third GNG - The Kona Stinky

Ffith day in a row with awesome riding and no issues. Upgraded the rear-brake to avid juicy3 from an old Hayes nine. Was into a little wheelie training today with some success.
Something i like with this bike is how light it is. 23kg? Feels almost like a normal bike when pedaling, and still i can put a burst of 6kw screeming power thru the drivetrain. The specialized bighit felt much heavier. But thats a dh. This is maybe more of a freeride-bike.
Here is a pic from the all parallell charging setup. I got no possibillity of bulk-charging at 100v. This bc168 gives 8A/cell with the help of a cheap 12v/30A switched ps.
IMG_20130409_184502.jpg

christerljung said:
[youtube]_fOxtUt0qdc[/youtube]
A little vid from todays riding. Sorry for some bad quality in the middle...

Wow, that's pretty hardcore. I've taken a hard spill in the rain when I was in middle school. It took me a while to build up the courage to ride in the rain again. I don't think I could handle snow. :lol:

Sometimes,
on cheap hubs you can change them often from for example deore to lx but fore the higher grades like xt they often have little changes like the lengh of the mounting screw.

Another thing to notice is how silent the #25 first reduction is

I think the cover you made not only helps keep mud off of the parts, I believe it helps the noise of the high-speed chain too. I am happy to read your reports. I think GNG should give you a gift for all the kits they will sell from new people reading your posts!

Thanks Spinning, that's very kind of you. :D I really appreciate your posts.
After a couple of weeks of hard riding things starts to prove if they withstands this amount of power (1-3kw nominal, 6kw max).
24s Turnigy 5ah gives 25 - 35 minutes of fun between charging. controller and motor is warm in the end, sometimes hot.
The inrunner screams funny at 100v full throttle but pulls very high in rpm:s. No eddiecurrent loss that i can feel.
Got three powermodes programmed which gives good alternetives in combination with the wide spread cassette 11-34.

Good things:
brutal power
low weight
easy handling
useful pedalassist
mud and waterprotection works perfect

Bad things:
24s eat the power connectors.
chain slipping sometimes on smaller coggs.
no bulk charging yet
weak chassie for this amount of power.
chainguides needs to be good
mud and waterprotection looks ugly
mud and waterprotection make the controller and motor get warmer

Any more updates on the Kona?

Well, even if i most often ride my Scott Gambler the Kona is in good shape. It got an update with 50tooth drive sprocket and new chain and cassette. Gonna use it for winter commuting and i wanted the setup ultra silent. When running the lowest gears in the cassette the chainreduction is very silent thanks the the 50tooth, low rpm of the primary chainreduction and the strong quite motor. It also gives an amazing top speed. :mrgreen:

Heya Christer, greets from Oz.

Do you still run this bike? I think you have a Cro now.

I am wondering if you have had issues with your freewheel on the secondary side breaking like some others have experienced? Or has it been trouble free?

Back