysics said:
... enabled Norway to be one of the first countries in the world who has had the electric revolution reach critical mass.

Norwegians seem to have the interesting idea that the resources of their country belong to the citizenry, and should be used to benefit the citizens.

They've made a fortune with oil in the last decades. Have the world's largest sovereign wealth fund (~$750 billion) as a result. And seem to have plans on how to invest that money in benefitting the long-term future of the country rather than on short-term boondoggles.

At the same time, Norwegians are willing to accept paying some of the world's highest pump prices for petroleum... prices that reflect the true value of petroleum and true social costs of burning it.

Smart people.

FeralDog said:
I sadly break the news to you that There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Somebody has to pay for your "free ride".

I agree! Every person filling up with oil is riding on the backs of the people in the form of extremely crooked tax systems that PAY oil companies to sell us oil at large profits, and hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars of oil subsidies.

If you want to stop freeloading, immediately switch to electric to replace your petrol consumption and you will be one less person gobbling that free-lunch on the backs of the people who support it.

Likewise, depending on the quality of crude oil and refining process, you can actually SAVE your country electricity/money/resources, as the energy wasted in refining that gallon of fuel can exceed the energy needs of an electric car to perform the same function the gallon of gas can provide.

Likewise on the money-for-lunch topic, with electric power you can keep that wealth in your own country, as electricity is generated by domestic energy sources nearly universally.

Plug in where you can, make big oil regime steal less 'free-lunch' off the plates of the citizens (If you use oil or not, the subsidies are stolen from the citizens and given to big oil), and live a richer higher quality of life and reduce life impacting and extremely costly to government health issues from pollution as a result.

Since it seems legal precedent was cited a little while back regarding it being illegal for RV's to use "public" outlets, I think we can conclude that this guy broke the law.

You guys are now arguing about morality and how things "ought" to be. I doubt a debate so subjective will ever reach a conclusion ;)

Punx0r said:
Since it seems legal precedent was cited a little while back regarding it being illegal for RV's to use "public" outlets, I think we can conclude that this guy broke the law.

You guys are now arguing about morality and how things "ought" to be. I doubt a debate so subjective will ever reach a conclusion ;)
No dude that's bull shit. If he was opening a door to a private business or house and running an extension cord in to plug in then he would be stealing!

The example of the cop plugging in the RV in not a valid reason to assume the guy with the leaf broke the law. Local rules would apply. If the school board considers non students or staff trespassers, then a law was broken. Trespassing. I still think the real problem here, was that he was not welcome at school property. They are just using the electricity theft as the hook to harass the guy with.

Had this been an unsecured plug in a place open to the whole public, then there would be a much different argument. Then, there could be no trespass. It's just that touchy around schools now. Several times a year in my town, somebody acting unusual within a half mile of a school causes it to be locked down. Go act funny on at USA public school and see what happens.

Am I confused again? Do parking lots in Georgia have block heater plugs? Edit,, I guess I am confused again. A quote from a Georgia clean car group in the article on page one had me thinking the incident happened in Georgia. It was in Illinois? If so, there may be block heater plugs all over there.

But it's still not a good idea to be on public school property unauthorized. Not anymore.

And the rather LARGE volume of breathable AIR required to use Big Oil's product? It won't burn without the stuff we ALL breath and I don't see any type of meter keeping track of AIR consumption that directly benefits BIG OIL profits.

And let's not forget the millions of indgenous human beings whose political/military machine(s) regularly and often violently sell out their country's natural OIL resources for great personal profit?

dogman said:
It's just that touchy around schools now.
But it's still not a good idea to be on public school property unauthorized. Not anymore.

All the more reason to have non-harm-causing people on site enjoying them, like the concept of a neighborhood-watch function. They are public owned areas for public enjoying and use, I remember riding my bicycle to any school playground I wanted as a kid, and as long as school isn't in session, you're free to enjoy it and have weekend events and BD parties and whatever, we had a non-school affiliated soccer club that did practice at night there under the lights.

That's called fantastic and proper use of public property, just like this guy playing tennis on a weekend, and no reason those outlets shouldn't be available if he wants to plug in his crock-pot to make lunch, or his car to charge.

That's why the facility is owned by the people. That's a part of why you pay taxes for schools, despite having no children, because it's a public resource supported by the money that also (and predominately) holds a school function for a portion of the year.

I agree. There is a better solution to the issue of school security than just locking down the schools 24-7. Then spending more money on a separate park. I also enjoyed the school property being open to public use as a child. But that was before the plastic playground, that constantly has some di--head setting it on fire now. We even had nets on the rims of the basketball hoops then, and somebody was always using the cement court. We had great fun using the swings in a manner not allowed during teacher supervised recess. Never quite made that 360, but we loved trying.

But those days are gone, unfortunately. The schools just got tired of buying paint to cover the gang tags, and now they buy fence with razor wire on top when they build a new school. When I was practicing for the death race, I was using a school football stadium parking lot to practice. Then signs went up and the gate got locked more of the time. They got tired of the publics use for the lot at 2 am, as a 1/8 mile dragstrip, leaving plenty of budwiser cans behind every time. The grounds crew may have also complained about me, since I was zooming the lot at 45 mph on a race bike. But I don't think so. They never asked me to leave, or anything of the kind when I would stop to chat with them. But now the lot is posted closed to the public unless an event is scheduled.

This school where the leaf was plugged in was being watched, and when the guy they told to leave before came back.... If that's what actually happened that is.

I am not saying things should not be as you would like. I'm just saying in each town, you need to live with what is in that town. And if you don't like it enough, get down to city hall or the school board and get the changes made.

I see that again, It will be a great week to go act funny around a US primary school.

Guns in school is not new, a guy in my 8th grade class took a gun to kill a cowboy one day. But tried to shoot him with the safety on. That was in 1972.

Back