• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Thinking of overvolting my cyclone.... (lipo)

gerlewis

10 W
ive been told by Paco at cyclone-tw that the 24v kit can handle 30v, so... Im thinking of getting 2x 14.8v lipos in series to run 29.6v

Has anyone else tried this, or something similar? Would the initial voltage run a bit over like you get with lifepo4? thus pushing me over the 30v mark and blowing my controller, or does lipo not overvolt? A lower volt alternative would be 18.5 + 7.4 to give 25.9v.

Has anyone run anything similar, or got a better idea?

ps. Thanks to everyone for all my cyclone and lipo info thus far - this forum rocks

Ger

gerlewis said:
ive been told by Paco at cyclone-tw that the 24v kit can handle 30v, so... Im thinking of getting 2x 14.8v lipos in series to run 29.6v

Has anyone else tried this, or something similar? Would the initial voltage run a bit over like you get with lifepo4? thus pushing me over the 30v mark and blowing my controller, or does lipo not overvolt? A lower volt alternative would be 18.5 + 7.4 to give 25.9v.

Has anyone run anything similar, or got a better idea?

ps. Thanks to everyone for all my cyclone and lipo info thus far - this forum rocks

Ger

I don't see why it wouldn't work. A 24v lifepo4 pack runs at 28.8 to 29.6 fresh off the charger. And some guys charge higher so I would think that your 29.6 lipo shouldn't be an issue.

I used to run my 500W cyclone at 29.6V, it run fine. (22.2v pack plus 7.4Vpack or 8s pack.)

Capacitors are rated 35V, so try not to go more than 33.6V.

thanks both.

Kano - did you notice a performance increase over lower V?

Also how did you get around the problem of charging - just buy 2 chargers?

Lastly! - how many mah were your batteries and how far could you get?

Back